SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2007, 02:07 PM   #1
MatthewD102
MatthewD102 is on a distinguished road

Default Aura Green Line

Has anyone been to their local dealership to drive the new Green Line? I know I have a bias opinion because I sell them, but I believe this will be a great vehicle. Give it a try, you'll be impressed, I know I was!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MatthewD102's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MatthewD102 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MatthewD102 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2007, 03:17 PM   #2
saturncanuck
saturncanuck is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2006 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: Aura Green Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewD102 View Post
Has anyone been to their local dealership to drive the new Green Line? I know I have a bias opinion because I sell them, but I believe this will be a great vehicle. Give it a try, you'll be impressed, I know I was!!!
I'm not sure they are building them yet .....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturncanuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturncanuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturncanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:45 PM   #3
sherwool
sherwool is on a distinguished road

Quote:
... but I believe this will be a great vehicle. Give it a try, you'll be impressed, I know I was!!!
Matthew-

It's good to hear a few words about the GL- it's the Aura that I am genuinely interested in buying ... once my 1990 Accord gives up the ghost. Could you describe some of the ways the GL most impressed you? I would presume it's very similar to the XE in terms of comfort and decor, and that most of what is impressive about it cannot be ascertained visually. [The Aura GL would never have seen the light of day under previous GM management, which only wanted improvements the CEO could see Jack Smith was it?] The GL is probably slightly noisier than the XE, but Im still hoping it qualifies as a quiet automobile- can you comment on that? You probably realize it appeals to a different segment of the market than the X?: we potential GL buyers aren't really in to performance and don't pine for the RL to achieve street cred. In fact, we probably incline toward the "automobile as appliance" school of thought ... where the GL faces some pretty formidable competition.

I do wonder if GM is trying to extract too much of a premium for the Aura GL. If my 17 year old (how old is that in car years?) vehicle died tomorrow, Id probably settle for a Civic. For the six thousand dollars price differential between a Civic LX and an Aura GL, I gain rear leg room and safety in the event of a collision. And the six thousand dollars buys a lot of rear seat leg room in my book. Am I grossly oversimplifying the comparison?

The Aura GL would be even more impressive with a six-speed transmission, which I hope materializes in 2008. If it doesn't, I could imagine buying a Malibu- which I understand will come with a six speed transmission mated to an Ecotec 2.4- or a, a ... well let me not press any hot buttons among the car enthusiasts on this site.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sherwool's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sherwool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sherwool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:51 AM   #4
strat81
strat81 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherwool View Post
For the six thousand dollars price differential between a Civic LX and an Aura GL, I gain rear leg room and safety in the event of a collision. And the six thousand dollars buys a lot of rear seat leg room in my book. Am I grossly oversimplifying the comparison?
If you have kids, the larger cabin will make it easier to buckle them into their car seats. You also get a bigger trunk, and more shoulder & hip room.

And don't discount how important safety is. Hospitals and doctors are incredibly expensive. Not only do you have actual costs of the hospital, you have lost wages, pain & suffering, the guilt of potentially having injured passengers, etc. Personally, I wish I could drive around in the largest vehicle possible (Suburban? H2?) but finances preclude that. My last car was a Saab 9-3 which had stellar safety ratings, and the Aura doesn't lag too far behind it. Think about how much time you spend in a car, and consider that you are operating a 3,500 pound piece of steel at 60mph 3 feet from someone who might be drunk, high, arguing, talking on a cell phone, getting freaky with his lady passenger, etc

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to strat81's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help strat81 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
strat81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:34 PM   #5
MatthewD102

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherwool View Post
Matthew-

It's good to hear a few words about the GL- it's the Aura that I am genuinely interested in buying ... once my 1990 Accord gives up the ghost. Could you describe some of the ways the GL most impressed you? I would presume it's very similar to the XE in terms of comfort and decor, and that most of what is impressive about it cannot be ascertained visually. [The Aura GL would never have seen the light of day under previous GM management, which only wanted improvements the CEO could see Jack Smith was it?] The GL is probably slightly noisier than the XE, but Im still hoping it qualifies as a quiet automobile- can you comment on that? You probably realize it appeals to a different segment of the market than the X?: we potential GL buyers aren't really in to performance and don't pine for the RL to achieve street cred. In fact, we probably incline toward the "automobile as appliance" school of thought ... where the GL faces some pretty formidable competition.

