SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2010, 12:37 AM   #161
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: What did you do to your S-Series today...

Finished the engine install. Did four primes without the plugs.. boy that sure sounded strange! Set the plugs and new wires and fired it up. Five minutes of mild clatter and it settled right down. Purr's like a kitten now. Monday it's off to get the flex pipe replaced. Next up after that the FP and it should be good to go for another 100K+.

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2010, 09:21 PM   #162
vtsl2
Advanced Member
vtsl2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1994 SL2

I entered my 99 sl2m in a car show at a local GM dealer on friday night. The car show was to benefit a local charity.

There was no entry fee. The way they made money was 5 cent soda and 10 cent hot dogs that were donated by local business's and donations by the people that attended the show, along with 50/50 raffle and prize raffles.

The dealership was able give the charity around $2000.00

And i got alot of nice comments on how nice my car looked. I was stoked.

SATURNS ROCK: THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY
99 sc2m mine
94 sl2m my sons
10 ford Taurus with paddle shift(cool)
99 sw2a converted to manuel
02 chevy Silverado extened cab stepside
99 sl2m retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vtsl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vtsl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vtsl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:41 PM   #163
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Let's see.. over the last few days I:

1) topped off the oil for a long road trip
2) in preparation of said road trip, I loaded it and the family up
and 3) took my dad to work in it today.

sometime next week I'll be changing the oil/filter and the transaxle fluid/filter.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:59 PM   #164
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

I washed my nice, shiny SL1 today... Looks nice afte the wax job last week!!!

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:37 PM   #165
sousa632
sousa632 is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2

Put MMO in the crank yesterday. Friday night I'm going to do a MMO soak cause it's burning about 1qt every 750 miles.... Once that's done I'm going to make a 'catch can' for the pcv system in hopes to catch some of the blow-by before it can be burned off. Gotta make this car last as long as possible. It does run and drive nice(other than needing tires soon)

John
96 Tbird 4.6L, 95 Saturn SW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sousa632's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sousa632 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sousa632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #166
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

I used Valvoline for these...

Changed Oil (10w-30, AC Delco Filter)
Changed Transaxle fluid (Synthetic Dexron-III fluid, Filter King Filter [ side note why must advanced auto not keep the good stuff in stock, this case the AC Delco filter])

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:21 PM   #167
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2

Finished the engine install in the 00 SL2. The drain plug was leaking on the new oil pan put on. For some unknown reason, there was just a metal washer for the seal and I tightened as much as I could with risking stripping the threads and it still leaked. I tried to swap plugs without losing too much oil but the threads were different than the other plugs I had. I ended up draining all the oil and went and got a seal for the new plug. The oil had less than 30 minutes run time and was still clean so I just dumped it right back in. The car seems to run real well with the new engine. It will probably be my daily driver for a while until I can find a 3rd gen coupe.

Current Fleet:
97 Black Gold SC2 Manual
97 Silver SC2 Auto
98 White SL2 Auto
00 Silver SL2 Auto
03 Pontiac Montana
00 Yamaha SUV1200 Waverunner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackeagle1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackeagle1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:10 PM   #168
DG3
DG3 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Installed my old Audivox XM radio receiver into the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DG3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DG3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:13 PM   #169
mr18436572
mr18436572 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

What I do every single weekend - gave it a nice thorough wash
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Photo0017 (Medium).jpeg (101.2 KB, 22 views)

2000 SL2 auto - 167k - sold
1996 SL2 auto - 161k - sold
1997 SC2 auto - 105k - sold
2000 SC2 auto - 117k - sold
1996 SL2 auto - 250k - sold
2001 SC2 5sp - 160k - sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr18436572's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr18436572 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mr18436572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:24 PM   #170
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Changed the Air Filter after 23,000 miles on it.

**REMEMBER** If you have an AAA Card, you get a big discount at NAPA!!

My NAPA Gold was $16, got it for $12....

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:09 PM   #171
sousa632
sousa632 is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2

Did the MMO soak. Was really interesting because I was thinking it was going to smoke a pretty good amount. But, it only smoked a little bit just to burn off the little bit of residue on the pistons when I first started it. Smoked lightly for maybe 30 seconds then that was it. The smoke smelled horribly though.

One noticable difference....... the exhaust doesnt smell like burning oil anymore like it used to, so that's a HUGE plus. We'll see how oil consumptioon goes but I'm going to add a catch can to hopefully stop even more of the oil consumption.

John
96 Tbird 4.6L, 95 Saturn SW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sousa632's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sousa632 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sousa632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:58 PM   #172
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

New fuel pump today. Of course, one strap bolt just refused to cooperate! Eventually it relented to consistent persuasion (impact, die and a bunch of sweat). OMG! What a difference. I really regret putting up with the priming routine for the last few years! Now it's just turn the key and it fires right up!

