SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2019, 09:34 AM   #1
rfisher
rfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the rough

Default the old rear main bearing seal trick

hi sages- in my years on the forum never saw anything about the rear main bearing seal in the engine. my L100 at 185k is not leaking oil anywhere . the area around the rear main is dry. has anybody here dealt with a leak from that source? guessing the seal r and r requires removal of the transaxle. used to be a fairly common job on old rwd 6s and v8s in the 60s/70s. thanks tons bob f

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rfisher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rfisher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2019, 06:27 PM   #2
Al10453
Al10453 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: the old rear main bearing seal trick

My rear main seal on a LW200 2.2 was replaced @ about 65K front seal let go @ 207k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Al10453's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Al10453 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Al10453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:54 PM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

My rear main seal has not been replaced, it's the original factory installed part. The front seal never leaked, but was replaced when the timing and balance shaft chains and components were replaced. The only engine oil leak appeared at around 275K miles and was located at the lower lefthand corner of the timing cover. Of course, that leak is gone now. 🙂😁 The valve cover gasket was also replaced at that time as well. It had never leaked previously.

320,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:55 AM   #4
rfisher
rfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the rough

hi a104 and pierrot- curious as hell what was the clip on this repair. surmise the seal was about 3.98 and the labor about 1000. this is one of those repairs that usually involves collateral damage and $$$. like the recent astros home run that knocked the yanks out of the world series. be careful of unexpected home runs. they can send your wallet to the planet mongo. thanks tons bob f

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rfisher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rfisher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:24 PM   #5
Al10453
Al10453 is on a distinguished road

I think it was around $600 in 2007.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Al10453's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Al10453 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Al10453 is offline   Reply With Quote