SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2008, 01:37 PM   #61
Michel1961
Michel1961 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Would You Buy A Saturn - Now ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by optifluid View Post
Nope, this is my last GM. Owned 2 Hyundais'. Got rid of my Elantra. Really wanted the Azera but the wife talked me out of it. Now I have this Aura. Not the worst car I've owned but not as refined as my XG350 or even close to that Azera I didn't buy.
Hum, here in Canada, the Azera's pricing starts where the Aura's leaves off. I'm not sure that is a fair comparison. I compared similarly equiped Sonata's and Aura's and, honestly, they are both nice cars but the Aura is a far nicer drive. I would still buy the Saturn if I had to do it again, dim future or not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Michel1961's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Michel1961 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Michel1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2008, 03:27 PM   #62
Spacepope
Spacepope is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marx404 View Post
Dude, you hit the nail right square on the head. THIS IS the Ultimate answer. Spot on and nothing more to add to it. Thank You.
Well, the Aura is the logical successor to the Intrigue anyway, and I just picked up my second one of those!

That being said, if I could buy another Aura, I'd do it with no hesitation.

2008 Acura MDX 109k
2007 Aura XE 80k "Betty"
2003 Silver Blue ION 2, 46k Traded "Manni"
1998 SL 63K RIP "Bewm"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spacepope's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spacepope reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spacepope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:11 AM   #63
mrbios
mrbios is a jewel in the roughmrbios is a jewel in the roughmrbios is a jewel in the rough

1997 SW2

A very easy question. No way. Even if the restructure who will you sell your saturn to? I bought mine in 1996 and I plan to retire it in 5 years or so. Just buy a toyota and be done with it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mrbios's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mrbios reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mrbios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:54 AM   #64
sdsubzero4
sdsubzero4 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

I have an 07 Aura XR and love it. Its fun and has pretty good power. I would buy another one. If for nothing, its reliable. Plus if they do dissolve Saturn, you could have a potential collector, but that is a long shot. Who knows.
But I would definitely get another Aura.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sdsubzero4's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sdsubzero4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sdsubzero4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:40 AM   #65
VWCarcrazy
Advanced Member
VWCarcrazy is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

GM is not going away. Your Saturn is able to be repaired at any Chevrolet, Buick or Pontiac dealership. Oldsmobiles stopped manufacture years ago, and yet they are easily repaired and hold good resale value. An Olds Aurora in good condition is coveted and sells quickly for top dollar in the market today. Ford and GM are equal to or better than Toyota, Honda and Nissan in quality, styling and mpg - across the board in their product lines. The issue that got GM in trouble is its inability to trim its product lines and not build so many "duplicate models" (ie: Aura > G6 > Malibu, Outlook> Enclave> Acadia>Traverse, Vue > Equinox >Torrent), or to has so large a distribution network of dealerships. The Saturn model should be replicated within GM, not eliminated. Saturn is the Lean Six Sigma (LSS) division of GM, and GM needs to learn from the Saturn successes. As the LSS model for GM, it should become the technology leading division. GM needs to do some customer profiling, and they will find that Saturn owners are very much the early adopters of technology - just as Buick owners are the staid conservatives. Buy the Saturn and buy American. It's time to draw a line in the sand and fight back against the brain-washed lemmings who continue to ignore American-made and support the US trade deficit by buying from a Foreign-based manufacturer.

2008 Aura XE 2.4L
Ocean Mist/Titanium

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VWCarcrazy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VWCarcrazy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VWCarcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:40 PM   #66
Wingnutt
Wingnutt is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR
1997 SL1

As much as I have been impressed by the two Saturns that I have purchased, '97 SL (used...for my daughters' college car) & '08 Aura (new...which beat out an '08 Camry and impressed me enough to purchase an American car again) I will have to look elsewhere when it comes time for another vehicle.

