Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 03-22-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
SaturnIONSLVUE
Advanced Member
SaturnIONSLVUE is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Intermittent Starting Problem.

My 2006 V6 VUE sometimes starts after many cranks sometimes you have to turn the key twice. Other times it just starts normal. It does not matter if the engine is warm or cold. Saturn said they could not find the problem.
SaturnIONSLVUE is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2009, 08:40 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Intermittent Starting Problem.

Get in the habit of turning ignition to ON and pausing to: (1) note instrument panel indicators illuminate, and (2) listen for fuel pump to run. If these two clues are available turn the key to START and note results.

At odd times I noted my 05 Vue starter would spin the engine normally but I'd also note the IPC was not lighted and the fuel pump would not run.

I narrowed the problem to an wildly intermittent ignition switch. The working guts are in a small plastic assembly held to back of the key assembly by two or three small screws.

I ordered a replacement from Rockauto ... installed in less than 30 minutes and the engine has started on-demand for the last 10 months.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
SaturnIONSLVUE
Advanced Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2006 VUE 3.5L

The Starting problem is more like "It cranks many times like 6 and rumbles when it starts.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Mileage? Any maintenance done? Due? Aftermarket mods?
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnIONSLVUE View Post
The Starting problem is more like "It cranks many times like 6 and rumbles when it starts.
Hmmm ... I got to be honest with you ... I don't think I understand this post.

Doesn't matter ... fdryer asked great questions ... we await your response.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:24 PM   #6
SaturnIONSLVUE
Advanced Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2006 VUE 3.5L

No aftermarket work done, all that was done with the car was struts & mounts some other TSB work and replaced torque convertor and serpentine belt all done under warranty.
Change Oil Every 6,000 miles with Mobil 1 5w20
30,000 miles on car now.

The only thing I could think of, it could be the fuel filter since I never changed that.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:23 AM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnIONSLVUE View Post
My 2006 V6 VUE sometimes starts after many cranks sometimes you have to turn the key twice. Other times it just starts normal. It does not matter if the engine is warm or cold. Saturn said they could not find the problem.
At 30,000 miles, fuel filtering wouldn't be an issue unless a massive amount of questionable fuel was pumped into your tank. A pressure test may reveal whether or not junk clogged the filter and reduced pressure drastically. Borrowing a pressure gauge from Autozone may help.

I find the above difficult to believe unless Saturn (with their expensive toys) didn't/couldn't duplicate the same issue you see while monitoring. Does this make it a random problem (I'm stalling for as much infomation as I can ask you before giving up )? Is this Vue the 3.6L Honda engine? Modified air filter system?

Perhaps I give Saturn a little bit more credit than they deserve. Troubleshooting still requires isolating a fuel issue from ignition/spark issues. Presuming the fuel system runs and stops when the ignition is in the ON position, any idea of what the fuel pressure is other than the usual method of verifying pressure by depressing the fuel test valve and expecting a spray of fuel? Verify this as this is testing the fuel pump, pressure developed, and if pressure remains after turning the ignition ON. A lot goes on during this phase. Next may be more difficult, testing for spark.

Testing for spark can be difficult (if random) with concealed plugs and ignition coil packs sans plug wires. I'm familiar with 3.0L engines and not the 3.6L (which one?) where parts may be in different places. The trick is figuring out how to test for spark the easiest way possible as this can determine whether or not the ignition system is causing random problems.
VCX NANO
Old 03-29-2009, 01:21 AM   #8
SaturnIONSLVUE
Advanced Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2006 VUE 3.5L

Vue is the 3.6L Honda (air filter just replaced I always use GM parts)
Old 03-29-2009, 02:08 AM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Although this may be premature, perhaps a spark plug inspection may be necessary and/or replacement. This will provide an opportunity to make a visual check for anything abnormal by removing the plugs and noticing if there's a reason for early replacement. This won't be cheap if the plugs are buried like the 3.0L, requiring various intake manifold parts removal before the plugs are accessible.
VCX NANO
Old 03-29-2009, 08:33 AM   #10
SaturnIONSLVUE
Advanced Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2006 VUE 3.5L

Thanks, I will do that when it gets warmer out. .
Old 03-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #11
YourMainParadox
Advanced Member
YourMainParadox is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
Get in the habit of turning ignition to ON and pausing to: (1) note instrument panel indicators illuminate, and (2) listen for fuel pump to run. If these two clues are available turn the key to START and note results.

At odd times I noted my 05 Vue starter would spin the engine normally but I'd also note the IPC was not lighted and the fuel pump would not run.

I narrowed the problem to an wildly intermittent ignition switch. The working guts are in a small plastic assembly held to back of the key assembly by two or three small screws.

I ordered a replacement from Rockauto ... installed in less than 30 minutes and the engine has started on-demand for the last 10 months.
Did you have to rekey it or is that not an entire thing? heh my key is sometimes hard to get the steering wheel unlocked with and I was told I might have to get a new ignition switch by the dealer because of it.
YourMainParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:47 PM   #12
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

I guess there are three parts to the ignition lock setup. I changed the easy part but the key lock part didn't appear too difficult. The Passlock sensor on my Vue was held to the ignition switch with two black cable ties. I doubt if this is OEM but does the job. I extracted the following from FSM:

Ignition Switch

The lock cylinder and the visible key insert portion of the ignition switch are located at the upper right side of the steering column. The electrical switching portion of the assembly is separate from the key and lock cylinder.

The electrical switch portion is hidden inside the steering column. The electrical switch portion and the key and lock cylinder synchronize and work in conjunction through the action of the mechanical assembly between the 2 parts.

Passlockô Sensor

The Passlockô sensor is inside the ignition cylinder lock housing. The Passlockô sensor contains 2 hall effect sensors. The tamper hall effect sensor is on the top. The security hall effect sensor is under the tamper hall effect sensor. Both of the hall effect sensors monitor the magnet of the lock cylinder through an opening.

The tamper hall effect sensor is physically placed on top of the security hall effect sensor. This arrangement enables the tamper hall effect sensor to engage first if an intruder attempts to bypass the Passlockô sensor by placing a large magnet around that area of the steering column.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:51 PM   #13
SaturnIONSLVUE
Advanced Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2006 VUE 3.5L

On my vue saturn replaced the cylinder lock because the key would get stuck or the steering wheel would stay locked. That was done last june and there is a tsb for that.
I think the starting problem happened after that.