I do wonder if GM is trying to extract too much of a premium for the Aura GL. If my 17 year old (how old is that in car years?) vehicle died tomorrow, Id probably settle for a Civic. For the six thousand dollars price differential between a Civic LX and an Aura GL, I gain rear leg room and safety in the event of a collision. And the six thousand dollars buys a lot of rear seat leg room in my book. Am I grossly oversimplifying the comparison?

The Aura GL would be even more impressive with a six-speed transmission, which I hope materializes in 2008. If it doesn't, I could imagine buying a Malibu- which I understand will come with a six speed transmission mated to an Ecotec 2.4- or a, a ... well let me not press any hot buttons among the car enthusiasts on this site.
The green line is almost identicle to the XE except for a few things.

1. Alloys are now standard, and exclusive to the green line
2. Climate control is standard (not available on XE)
3. $1300.00 tax refund for purchasing a hybrid
4. Tire pressure monitors tell you exact pressure in each tire live.
5. There's an instant read out on the MPG, not just an average

The Aura does have 5 stars front, and side. There's also a very unique feature that Saturn offers on the Aura and Outlook. It's call Rear Dynamic Proportioned Brakes. What this does, in the event of a harsh braking, is that it sends more braking power to the rear, and will keep the vehicle flat instead of lurching forward. This is a big safety feature that all of my customers are extremely impressed with. You should definitely take on out and give it a try, I know you'll be impressed, and if safety is number one on your list, this is a great car for you. There's also a special safety feature for the rear occupants. If you open the back doors, and look down near the bottom of the frame of the body of the vehicle you will notice a silver bolt sticking out. This bolt is call a Door to Body anchor bolt. What this does, is if you are hit from the side, it will keep the rear door from folding into the cabin. BIG BIG BIG Safety equipment on this vehicle. I have dozens of more safety points on this vehicle but my hands are getting tired.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MatthewD102 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-12-2007, 12:51 PM   #6
TN1
TN1 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

In my experience, hybrid buyers are people with strongly held views about dependence on foreign oil, or they are people with strongly held views about global warming and the environment. For most of them, the key item is the mpg. If you look at the (2008) EPA numbers for the four cylinder sedan hybrids, the Aura comes out last, but a little ahead of standard 4 cylinders:

Prius 48/45, 46 combined
Civic 40/45, 42 combined
Camry 33/34, 34 combined
Aura 24/32, 27 combined

Compare those numbers to the regular gas engine:

Accord 4 cyl. 21/31
Pontiac G6 4 cyl. 20/30

I think most buyers will pass the Aura GL up for a better equipped regular 4 cylinder (because many options aren't available on the GL) or the buyers will opt for the hybrids that get better mileage, especially with the new lower price on the Prius. I'd like to see the Aura GL succeed, but I don't think it is in tune with the market. Guess we'll see!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TN1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TN1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:32 PM   #7
MatthewD102

MSRP......................Tax Credit........w/ credit...............MPG........Yrs to make up difference
AURA GL........$22,695..$1,300..........$21,395........ ........31
Altima Hybrid..$25,015..$2,350..........$22,665.......... ......39..............4.7
Camry Hybrid..$26,820..$650.............$26,170......... .......39.............17.5

this is at gas prices $2.75/ga, and 15,000 miles per year. If anyone would like to have the chart (excel format) I can e-mail them.