My decision has nothing to do with the cars themselves, but rather with GM. If GM would leave Saturn alone and let the company operate (profitably) as it has instead of absorbing and the planned elimination the brand, I would definitely purchase another Saturn. BUT since GM insists on removing the little things, that to me at least, separate Saturn from the other GM brands; AND raising the price for what will be an inferior vehicle, not to mention kissing the UAW's butt, I guess I will go back to Japanese and European cars. The writing is on the wall. Now that GM has begged for, and received tens of millions of taxpayer dollars to keep them from re-organizing the company and it's management through bankruptcy, they will return to business as usual.

Sorry GM but you've made yet another bad management decision that will cost you (for the second time) this customer's money and trust.

Last edited by Wingnutt; 12-19-2008 at 12:47 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Wingnutt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Wingnutt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Wingnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:14 PM   #67
simpson9764
simpson9764 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

We bought our Saturn Aura XR for one very good reason. 0% interest for 60 months. And because it's a GM, we got the extended warranty. Better safe than sorry.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to simpson9764's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help simpson9764 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
simpson9764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:31 PM   #68
J.Frost
J.Frost is on a distinguished road

After looking at the Aura and the Malibu, I ended up pulling the trigger today on a fully loaded 2008 Fusion SE. So why didn't I go with an Aura? Well, I didn't feel good about Saturn in general. Here's why.

To start, I didn't have a positive experience at the local Saturn dealership here. Far from it; the salesman I talked with was a liar and a con man. He lied about the city mileage ratings for the Aura's engines after I told him I would be doing mostly city driving. Then, he had me take a test drive in a "2008" Aura XE...which, as I later learned here on the forums, was actually a 2007. I've never run into such a sleazy salesman and the whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth.

The Aura's negative reviews in the media also had some influence on me. I understand that the media isn't the begin-all, end-all, but I will admit that their comments affected my perception of the Aura and Saturn itself.

I also have a bit of a negative history with GM. My '99 Cavalier was as problematic as they come and I was already uneasy about investing in them again.

I think the biggest elephant in the room, the one thing I didn't want to admit until I went with my Fusion, is this: I don't like where GM is headed. They're slashing features on new models and they're still tethered to the UAW. And yet they're getting bailed out by Uncle Sam...and God knows what's going to come of that. Ford isn't getting bailout money and they're pulling out all the stops to ADD amazing features to their new models. Have you seen the upcoming 2010 Fusion/Milan/MKZ family? Ford is an American company poised to make a comeback and that's something I can definitely support.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to J.Frost's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help J.Frost reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
J.Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:45 PM   #69
VWCarcrazy
Advanced Member
VWCarcrazy is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

You actually drove both the Fusion and the Aura, and you picked the Fusion??? The Fusion is not as refined (poor fit and finish, cheap plastic, cheap seat fabric), not as nice ride handling or comfort (rattles, squeeks, harsh ride, rough-shifting transmission), styling (the Fusion is dated, that is why they are restyling it for 2010, early 2009 intro) and worst mpg by several mpg in both city and highway. Yes, I drive Fusions (and Camrys, Altimas and many others) from my company fleet on a regular basis. So I have some long-term driving experience with them, and noted that as the Fusions get more miles on them - they do not age gracefully. I purposely went out and test-drove several used 2007 Fusions and Auras before I bought our new 2008, to see how they held up after 20-30K miles, and the Aura won hands down. Just about every 4 and 6 cylinder used Fusion I tested had issues (rattles, squeeks, noisy engines, rough shifting transmissionss, poor fit and finish - particularly the dash and door panels warping). Just about every used Aura was as quiet, drove and handled like a new model. I am a Ford owner from way back, and also own a 2006 Freestyle and a 2000 Mustang - and I selected the Saturn because it is the best mid-size choice out there. After over 6 months and 10K miles, we are still very happy with our choice - averaging 28.5 mpg (60 hwy/40 city mix) and still s-m-o-o-t-h as silk ride and no issues. By the way, my brother-in-law bought a 2008 Fusion at about the same time as we bought our 2008 Aura and I know from his complaints and the number of times his Fusion has been in the shop that he wishes he had made another choice. That Ford 2.3L 4 cylinder sounds and rides like a John Deere tractor, gets nowhere near the mpg as our Aura and is the most cold-blooded modern car I have ever seen. The Aura has one of the most refined 4 cylinder engines in the Ecotec 2.4L, and is rated the highest mpg mid-size car for 2009. Across the board, the GM 4 and 6 cylinder (and V8) engines are the most reliable and highest mpg in almost every class of vehicle - better than Ford, Chrysler and the imports. I do, however, applaud your decision to buy American. There are bad salespeople and bad dealerships with any brand of anything. If you make decisions based on a single isolated incident (and test driving a single Aura), believe everything you are told or read without doing your own research - and if you believe Ford has a financial leg up on GM or an edge with the UAW - you are indeed easily influenced and gullible. Now you can go to the Ford Fusion board and stop bashing GM products. Best luck with your decision.

