SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2019, 10:32 AM   #161
kikastra
kikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR
Default Re: The last Saturn Astra owner.

I have the flex pipe problem again. Anyone know the cheapest place to buy a replacement, preferably in Canada, but also the US if the shipping isn't too bad?

2009 Saturn Astra XR3 5-Speed - 77,000KM

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kikastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kikastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kikastra is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2019, 05:23 AM   #162
YULAstra
YULAstra is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikastra View Post
I have the flex pipe problem again. Anyone know the cheapest place to buy a replacement, preferably in Canada, but also the US if the shipping isn't too bad?
Have you been to a proper exhaust shop to have one made ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to YULAstra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help YULAstra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
YULAstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:14 PM   #163
kikastra
kikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by YULAstra View Post
Have you been to a proper exhaust shop to have one made ?
No. Last time (2015) I bough a universal 2" x 8" one off of Ebay and had it installed at a local shop. What do you mean by have one made? An exhaust shop will make a flex pipe?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kikastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-11-2019, 10:05 PM   #164
YULAstra
YULAstra is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE

Quote:
No. Last time (2015) I bough a universal 2" x 8" one off of Ebay and had it installed at a local shop. What do you mean by have one made? An exhaust shop will make a flex pipe?
A good exhaust shop can make a new line with a quality flexpipe...

They will remove the 3 bolt flange off the manifold, bend a new section of pipe, put in a flex and reattach. It's a bit difficult to weld in a new flex because the oil pan is in the way..

Or get a new front section from the EU...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BM50155-V...4AAOSw1~JZRVyg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to YULAstra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help YULAstra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
YULAstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:59 PM   #165
kikastra

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by YULAstra View Post
A good exhaust shop can make a new line with a quality flexpipe...

They will remove the 3 bolt flange off the manifold, bend a new section of pipe, put in a flex and reattach. It's a bit difficult to weld in a new flex because the oil pan is in the way..
Ok thanks I will check that out. That would probably last longer, correct?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2019, 11:56 PM   #166
FreedomSoftware
FreedomSoftware will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraFasta View Post
A few people have complained that the manual transmission is a bit delicate but if you do a search here you can get a feel.

Things like the defective paint on bumpers/roof rack, faulty glove box will be the same on all Astras.

There is no Saturn dealer support. But some Chevy dealers can help. Parts are getting more difficult to find in junkyards and few new parts are no longer available anywhere. The Astra was developed GM's European division (Opel) which was sold to a French company last year; I don't think that will improve parts availability going forward...

To get an idea of some of the quality issues on my Astra, you can see my thread titled something like 45k miles and running like new...
My rear bumper just started getting splotchy and the clear started peeling this year. sucks but it seems a respray is in the future.

'08 Saturn Astra
-Debadge
-Vauxhall Grille
-Thule Roof Rack (and wind fairing)
-1.25" Lowered
-Windows Tint all around
-JVC Head unit
-Dual 12" Subs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FreedomSoftware's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FreedomSoftware reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FreedomSoftware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:19 AM   #167
AstraFasta
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

The front bumper adjacent the headlights has paint issues on my Black Astra and my friend's Red Astra.

On the black Astra, the primer (or maybe the bumper plastic) is black so it is not so horrific. I am thinking of just masking off and using black $10 "dip" spray.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraFasta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:09 PM   #168
kikastra

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Who plans on keeping their Astra for the long haul? If lady luck is on my side, I plan on keeping my Astra until it is no longer feasible to be kept. I recently started a new family, and have a 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan on factory order. But I still plan on keeping the Astra, even though financially speaking I should probably trade her in on the new van, but I love the car too much and its paid for in full. She's even working as the family vehicle now, but its hard to put and pull the baby out of the back seat in a 2 door.

Anyhow, all of our cars are at most around 5 years old and at least around 4 years old. So there's still plenty of life left in our vehicles, so who here wishes to become the last Saturn Astra owner?

