SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2007, 07:45 PM   #1
sschmotz
sschmotz is on a distinguished road

Default XR in manual paddle shift mode?

I'd like to hear some of the experiences the XR owners here have whille driving in manual mode.

For me, when I upshift, it seems to shift kind of hard after a slow delayed resoponse. When I slow down, it completely downshifts by itself like it's an automatic and I have no control over it.

Has anyone else here have the same things happen? I'd like to have more control over it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sschmotz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sschmotz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sschmotz is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2007, 07:58 PM   #2
Tbonedawg08
Advanced Member
Tbonedawg08 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: XR in manual paddle shift mode?

same trouble with my SC2. in third it down shifts by itself and id like to control that when i choose to

I'm just a normal car-crazy 17 year old...who is an intern at the police station. Trust me. That's saved me more than a few times
2002 SC2- 1.9L I4
2000 LS2- 3.0L V6
1993 1500 Silverado- 5.0L V8

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tbonedawg08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tbonedawg08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tbonedawg08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:20 PM   #3
bgates2b
bgates2b is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
1994 SL2

I have the same problem, so I don't always use the manual mode. The upshifts are so delayed that I once hit the rev limiter on a 1 - 2 upshift

I also find it is smoother to do a 2nd gear start, even though the car will downshift into 1st below 10 mph and I have to use the paddle to upshift into 2.

"Congratulations on your brand new 2007 Acura" - Tenisha, the On*Star rep that handled my call during the Aura's delivery

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bgates2b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bgates2b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bgates2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:47 PM   #4
Chevy_Rules
Chevy_Rules is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

No problem here so far. Then again, maybe I'm not pushing my baby hard enough to get these rough jerks. I also have a somewhat of a delay, but my dads BMW had a similar delay in manumatic mode. It is supposed to downshift on its own. It's not a problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chevy_Rules's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chevy_Rules reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chevy_Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:15 PM   #5
glbbrown
glbbrown is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

The XR will automatically shift when RPM's are to high or low, this is in order to protect the transmission.

At first I had the same problems with the hard shifts, I had to re-learn shifting with the 6-speed paddle shifters. I usually drive automatics, can drive four or five speeds, although I think I only driven a 5-speed once.

My advice is to get used to how the Car shifts, experiment a little. Since the XR will shift automatically in order to protect the transmission, just turn off the radio, close the windows and listen to, feel and watch the rpms. I usually shift into second at 10 MPH, 3rd by 20 mph, 4th @ 30 mph, 5th before 40 mph. I may keep it in 5th if I need power to pass. Depending on where I am driving, usually city limits I will shift into 6th once above 40 mph.

Glen

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to glbbrown's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help glbbrown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
glbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:52 PM   #6
TN1
TN1 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Your description sounds similar to my experience with manumatic shifting, but it doesn't sound like a "problem" really. The manumatic shifting on the Aura feels exactly the way it did on our Lexus IS 300. There were delays and jerking when we used it too. We always thought it was a gimmick in the Lexus and I still think it is a gimmick in the Aura.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TN1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TN1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:27 AM   #7
Seasoned
Seasoned is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

High rev changes will lead to jerkiness due to the speed that the automatic clutch is being asked to work.

I find if you use the manumatic as a manual shift during regular driving (low to medium revs), everything should work quite smoothly, however, if you pile on the revs there is an increased delay from the time you shift until the actual shift and it can be hard (almost like 'dropping the clutch' on a stick shift). I am sure the transmission has been designed to manage this type of activity and, as already been observed, the transmission will change up or down automatically to protect itself from abuse.

Contrary to other opinions, the other manumatic that I have driven (In my previous vehicle. Acura TL Type S) was very smooth during changes, however hard it was being revved, however, it too also had a slight delay during each change, just not as much as the AURA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Seasoned's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Seasoned reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Seasoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:37 PM   #8
CptMatt
CptMatt is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

The AutoStick on my Eagle Vision TSi was very quick, no lags going up or down. It was great on curved highway exit ramps. Hit the bottom of the ramp at highway speed, steer into the curve, tap down one and use the engine to brake. As the ramp tightened and the car would push out, tap it down another to haul it back in. Usually you were down to just under the regular road speed by the time you reached the top and could put your foot in it, tap up one and merge quite nicely.

I haven't had the opportunity to try that in my XR yet, but I have tried to engine brake by paddle shifting down. I noticed I had to tap it down a couple of gears to get the same braking effect that I got with only 1 tap of my old AutoStick.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CptMatt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CptMatt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CptMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:27 PM   #9
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgates2b View Post
I also find it is smoother to do a 2nd gear start, even though the car will downshift into 1st below 10 mph and I have to use the paddle to upshift into 2.
Our Hyundai is the same way. It's a 5-speed auto vs. a 6-speed auto, but there's enough power that it can do a 2nd gear start, and the 1-2 upshift has to be done quick in normal driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptMatt
I noticed I had to tap it down a couple of gears to get the same braking effect that I got with only 1 tap of my old AutoStick.
Probably because of the 4-speed auto in the Vision TSi vs. 6-speeds in the Aura XR.

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:38 PM   #10
Seasoned
Seasoned is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

The other issue I have with the paddle shifters is they disappear when turning right or left as they turn with the wheel, so you can't change gear until the wheel straightens up, this results in over revving in the lower gears.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Seasoned's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Seasoned reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Seasoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:17 PM   #11
setchell
setchell is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasoned View Post
The other issue I have with the paddle shifters is they disappear when turning right or left as they turn with the wheel, so you can't change gear until the wheel straightens up, this results in over revving in the lower gears.
I agree. Somewhat annoying.

Also, I am confused regarding the first shift in manual mode. When I stomp it in first gear and fail to shift before the needle hits the redline rpm, the trans does not shift into 2nd gear automatically. It goes into a freewheeling mode and I must let up on the gas then shift into 2nd. Is this normal?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to setchell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help setchell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
setchell is offline   Reply With Quote