2008 Aura XE 2.4L
Ocean Mist/Titanium

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VWCarcrazy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VWCarcrazy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VWCarcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:54 PM   #70
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Frost View Post
To start, I didn't have a positive experience at the local Saturn dealership here. Far from it; the salesman I talked with was a liar and a con man. He lied about the city mileage ratings for the Aura's engines after I told him I would be doing mostly city driving. Then, he had me take a test drive in a "2008" Aura XE...which, as I later learned here on the forums, was actually a 2007. I've never run into such a sleazy salesman and the whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth.
Do people even take the time anymore to research on their own what a car is capable of or what features it has? I mean come on, it would have taken 2 minutes to see what the EPA of a vehicle is. Did you not see a window tag stating what year it was? I guess people sit around and read biased editorial articles and base thei choise upon that.

Quote:
I don't like where GM is headed. They're slashing features on new models and they're still tethered to the UAW.
Slashing features? LOL where do you get this? If anything they are reasing some of their nicest products in the upcoming months.

Quote:
And yet they're getting bailed out by Uncle Sam...and God knows what's going to come of that. Ford isn't getting bailout money and they're pulling out all the stops to ADD amazing features to their new models. Have you seen the upcoming 2010 Fusion/Milan/MKZ family? Ford is an American company poised to make a comeback and that's something I can definitely support.
Last time I checked Ford was asking to be able to get some of that money. The only think that ford is counting on is big sales of their F150.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:50 PM   #71
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE
Thumbs Down Re: Would You Buy A Saturn - Now ?

Wow.

A Fusion over an Aura?

I don't have a lot to say other than agreeing what has been said by others.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:31 PM   #72
steadler
steadler is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Fusion ???

Well anyways, judging by enormus rebates they are giving on a 2008
Aura Xe these days it's can't be a bad deal for
a car like this (Aura).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled6.jpg (90.1 KB, 14 views)

2008 AURA XE 3.5
TECHO GRAY
mfg june '08

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to steadler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help steadler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
steadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:41 PM   #73
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Wow, this store still had new 2007s on the lot? No wonder the salesman was acting desperate! Sorry that happened to you. If you really had your heart set on a Saturn you would have gone elsewhere and bought one IMHO. We have Ppl driving long distances frequently, it's not uncommon. Bad salesman drove you completely away from the brand? Um...Er - nope can't swallow your story.

After re-reading your story you must have either a very short fuse and/or are badly mis-informed. I agree with the other posters here that your story doesn't make sense and you were already pro-biased for Ford.

Best of luck in your new Ford.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

Last edited by marx404; 12-28-2008 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: re-read story, unbelievable, possible Saturn basher.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:55 PM   #74
TN1
TN1 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

I would not buy a Saturn or any other GM product after having owned my '07 Aura XR for 2 years and 16,000 miles. It's a very handsome, well-equipped, smooth, quiet, and powerful car that feels very germanic, and that is all good. But my car has had numerous fit, finish, and mechanical problems. My dealer experiences have varied - the Saturn dealer near my home is terrible and has refused to fully honor the warranty (no rental car for overnight warranty repairs), while the next closest (about 30 miles) has bent over backward to keep me happy.

