SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
dddaaa
dddaaa is on a distinguished road

Default '96 Sl2 Driver's power window does nothing

All other windows operate, only the driver's power window does nothing. I cleaned the switch at the console so do not think it is that. Does anyone know how to check the wire going to the driver's door to determine if the motor in the door is getting power?

Thanks for any advice!!

Last edited by dddaaa; 08-25-2011 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: yr of car is 1996

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dddaaa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dddaaa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dddaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
hoseppi
Advanced Member
hoseppi will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2008 Astra XE
Default Re: '96 Sl2 Driver's power window does nothing

Can you feel a click when operating the switch? Does it feel the same as the switches for the other windows?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoseppi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoseppi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
dddaaa

No click no noise from windows, switch feels same as other 4 switches for windows (think theres a click from the switch..why?

Thanks for helping!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dddaaa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-29-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
Hangtime
Hangtime is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

I just had this issue with my 98 SL2. I took the switch out, cleaned it, put some dielectric grease on the contacts, and then made sure the toggle lever was in the channel like its suppose to. Make sure you disconnect the battery too. I didn't really do "anything" that I think would have made a difference though mine works now! Good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hangtime's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hangtime reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hangtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
dddaaa

When I cleaned it I did not use the dielectric grease. My guess is it made the contacts stay in the right place..

Does anyone know if it is safe (will not burn out motor) to run wires from the + and - battery terminals to where the wires go in the motor in the drivers side door?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #6
Hangtime
Hangtime is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

It gets full 12volt power anyways so if you plan on doing it just to test the motor you should be fine. I don't recommend leaving it that way, and by passing the fuses and relay. I don't think you will have anyway to raise/lower the window without the switch though.

I would pull the plug off the motor and use a volt meter to see if the motor is getting power before I would rewire it. Should be getting close to 12v. Also check the resistance and current; you should be able to find some specs for what the motor should be receiving through the wiring harness.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hangtime's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hangtime reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hangtime is offline   Reply With Quote