Who has the better value?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-12-2007, 04:49 PM   #8
sixsigma
sixsigma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
MSRP......................Tax Credit........w/ credit...............MPG........Yrs to make up difference
Altima Hybrid..$25,015..$2,350..........$22,665.......... ......39..............4.7
Camry Hybrid..$26,820..$650.............$26,170......... .......39.............17.5

this is at gas prices $2.75/ga, and 15,000 miles per year. If anyone would like to have the chart (excel format) I can e-mail them.

Actually, the EPA numbers going forward have the GL at 27 mpg and the Altima / Camry at 34 mpg. As a side note, there are different levels of features on these cars that add to the price difference.

One other thing to point out about hybrids... Same numbers - GL vs. XE. 15,000 miles per year and $2.75 / gal. $700 price premium for hybrid including tax break = more than two years just to break even. Against a different car getting 25 mpg (from TN1's post), it will take 5.75 years to break even. In other words, if you want to go more miles over many years for less money, buy a four cyl - not the hybrid. Even the XE is better for a few years and it will be DRAMATICALLY better to drive + the trunk space isn't cut to the size of a good convertible.

Last edited by sixsigma; 04-12-2007 at 05:01 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sixsigma's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sixsigma reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sixsigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:00 PM   #9
TN1

2007 AURA XR

While the price of the car is obviously important, it's "values" that are selling hybrids, not "value". I've had discussions about the cost of a hybrid with people who bought them, and the people who buy them that I have spoken with are not buying them based on the money it will save them at the gas pump after a certain number of years of ownership. It is all about using fewer fossil fuels and emitting less CO2, or about using less so we have to import less from foreign countries. That is why the Prius is winning the hybrid game hands down, and why it will likely continue to. It simply has much better gas mileage than the competition, and that is the magic number in this game, not the price. Perhaps the new Vue will be a more competitive hybrid since it has the dual mode hybrid system (if I remember correctly).

Last edited by TN1; 04-12-2007 at 05:09 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TN1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TN1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-12-2007, 05:06 PM   #10
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat81 View Post
Think about how much time you spend in a car, and consider that you are operating a 3,500 pound piece of steel at 60mph 3 feet from someone who might be drunk, high, arguing, talking on a cell phone, getting freaky with his lady passenger, etc
The Ford Five Hundred/Taurus might be the safest car available now.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:14 PM   #11
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsigma View Post
In other words, if you want to go more miles over many years for less money, buy a four cyl - not the hybrid.
True but go for a Honda or Mazda

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-12-2007, 05:16 PM   #12
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN1 View Post
That is why the Prius is winning the hybrid game hands down, and why it will likely continue to.
It's the styling, even the people buying them won't admit it. The Prius stands out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-12-2007, 05:25 PM   #13
TN1

2007 AURA XR

That's true - the virtuous always want you to know they are virtuous. And a Camry hybrid, a Civic hybrid, and an Aura hybrid don't say "This is a HYBRID" quite the way a Prius does! I seem to remember reading reports based on surveys of owners that indicated the Civic hybrid wasn't doing as well because it "didn't look like a hybrid".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TN1's Reputation
Old 04-13-2007, 08:13 AM   #14
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN1 View Post
That's true - the virtuous always want you to know they are virtuous.
If you really wanted to be "clean and green" you'd try your best to get a Honda Civic GX CNG powered. I believe that car is the least polluting car ever.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2007, 10:58 AM   #15
sixsigma
sixsigma is on a distinguished road

How come Beijing has more bicycles than anywhere in the world and the air smells like a toilet bowl? Aren't bicycles clean?