This dealer has cheerfully and professionally fixed the crooked dashboard, the factory-installed dent in the front fender, the misaligned body panels, the broken radio trim (cracked due to expansion-contraction apparently), the rattling sunroof, the water-filled side marker light, the clunking and grinding in the steering, and the non-functioning parking brake. However, they have been unable to determine the cause of the intermittent starting problem that occurs once every 2-3 weeks. I get in the car, and turn the key as usual. All the accessory power comes on, but the starter does not turn over or even click - the car simply will not start. It is not the position of the shifter or the brake as far as we can tell. It happens cold or hot, and waiting 20-30 minutes after the failed start attempt seems to resolve it each time. One service person suggested it was an issue with the alarm system, but they were not able to attribute the problem to that. So, I am obliged to live with a car that every once in a while will not start for a period of about 30 minutes.

The dealer is apologetic, but a two-year old car that won't reliably start every time is truly unacceptable. I would not recommend any GM product at this time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TN1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TN1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:51 AM   #75
thatjerryguy
thatjerryguy will become famous soon enoughthatjerryguy will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Down Re: Would You Buy A Saturn - Now ?

I was looking forward to replacing my L300 with an Epsilon II-based second gen Aura and remain a Saturn customer forever after, but since Saturn's future with GM is cloudy and uncertain at best (is GM planning on throwing Saturn under the bus so they can keep Pontiac?), I'd say no. Too bad, too, because GM is coming out with some nice direct-injected engines which would look real pretty under a Saturn hood. Another bad move by GM on top of a lot of other bad moves.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thatjerryguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thatjerryguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thatjerryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:46 PM   #76
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatjerryguy View Post
I was looking forward to replacing my L300 with an Epsilon II-based second gen Aura and remain a Saturn customer forever after, but since Saturn's future with GM is cloudy and uncertain at best (is GM planning on throwing Saturn under the bus so they can keep Pontiac?), I'd say no. Too bad, too, because GM is coming out with some nice direct-injected engines which would look real pretty under a Saturn hood. Another bad move by GM on top of a lot of other bad moves.

The 2010 Buick Lacrosse will probably have what you want

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:40 PM   #77
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

The next gen LaCrosse may be my next car...

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:56 PM   #78
XR524
XR524 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Hell yeah Id buy an Aura right now! The deals are getting better by the day! So wait... maybe Id wait another couple of months lol. More and more slightly used auras are appearing on lots. Ive yet to find someone whos gotten as good of a deal as i did.

Bought mine used 15,900 miles, 2007 XR, Fully loaded - all options, $16,900 out the door. Basically mint condition other than some tiny dings here and there on the interior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XR524's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XR524 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XR524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:35 PM   #79
steveluvs3
steveluvs3 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1997 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraDrvr89 View Post
The next gen LaCrosse may be my next car...
I think that's gonna be Aura's replacement when and if they get rid of saturn because that 2010 buick looks like a malibu with a buick front nose and I do know they will be making that 2010 buick in fairfax right along with the malibu and they did'nt even mention the Aura, also you can probably add a few thousand $ on the base price just because it's a buick.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to steveluvs3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help steveluvs3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
steveluvs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:23 AM   #80
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveluvs3 View Post
I think that's gonna be Aura's replacement when and if they get rid of saturn because that 2010 buick looks like a malibu with a buick front nose and I do know they will be making that 2010 buick in fairfax right along with the malibu and they did'nt even mention the Aura, also you can probably add a few thousand $ on the base price just because it's a buick.
It's a slightly revised chassis. A bit heavier and likely quieter. Fuel Economy will hold up despite the weight gain due to Direct Injection engine
It will have Navigation

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote