saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 11-21-2015, 08:06 PM   #1
Commeatus
Commeatus is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2
1997 SW2
Default Excessive fuel consumption when cold

I have a 97 sw2 with not quite 200k on the odometer. When I start it with the engine cold, it uses quite a lot of fuel getting warm. In mixed driving where the engine warms up and stays warm I get about 27mpg, but add in 2 or 3 cold starts and it drops into the high teens.
Is this normal?
Commeatus is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2015, 08:34 PM   #2
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2
Default Re: Excessive fuel consumption when cold

Yes, completely normal for any car engine to use a good share more fuel when it's cold.

Carry on.
Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:51 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Was the original coolant sensor replaced with the flat nosed brass one? The faulty original ones runs the engine rich all the time with higher than normal idle, around 1k rpm when normal idle is between 800-900 rpm. A tell tale is the temperature gauge needle never going above the 1/4 mark and less than adequate heat in winter weather. In addition, the original thermostat may have worn out its sealing ring and contributing to cold engine running with more fuel use. The combination of both never being replaced is a major problem with almost every S-series engine. Normal temperature gauge position is between 3/8 and 1/2. The picture below is an actual damaged seal from a recent post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t-stat 1.jpg (119.3 KB, 5 views)
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:55 PM   #4
laser3kw
laser3kw will become famous soon enough

2000 SC1

My 2000 SC1 drops 15 to 20 percent during winter. That comes from 15 minute warm-ups and much longer time till it's up to full temperature. If you do a lot of 10 minute hops, you are never getting up to full temp.
laser3kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:31 PM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Cold temps and short drives kill MPG in these, moreso with SOHC's than DOHCs (less fuel burned = less heat). Idling is 0mpg no matter the temp, but it's also a poor way of warming up the engine/car. Let it idle a minute or two to get the oil warmed a bit and circulating if it's sub 0 and then go easy on it until it's up to temp.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:27 PM   #6
Commeatus
Commeatus is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2
1997 SW2

Thanks for the reassurance, all of your replies are really good to hear! I've done the ects but not the thermostat on account of two stripped bolt heads. I get good heat after just a few minutes with the temp gage at 1/8. It won't rise above 1/4 unless I'm in traffic, though.
Commeatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:58 PM   #7
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

^^^ Even just idling you should be above 1/4, more like 7/16ths.
Granted, it gets down to +5 to +10F rarely in this part of Virginia, but even so, my mileage never got below 30mpg. Methinks you still have an ECTS issue.
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:51 AM   #8
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commeatus View Post
Thanks for the reassurance, all of your replies are really good to hear! I've done the ects but not the thermostat on account of two stripped bolt heads. I get good heat after just a few minutes with the temp gage at 1/8. It won't rise above 1/4 unless I'm in traffic, though.
Depending on what your local temps are, warm ups can be delayed some even with the proper thermostat and ECTS. But if you use the recirculate function with your heat, the car will come up to temp quicker and possibly improve your MPG some.

I live were it doesn't get very cold, but my car has never come even close to the teens in MPG even in the coldest months with short trips involved.
Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:42 AM   #9
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Quote:
My ultra-well tuned 2000 SL2 tanks down to 24 MPG in the Winter, so some is normal, but you thankfully gave us new information, so:

In a normal 15+ minute drive, does it get to at least 7/16ths? If not, you should try to get that thermostat replaced. It should run 7/16ths (exactly halfway between 1/4 & 1/2, or slightly more towards 1/2...).

Just curious, how's the coolant & how old?
Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:55 AM   #10
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

add in winter blend fuel, short trips high teens to low 20's is totally normal especially if you just run short errands with it
2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:10 AM   #11
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Quote:
Sounds like your Thermostat is worn out and causing the engine to run cold and rich. I assume you tried using a 12 point socket on those 10 mm bolts and rounded them?
2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:09 PM   #12
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Your t-stat is causing more fuel consumption. Stripped bolt heads can be removed with special tools like bolt extractors, possibly on loan by Autozone or other auto parts store. Google for images so you'll see them. Most mangled bolts that won't fit into sockets are removed with extractors built for these situations.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote