SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2010, 06:52 PM   #141
KingRex
Advanced Member
KingRex will become famous soon enoughKingRex will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2
Default Re: What did you do to your S-Series today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Same one that broke off on me.

I used a propane torch to heat up the bracket. I used a monkey/pipe wrench (8 or 10" wrench with teeth) for leverage and twisted it so that the pin would rotate, then rotated it at sort of at angle, so that it would slide a little out with each rotation.

Yesterday, I added some shiney things to my car. New $20 stainless steel muffler (thanks to tgferg67global for pointing out the rebate)

Geartooth wheels, $48 total found on craigslist. Doesn't look too bad on my 98, thought they would look better on an 1st gen coupe. Need to be refinished (one of these days ). Need new tires now.

Also, weird that my door skin doesn't match the rest of the car. I thought there was only one color silver for the 2nd gen, guess I was wrong. Got the fender and door skin at the same yard, didn;t look that closely when I bought them - fender is a little darker than the rest of the car, door skin is alot lighter.
Nope, the 1996 ones did get the same color as the 1995 Light Plum, it looks silver, but in the right light it looks like it has a purple hue

"The Homecoming King"

Saturns Saved: 18

Saturns Owned: 2

1999 SL2 HCE 175K
1994 SL2 HCE 135K
1999 SL2 Silver 125K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KingRex's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KingRex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KingRex is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2010, 10:09 PM   #142
Mgg4591
Mgg4591 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

I took my SL2 to Dorney Park with a couple of friends. It's a 100 mile drive from me and about half way there the tranny started slipping bad and the SES light started flashing. The light was still on, on the way back and with some moderate slippage and A/C on with 3 people in the car, and still got 37mpg. Gotta love it, thats a world first for my car. 93.7 miles driven and it took 2.533 gallons- 36.9 mpg.

2002 Mitsubishi Galant 2.4, 94,500 miles
2007 Toyota Camry 2.4, 29,600 miles
1999 Saturn SL2 1.9, 93,700 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mgg4591's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mgg4591 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mgg4591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:15 PM   #143
Classic97Saturn
Classic97Saturn is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1
Default Got 4 new tires!

Got 4 new firestone tires! Seems like all the tire dealers around here have a limited selection of p175/70r14 tires. Where the Saturn S series the only car to use these?

97 Saturn SL1 127,000 miles

Born in September 96
Bought it November 96
It was my wife's car until she needed something bigger ( mom mobile Jeep Liberty)
Now it is my back and forth to work car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Classic97Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Classic97Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Classic97Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:45 AM   #144
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRex View Post
Nope, the 1996 ones did get the same color as the 1995 Light Plum, it looks silver, but in the right light it looks like it has a purple hue
I haven't had it in the right light, then I can't see any purple in it at all. Just looks like a light silver.

That includes normal incandescent (garage), daylight, and sodium vapor parking lot lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic97Saturn
Seems like all the tire dealers around here have a limited selection of p175/70r14 tires. Where the Saturn S series the only car to use these?
The trend these days is towards larger and wider tires. That used to be a common size in the 80s, maybe early 90s, when there were more smaller economy cars.

I could be wrong as it's been quite a few years, but i think my 82 Plymouth Horizon and my 85 Plymouth Turismo used that size (they were the same car mechanically, except for the trans)

You could always move up to a 15" wheel which might give you a few more choices. I ended up at 185/65 but was originally looking at 205/60, to replace the 195/60 that were on the wheels.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:08 AM   #145
vtsl2
Advanced Member
vtsl2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1994 SL2

Washed and detialed my car yesterday for the first time in three weeks, normaly i do it every week, but we have had rain almost every day for the past three weeks. AH now she looks purdy agian.