(Opelized and Vauxhallized Astras still count. No prize except pride will be awarded).
Just my yearly bump to this thread. Its been 6 years and 2 days since this thread started. I've got 77,000KMs on the odo. Everything seems to being fine, except the dreaded flex pipe, and also some fading on my rear bumper, which I see up above a few other people are mentioning. I'll be 10 years of ownership coming this October, with hopefully many years left. Here's to everyone old and new who hopes to be the last Saturn Astra owner!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-28-2019, 08:22 AM   #169
maschinenbauer
maschinenbauer will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Just had to replace the battery for the 2nd time at 110,000 miles. Roughly 5 years and 50,000 miles per battery, which is reasonable.

The vertical door trim is starting to disintegrate in the southern heat wave. Feels really tacky and sticky, even in the morning when it is cool out.

And the TPMS system is finally starting to run low on battery. The tire pressure light trips about once a week.

Other than a few interior rattles, no real complaints from me.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pL...w1403-h1052-no

'08 Astra XE 5-speed
'72 Chevrolet El Camino
'31 Ford Model A pickup

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to maschinenbauer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help maschinenbauer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
maschinenbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:12 AM   #170
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Funny to see a lot of the same characteristics as these cars age. It's been just over 10 years of ownership for me, and I'm starting to see the slight clearcoat bubbling on the rear bumper (car is red). Otherwise the finish is in good shape. No repairs in 10+ years and 91k miles other than the flex pipe and basic maintenance. Still on original brakes and clutch, and first replacement set of tires and battery. Yes, I still haven't done the timing belt...

Sadly, the car is in the garage with a small puddle underneath due to a power steering fluid leak. Started to hear a slight steering noise and checked the level, and it was quite low. I had a lot of driving to do so I pulled the (tiny 5A) fuse and kept driving without power steering. Normal driving is OK but parking lots are a bear!

I noticed evidence of mouse activity around the reservoir (chewed firewall insulation and a few walnut shells), so I suspect there may be a link. Little b*stards. I'll bring it in soon for a look soon, but for now I'm enjoying that analog experience.

I'm still very happy with this little car and enjoy driving it, and since it's worth virtually nothing at this point and everything still works, I plan to hang onto it. I'll be going from about 6k/year to closer to 25k/year due to a relocation next month, so we'll see what happens!

Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:34 PM   #171
kikastra

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackepj View Post
other than the flex pipe and basic maintenance. Still on original brakes and clutch, and first replacement set of tires and battery. Yes, I still haven't done
Wow, I'm on my 4th battery, including the original. That's amazing your battery has lasted so long.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-30-2019, 09:51 AM   #172
tackepj

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Wow, I'm on my 4th battery, including the original. That's amazing your battery has lasted so long.
Sorry, didn't communicate clearly. I replaced the battery one time, after about 7 years. But yes, I seem to have good luck with batteries.

Just got a call from the tech regarding the PS leak, and he's stumped, but thinks it's the motor (which seems odd), which is a very expensive part. First time I've had a mechanic turn down the job, but I suspect this will become more common. He suggests I take it to the GM dealer.

Given that this doesn't appear to be a common problem, I'm not sure where to turn (no pun intended). I don't have the best opinion of the local Chev dealer, but it would really be nice to have power steering again...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-30-2019, 11:19 AM   #173
AstraFasta

Quote:
Just got a call from the tech regarding the PS leak, and he's stumped, but thinks it's the motor (which seems odd), which is a very expensive part.
Indeed this is not a common Astra failure.