Seriously, the fun with hybrids doesn't start for a few years. Then they will be plug in, diesel, and hydrogen. For now, they are for the people that want to do something "good", regardless of the financials. Spot on that the looks of the Prius are what drive the sales. How can you be a good Hollywood Celeb type without everyone knowing that you care more than everyone else?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sixsigma's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sixsigma reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sixsigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:28 PM   #16
pana_ginip
pana_ginip is on a distinguished road

Quote:

looks like aura is OK but you have to remember the resale value,car insurance,maintenance and haggle price.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pana_ginip's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pana_ginip reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pana_ginip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:48 PM   #17
TexJer78
TexJer78 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pana_ginip View Post
looks like aura is OK but you have to remember the resale value,car insurance,maintenance and haggle price.
If you go with that line of thinking....if your resale value is higher, obviously your car is worth more and so your insurance would be more since the insurance company would have to pay more out(you never get something for nothing). And...saturns dealerships have always been good about maintenance and there is no haggling with the price...ust usually your trade in value and add ons.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TexJer78's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TexJer78 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TexJer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:47 PM   #18
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:

Might as well cross the Altima hybrid off the list. It's only sold in, what, 8 states?

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:07 AM   #19
hyperlexis
hyperlexis is on a distinguished road

I drove one two weeks ago. They are extremely rare to find, so if you can, drive one before it gets sold off the lot. Overall it seemed like a nice car to own. The GL looks like the regular Aura V6 versions, except it has large green and chrome "Hybrid" badges on the front doors and trunk lid. So at least people will know you are driving a hybrid.... In terms of performance, it seemed fine for a large, four-cylinder sedan. I didn't have time to drive the other Auras so I can't really compare how it compares to the V6's, but I'd guess it has to be, obviously, slower. I only drove it on suburban streets so I couldn't really floor it, but the acceleration was ok. Nothing spectacular, but definitely not horrible. The sound insulation and very good suspension actually insulate the driver from feeling a lot of the perceptions of speed that I get in my current, smaller car. You feel like you are driving slower than you actually are. There is a green "Eco" light that illuminates when you drive 'efficiently' and the charge/assist gauge swings up and down depending on if you hit the gas or coast, etc. There is a digital instant MPG display that also helps tell the driver how he's doing. In stop and go driving it was challenging to keep the Eco light on, but I would like to see some real world highway mileage numbers. The auto stop system shut off the engine when the car stops for more than a few seconds, like at a stop light. The auto stop lasts for two minutes maximum, or until the driver eases up on the brake, presses the gas, or puts the car in park (I also read parts of the owner's manual, which explains how it all works.). When you ease off the brake, the engine immediately restarts with a small shudder and off you go. I couldn't really feel when the electric motor kicked in while driving, but you could see when the assist gauge was swinging up, so that must be when it was adding power. It kicked in when starting off and sometimes while accellerating. When coasting, you could feel a minute bit of drag from the regenerative system charging, and could also see the instrument panel gauge indicate it. One thing I did notice was that if you coasted down completely, to almost a full stop, the gas engine still stayed running, and it didn't seem like the electric motor was activated to power the car down to the stop. According to GM's brochure, I had thought the BAS electric motor was programmed to do it, but maybe just I wasn't feeling it. I don't know, it's much more subtle than I think is the system in the Civic, and definitely less noticeable than the one in the Prius. Overall it was a great car -- very nice, thick, comfortable seats, and very quiet. The interior trim could have been a tad richer (I like the woodgrain trim more, and this one had the silver plastic. -- Does it depend on exterior color???) and the upholstery cloth left something to be desired. The trunk was very large and the battery only took up a small space, located under a long plastic cover at the back o the trunk. The rear seats can still fold down and give a pass through to the trunk, which is a great feature that isn't available on the Civic hybrid. The spare tire has been replaced by an electric pump with a sealant canister, presumably to save weight. The car was equipped with Uniroyal Tiger Paws, and the door label recommended inflating them to 35 PSI. Overall, seems like a nice car and I'd definitely consider buying it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hyperlexis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hyperlexis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hyperlexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:40 AM   #20
beach109
Advanced Member
beach109 is on a distinguished road

Some real world pictures:

Interesting car, and it'll be interesting to see how it does, especially as real world mileage figures pan out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beach109's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beach109 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beach109 is offline   Reply With Quote