Also did under the hood, sprayed it down and then used foaming tire shine, and let me tell you what MR. DUALLY it looks sweet. Just like coming off the showroom floor. I hope these pics post, I just took them 5 minutes ago
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0619100657.jpg (65.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 0619100658.jpg (56.7 KB, 34 views)

SATURNS ROCK: THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY
99 sc2m mine
94 sl2m my sons
10 ford Taurus with paddle shift(cool)
99 sw2a converted to manuel
02 chevy Silverado extened cab stepside
99 sl2m retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vtsl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vtsl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vtsl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:03 PM   #146
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Wrench Re: What did you do to your S-Series today...

removed the H&R Sport springs, put OE springs on. removed Kenwood KFC-1660S speakers from doors and rear deck and put OE speakers in. my Saturn rides nice and smooth now but I have to turn the radio up louder to hear it over the exhaust burble.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:05 PM   #147
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

took it to my friend's house then to hooter's shortly after

good stuff btw

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:12 PM   #148
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2

I replaced the catalytic converter and flex pipe assembly on the 97 SC2. The flex pipe had frayed and was leaking. Fortuneatly, I had saved the parts from a previous part out so it only cost me a few nuts and bolts and gaskets. The exhaust flange gaskets that they sell at Autozone and O'Reilly's do not work. The hole in the center is too big. I was able to cross reference to a different application that did work.

Spent a little time getting ready to pull the engine from the 00 SL2. I broke an impact socket trying to get the crank pulley off with an 18" breaker bar.. The engine is seized but does turn about 1/2 turn in either direction before it locks up. I don't know why the crank pulley is being so difficult. I wanted to tear it down to find out what happened. I guess I am going to have to find a stronger socket than the HF impact set I am using.

Current Fleet:
97 Black Gold SC2 Manual
97 Silver SC2 Auto
98 White SL2 Auto
00 Silver SL2 Auto
03 Pontiac Montana
00 Yamaha SUV1200 Waverunner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackeagle1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackeagle1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:14 PM   #149
macbox
macbox will become famous soon enough

1995 SC2
1997 SC2

Saturday morning I was going to the junkyard to get a front bumper for my 95 SC2, just as I'm about to pull onto the freeway, my exhaust pipe falls apart just before it goes over the rear suspension. This is something I was intending to get to, but I had prioritized the junkyard trip, instead, I spent a few hours that morning getting a new rear exhaust pipe put on. I did finally get to the JY, and got the front bumper.

Sunday night I changed the oil, took off some goo on the inside of the windshield that was left after a state park sticker was peeled off, and cleaned the K&N air filter, dried it overnight, re-oiled and reinstalled it this morning.

Monday, on my way home, my radiator end tank decides to leak, I'm waiting for the all-aluminum unit from AMR, but they haven't started shipping yet. I was hoping to get the AMR unit before the factory unit leaked, but no such luck. Still not sure what I am going to do about this, I don't want to replace the radiator just to wait for the AMR unit, and I don't have real confidence in some of the adhesive "fixes" people are doing.

I guess I'm just busy nowadays.

#4, 1995 SC2m, 163K, 400 Miles per quart. Garage queen. Currently in 1000 pieces for a rebuild.
#5, 1998 SW2m, rebuilt at 126K, Totaled at 205K miles.
#7 1995 SC2, 121K, daily driver.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to macbox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help macbox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
macbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:57 PM   #150
eRic 02sc2

... traded it in for a 2011 Ford Fiesta.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00103.jpg (108.0 KB, 32 views)

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-22-2010, 01:23 PM   #151
hi-tower
hi-tower is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2
1998 SW1

Going to pick up my newly powder coated subframe/cradle so it can get installed in the next couple of weeks.

1998 SW1 (wife's car)
1998 SW2 (Winter daily driver)
2004 Vibe GT (summer daily driver)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hi-tower's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hi-tower reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hi-tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:37 PM   #152
Nels
Nels is on a distinguished road

1996 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2 View Post
Oh, so that was you on the Fiesta forum. I also ordered a Fiesta. ETA July 12th. I didn't trade the Satty though. My wife cannot drive a stick, and she travels a bit for her job, so the Fiesta powershift seemed like a good fit for her for fuel economy.

Back on topic, I rotated the tires on the SL this morning. The rears were scalloped and whining a bit on the interstate. Judging by the looks of them, this will be the last rotation on those tires. Baby needs new shoes!

--------
Nels
Manitowoc WI
1996 SL, 5 Speed manual ╠╬╝

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nels's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nels reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:55 PM   #153
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

So I take it Fiestas are stick only?

having said that, I took it out for a spin to take my dad to work, and filled the tank as well.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:49 PM   #154
Nels
Nels is on a distinguished road

1996 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
So I take it Fiestas are stick only?
If that were true, we would not be buying one. My wife does not drive a stick. You get either a 5-speed manual or a 6-speed "Powershift" dual dry clutch automatically shifted gearbox. They're claiming better mpg with the auto than the manual. No torque converter slippage, and no hydraulic pump to add weight and drain power.

