SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2006, 04:23 AM   #1
tsc
tsc is on a distinguished road

Default need to run cable from trunk to battery

wheres the best place to drill into the trunk so i can mount a couple of radios and run them up to the batery underneath

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tsc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tsc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tsc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2006, 09:06 AM   #2
BLUEION2
Advanced Member
BLUEION2 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: need to run cable from trunk to battery

why are u wanting to drill into the trunk and come up from underneath instead of running wires under the carpet in the trunk to get to the battery?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BLUEION2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BLUEION2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BLUEION2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 04:49 PM   #3
tsc

i guess in not sure what you mean? i can lift the carpet but how do i run all the cables to the front? they arent skinny cables

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tsc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tsc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-26-2006, 05:13 PM   #4
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Skinny or not you should be able to run them from the trunk to the front under the carpet and trim panels. I have 4ga. wire running the length of my K-car hidden under the rocker trim panels. No need to drill anything in yours either, trust me.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 08:22 PM   #5
BLUEION2
Advanced Member

2003 ION-2 Sedan

what yr is ur car???

I'm not sure about '05 and '06 but if you have an 03-04 ion then you don't have to do any drilling, the battery is in the trunk.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BLUEION2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-26-2006, 09:18 PM   #6
tsc

i have a 2006 ion 3

and this is like the set of radios i want to install

http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorola-Spectra...temZ7593174911

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tsc's Reputation
Old 02-26-2006, 09:23 PM   #7
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

I was wondering why you said Radio(s) Now I get it. But like I said, running the wires behind the dash, under the carpeting, and paneling is the way to go.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:38 AM   #8
NCCycle
NCCycle is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEION2
what yr is ur car???

I'm not sure about '05 and '06 but if you have an 03-04 ion then you don't have to do any drilling, the battery is in the trunk.
I have an 06 Ion and my battery is located in the trunk. This is probably the case with all Ions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NCCycle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NCCycle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NCCycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 05:09 AM   #9
defy69
Advanced Member
defy69 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan

i have an 03 ion 1 and when it comes to paneling if its made of plastic it pops off with a simple tug. as for the rug it doesnt seem to be bolted dowm much

http://www.ionforums.net/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=27
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2190499

"you never really learn to swear until you start driving"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to defy69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help defy69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
defy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:21 AM   #10
BLUEION2
Advanced Member

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCycle
I have an 06 Ion and my battery is located in the trunk. This is probably the case with all Ions.
I didn't understand what he was wanting to do at first, b/c his title says need to run cable from trunk to battery. He must've meant dash to battery.

I've taken the entire enterior of mine apart, from the dash down to the carpet. Its not hard at all if you have patience. Take ur time and take notice of how something comes off so you can put it back on. The easiest way to run wire is gonna be to pop the threshold panels off and move them out of the way, the pull the carpet back as much as you need to.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-27-2006, 08:41 AM   #11
wiseguy3501
wiseguy3501 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

This is a rough guide, not bit by bit, but it should help!

Best way that I have found is going down the center of the interior. I used to do that with RCA cables(amplifier wiring) all the time. But being you don't need to run that type of wire too just aim down the center. First remove the back seat and storage tray, they may just pop out by a clip or two on the front edge, otherwise bolts on the front edge. Please confirm if anyone knows. Then remove the drivers, or passengers seat, four bolts and maybe a wire clip. Then if you look closely at the center floor console you should be able to find bolts/screws holding it down, normally in the storage spaces possible under padding. If you are able to get this somewhat apart you are ready to start wiring.

Go through the spare tire well to the center of the rear seats. Feed the wire through to the interior, where the rear seat bottom would have been. At this point you need to run the wire under the carpet where the center hump is. This can be very difficult and may require more things removed and/or four sets of fingers. Once you are through the carpet you are on the home stretch. Feed through the center console area and you are there.

Hopefully this helps. If anyone knows specifics please confirm. I haven't pulled mine apart and don't know if I intend to so I am unsure about a few things. But it should be enough to do what is needed. Good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wiseguy3501's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wiseguy3501 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wiseguy3501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 09:05 AM   #12
mr weather
mr weather is on a distinguished road

Ah another Batwing freak!! Good for you! While I don't run Moto radios in my ION I have bunch of handhelds I use for ham radio (Sabers and GP68's).

The battery is in the trunk. If you can get Spectra drawers with remote heads that'll make your life a lot easier. There simply is no room up front for a full-sized radio.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr weather's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr weather reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mr weather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 03:03 PM   #13
kg6mvb
kg6mvb has a spectacular aura aboutkg6mvb has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2002 SL2

I ran up the passenger side. The trim pieces pull up real easy. Of course make sure you fuse it, (both pos and neg).

Tom

Proud to be a member of both the Ham Radio and Saturn Cults.

Avitar is a Saturn V rocket engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kg6mvb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kg6mvb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kg6mvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:07 AM   #14
kg6mvb
kg6mvb has a spectacular aura aboutkg6mvb has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2002 SL2

Now that I have taken a closer look at what you want to run, my suggestion is to put the radio in the trunk, and just run the head to the front. That's how I have my ham rig installed. It keeps the power lines shorter, and more importantly the antenna coax is shorter, so losses are less.

I have pics in my gallery and on my web page

http://www.qsl.net/kg6mvb/car.html

73 de KG6MVB
Tom

Proud to be a member of both the Ham Radio and Saturn Cults.

Avitar is a Saturn V rocket engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kg6mvb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kg6mvb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kg6mvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:14 AM   #15
mr weather
mr weather is on a distinguished road

Same here. I really should take some pictures now that everything's how I want it.

FT-8900 body mounted under the rear deck. FT-8900 head mounted on the console in front of the cupholders. Speaker in the cubby under the steering wheel (thanks Tom!). Drilled NMO mount on the trunklid, drilled NMO mount on the roof.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr weather's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr weather reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mr weather is offline   Reply With Quote