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-04-2010, 11:17 PM   #173
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by off-track View Post
I really regret putting up with the priming routine for the last few years! Now it's just turn the key and it fires right up!
Congrats! How long did this take you altogether, and would you recommend doing this without air tools? I have a '97 now, didn't notice if it needed the priming because i was starting it for the first time ever.

Today: on the '98 SL2, installed new Moog sway bar links to replace the busted OEM ones. While I was under there, noticed where the fuel filter was, and decided to install the Wix filter that's been sitting on the floor waiting for me to get around to it. I'll drive it tomorrow and see if the P0172 goes away.

On the '97 SC2, pulled one of the ignition modules as teh PO said it was arcing (the reason they parked it for 3 years). Didn't see any damage, so I reinstalled it. I did notice the boots of several of the wires were damaged, and one had the core exposed and a good several inches of the core were missing!

Replaced the wires, new oil, new oil filter, new battery. Pulled the PCM-B to prime the oil, replaced, and it started and ran. a little rough, to be expected with 3 yr old gas and a frowny style motor mount

pulled it up closer to the house, vacuumed out the driver side and wiped down a crap load of dust. Car is filthy inside; dust, pebbles, and dog hair. Also got rid of the wasp (or are they yellowjackets?) nests in the trunk (could not open with the key; and had no power til today to pop it open) and washed out the back part of the car.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:03 AM   #174
off-track
Master Member

1997 SL2

ALOC,

It took about two 1/2 hours. Would have been a lot less if it weren't for that firgg'n strap bolt. I think it was ShawnV that posted an excellent write up on the FP replacement but every time I search for it I come up blank?

Air tools aren't really needed but the impact did finally did shake things up enough to get it in (I REALLY need a bigger compressor!) followed-up with a cheater. Like most things, it really shouldn't have been that hard.?.

Just tonight the wife comes in and says "something stinks in the garage". I go to check it out. There's a load of water under the passenger side from the AC (98+% humidity) and a spot on the drivers side as well that's going drip, drip, drip. Hmm, what's that? Aw crap, it's gas! It was leaking on the top side (factory connection) of the filter. It was new but apparently the old pump not holding pressure didn't reveal the defect? So, that's also my "what did you do today".

Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-06-2010, 12:51 AM   #175
DG3

1998 SL2

Switched out the bulb in the trunk dome light, but it still didn't work.

Also bought a ECTS from AutoZone and will install it soon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DG3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DG3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-06-2010, 09:34 AM   #176
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

Drove it to work for the first time in weeks.
It's been sitting for a clutch job which also turned into a transmission replacement (bad quill)

Seems to work good now after said repairs Just need a front end alignment.

1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:42 PM   #177
beermonkey
beermonkey is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

well i got it towed to the shop today because for the past few dayts it been running like ****, AND THERES NO F)!@#$%^&ING CODE! it turns over, but doesnt start and still no code., sooo itll be there till my bank account is empty, or i get another car, or both...

1994 SL1 - R.I.P.
1997 SL2 - sold :)
1978 El Camino - still fixing...
1999 I30t - daily driver
2007 Cag Daytona - fixing
"Gimmie a Pickle jar, I'll open that B***h up like a MotherF**ker!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beermonkey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beermonkey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:23 AM   #178
DG3

1998 SL2

Changed the motor mount. As others have alluded to, it did stop much of the vibration. Amazing for $34 and a half hour of my time.

I did see a slight shift of the engine block when I put the new mount over the holes. Gotta be my cheap trolley jack and minuscule piece of wood just didn't keep everything nice and stable and shifted on me.

That's the only problem with DIY. I don't have, nor can I afford, the best tools for every project. I'm glad I was able to do a few things myself, but I don't want my inexperience or sub-par tools to compromise a repair.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DG3's Reputation
Old 07-08-2010, 08:04 AM   #179
mattelderca
mattelderca will become famous soon enough

1998 SC1
1996 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG3 View Post
Changed the motor mount. As others have alluded to, it did stop much of the vibration. Amazing for $34 and a half hour of my time.

I did see a slight shift of the engine block when I put the new mount over the holes. Gotta be my cheap trolley jack and minuscule piece of wood just didn't keep everything nice and stable and shifted on me.

That's the only problem with DIY. I don't have, nor can I afford, the best tools for every project. I'm glad I was able to do a few things myself, but I don't want my inexperience or sub-par tools to compromise a repair.
Did you reset the lower dog bone after you installed the new mount? It must be done or you will continue to have vibes. Watch the richpin video on you tube.

2000 SL1 freebie, my sons DD
1998 SC1 still running, FOR SALE cheap!
1996 SL, GONE but not forgotten
2005 Generic Silver Minivan (Kia Sedona)
2009 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattelderca's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattelderca reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattelderca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #180
DG3

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattelderca View Post
Did you reset the lower dog bone after you installed the new mount? It must be done or you will continue to have vibes. Watch the richpin video on you tube.
You mean the loosening and tightening of that pulley bracket? I did that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DG3's Reputation