Search the Euro forums for more ideas.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-30-2019, 05:48 PM   #174
eric08
eric08 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Agreed on looking elsewhere for ideas on the power steering leak. I don't think I've run across a complaint on the pump itself and I've done all the reading on the Astra I can find. I do believe you'd have to drop the subframe to service it, which may explain the mechanic's reluctance to dig deeper. Also, this is not the same POS system used in other GM economy cars of the era which were fraught with problems. The pump is an electric motor, unlikely to be the leak source. Reservoir? Lines? More likely.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eric08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eric08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eric08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:39 PM   #175
kikastra

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
kept driving without power steering. Normal driving is OK but parking lots are a bear!
Man I haven't driven a car without power steering since my dad's TR6. The effort to turn that thing when parking was insane. I hope you figure it out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #176
tackepj

2008 Astra XE

I used to own a 1994 Toyota pickup that had no power steering (from the factory), but it was easier to steer thanks to the smaller wheels and more friendly steering ratio. I did notice that once my lines and rack finally evacuated themselves of fluid on the Astra, it got a little easier to steer.

I took the car to a different mechanic for another opinion, and they came back with a leaking rack. Leaking from seals on both sides; one more than the other. This is a surprise and I'm still not sure I'm in agreement. I elected not to repair it at this time and tried replacing the fluid with Lucas leak-stop, which I realize is nothing more than a band-aid, but I'm in the middle of a 700-mile relocation and life is a little exciting at the moment.

The price for the rack replacement was pretty ugly, as has been mentioned requires dropping the subframe. The car will be trailered to our new home.
I'll give it a few weeks of commuting duty (90 miles per day) before I make any decisions. It's hard to tell, but the Lucas may have significantly slowed the leak, but I haven't used the car much.

I don't want this to be "the end", but if I'm required to go through the repair (thanks to state inspection), I have to also consider that I need to do the timing belt and my windshield is cracked (again ). I've also never done the brakes, so they can't be too far in the future. That's a lot of work into a car that frankly isn't worth very much. I'll weigh all options and give it a few weeks of thought.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-23-2019, 11:20 PM   #177
nicolas_p
nicolas_p has a spectacular aura aboutnicolas_p has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

Also checking in, coming up to 10 years of ownership and just under 200k km on my second Astra. Everything is in great condition, no peeling clear coat, sticky rubber or signs of aging. I've been waxing this car religiously since new and it definitely shows, the paint still looks better than most cars on the road. Only on my second battery and second set of brakes. My door seals have seen better days, they started warping and bulging after I got the car under coated a few years back but the car is still 100% rust free.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1961.jpg (189.5 KB, 12 views)

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:53 PM   #178
C152
C152 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2008 Astra XR

Hi all,

Very nice nicolas_p.

Decision time again for me. My 2008 3dr XR 175K km needs more than a few repairs:
Rear coils
Front links
Exhaust; resonator back
Front flex pipe
W/washer pump
4 tires - 18"
A/C does not work (don't know the source of the problem)

Need a car to get to work, however my job situation is tenuous, considering semi-retirement, so I'm not comfortable purchasing a replacement vehicle. Still, I think it's worth it getting the Astra repaired. The clincher is it looks great and is unique.

Kind Regards,
C152
2008 Saturn 5dr XE (Opelized) Astra
2008 Saturn 3dr XR (to be Opelized)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to C152's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help C152 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
C152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:31 PM   #179
AstraFasta

@C152 - That is a few thousand dollars at a shop I suppose as the AC may get expensive.

My AC compressor died a few years ago and that was an expensive fix. My car has the auto transmission and GM put a cheap metal pulley on the alternator; the auto transmission cars were engineered to have a sophisticated alternator pulley such that the accessory belt is kinder to the alternator and AC compressor. If you have the auto transmission and change the compressor, also upgrade the alternator pulley (which is somewhat painful).

Are you sure the windshield washer pump is broken? The rubber tubes under the car tend to break or slip off so mine leaked windshield washer fluid. The only way I knew was the blue drops in the snow under the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-25-2019, 08:27 AM   #180
maschinenbauer
maschinenbauer will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

nicolas_p that car looks amazing! I really should those Eibach springs and Whiteline sway bar I've been eyeing for years...

'08 Astra XE 5-speed
'72 Chevrolet El Camino
'31 Ford Model A pickup

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to maschinenbauer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help maschinenbauer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
maschinenbauer is offline   Reply With Quote