--------
Nels
Manitowoc WI
1996 SL, 5 Speed manual ╠╬╝

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nels's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nels reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:22 PM   #155
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2

The shifter cable bushing broke on the way home from work in the 97 SC2. It was stuck in 3rd gear but I was able to limp it home about 2 miles. I sure hope I didn't burn up the clutch. I only had to take off from a stop about 5-6 times. I've got it tied together with zip ties which should hold until I can get a new bushing ordered.

Also, tried to figure out the source of a clunk on the passenger side. I checked the engine mounts and they are fine. I found excessive play in lower control arm bushing where it attaches to the cradle. I just replaced the lower control arm about 4 months ago. I took out the cradle attachment bolt and it was eaten away with corrosion. The diameter was much smaller than it should have been. I found a similar bolt that was a little longer and put that in. It should get me by until I can get the right part.

It seems like something new every day. I haven't had the time to finish the engine swap in the 00 SL2 because of all the problems with the other cars.

Current Fleet:
97 Black Gold SC2 Manual
97 Silver SC2 Auto
98 White SL2 Auto
00 Silver SL2 Auto
03 Pontiac Montana
00 Yamaha SUV1200 Waverunner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackeagle1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackeagle1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:43 PM   #156
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
today I de-stickered my Saturn and cleaned the windscreen, sunroof, mirrors, backlite, and windows with Stoner invisible glass.
^This has an ominous tone to it

Quote:
removed the AEM SRS and re-installed the factory air box w/K&N 33-2055
also removed the ram-dirt duct and re-installed the factory fog lamp.
^You're making me nervous

Quote:
removed the Redline Tuning QuickLIFT, reinstalled the hood prop rod and removed the SPS adjustable strut tower brace today
^Say it ain't so

Quote:
removed the H&R Sport springs, put OE springs on. removed Kenwood KFC-1660S speakers from doors and rear deck and put OE speakers in. my Saturn rides nice and smooth now but I have to turn the radio up louder to hear it over the exhaust burble.
^Can't beat that O.E.M. speaker sound

Quote:
^I think I'm going to be ill
Well it got pretty lonely over at the '86 Isuzu Trooper Turbo Diesel Forum too...I think I'm the last member over there

Last edited by bumpdraft; 06-22-2010 at 10:49 PM.. Reason: screen name: bumpdraftee

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:08 PM   #157
mr18436572
mr18436572 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

I will be touching up a few imperfections on it tomorrow, with paint that I bought from this site

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/

Kinda pricey for a very small container. Anyone have experience with it? I am hoping it will match the paint better than the Duplicolor stuff you get at the parts stores. I used Duplicolor on my Toyota and it does not match up very well.

2000 SL2 auto - 167k - sold
1996 SL2 auto - 161k - sold
1997 SC2 auto - 105k - sold
2000 SC2 auto - 117k - sold
1996 SL2 auto - 250k - sold
2001 SC2 5sp - 160k - sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr18436572's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr18436572 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mr18436572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:02 AM   #158
eRic 02sc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nels View Post
Oh, so that was you on the Fiesta forum. I also ordered a Fiesta. ETA July 12th. I didn't trade the Satty though. My wife cannot drive a stick, and she travels a bit for her job, so the Fiesta powershift seemed like a good fit for her for fuel economy.
yup. I got "the first" Fiesta. and it's been modified already
I removed the "SES" badge.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-23-2010, 12:09 AM   #159
eRic 02sc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
^This has an ominous tone to it

^You're making me nervous

^Say it ain't so

^Can't beat that O.E.M. speaker sound

^I think I'm going to be ill
Well it got pretty lonely over at the '86 Isuzu Trooper Turbo Diesel Forum too...I think I'm the last member over there
so... the parts I removed are for sale now!
AEM SRS fits 2000-02 dohc
H&R Sport springs
KONI enhanced Saturn struts
MB Weapon wheels 15x7 4-100 +35 offset
205/50-15 Bridgestone RE-11 tires

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-24-2010, 09:22 PM   #160
92SL25SPD
92SL25SPD is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2

Broke it.

1992 SL2 5- Spd
1973 Ford Courier 1.8 4- Spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 92SL25SPD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 92SL25SPD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
92SL25SPD is offline   Reply With Quote