SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #61
jonbarker
jonbarker is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default Re: Exhaust cam shaft timing gear

yes. I then took off the plunger and upper guide cylinder.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jonbarker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jonbarker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jonbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #62
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

What it looks like is somewhere in this process there is an intake valve bent in #3. You can inject air into #3 with the piston at TDC on the firing stroke and listen at the throttle body inlet and exhaust for escaping air to see if it is actually a valve problem.

There is an issue with #3 that has to be sorted out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:26 AM   #63
jonbarker

1998 SL2

do i put #3 piston at TDC or does No.1 go to TDC ? Is there an alternative to using an air compressor with the attachment that screws into the plug hole ?

And here is the other thing that may be useful. After thinking more of the whole install procedure. I remember when I first started taking the engine apart. I took off that vacuum hose that goes from the PCV valve to the intake manifold port. There was a lot of gunk built up on that intake manifold port so I started spraying it with carb cleaner and the little red hose that attaches to the spray nozzle popped off. i`m about 90% sure it flew right in that whole. that whole travels closer to No.3 than it does to #2 or #4. Would that have burned up or melt and clog it open ? All of my old plugs have black soot on them. the new plugs only have black soot on 1 and 4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jonbarker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-17-2012, 07:39 AM   #64
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

That plastic straw is not likely the problem. The 1-4 plugs could be ignition or plugs. The #3 piston has to be up on the compression stroke and at TDC then blow air into the cylinder with any low pressure source you can find that is quiet enough you can hear where the air is escaping from.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #65
jonbarker

1998 SL2

OK, I have one of those electric air pumps to blow up an air mattress. So I bring no. 3 up to tdc then put the air hose down the plug hole, then open up the throttle, turn on hose then listen for air coming out of the throttle. Can I take off the EGR and listen for air coming out of there ? You mentioned something about exhaust. Or do i listen from the end of the exhaust pipe ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2012, 08:49 AM   #66
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You listen at the exhaust pipe, be sure that you actually have #3 up on compression and not exhaust or you will get bad results.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2012, 10:01 AM   #67
jonbarker

1998 SL2

OK, I just put my wooden dowel into the plug hole then rotate the engine until it peaks at the top, right ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #68
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You put your finger in the hole and crank it until you feel pressure build, or as it read zero you will have to do the test twice from the all the way up position. Crank it until it comes to TDC and test and then turn crank pulley 360 degrees and repeat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #69
jonbarker

1998 SL2

Hey nuc, I have not been able to run that test yet because I do not have an body to help me with this. The one thing that concerns me is that I could have sworn that before i did this I had 99,600 miles on the odometer. now it`s at 99,200. If the computer is messed up could this also be the cause ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #70
jonbarker

1998 SL2

OK, the 3rd piston is at TDC. do the other cylinders stay open or should the plugs stay in when I pump air in to No. 3 ? I can see that the piston moves. I can also see that number 1 tdc is still in time with the bottom crankshaft.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #71
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Leave the plugs out and put the car in gear or in park as the air may tend to spin the engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #72
OldNuc

1998 SC2

It is not a computer problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #73
jonbarker

1998 SL2

Ok. I brought 3rd cylinder up to TDC. I put 1, 2 and 4 plugs back in. I inserted air pump hose in to No.3 Turned on pump. I then put my hand and ear on tail pipe. I heard and felt nothing. I then walked around car up the driver side and could immediately hear air ripping through the throttle body when it was closed. I opened the throttle and the air was much stronger. I pulled hose out of No. 3 and the air stopped. I then put it back in No.3 and it came out of throttle body again. Also when I first started the car just to see what would happen before this test it did the same. I pulled no.3 plug out and the top of the piston was wet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #74
jonbarker

1998 SL2

guess I have to do it again. I did not see your post of leaving the plugs out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #75
jonbarker

1998 SL2

I did it again and the same results. no.3 is blowing air out of the throttle body and not the exhaust pipe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #76
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Turn the engine crank 360 degrees and repeat test. This will insure that the intakes are closed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #77
OldNuc

1998 SC2

After the repeat above if it still blows air then remove the cam cover and take a look at the #3 intake valves/rockers etc. A couple of clear, in focus photos would help. Need a shot with the rockers on the heel of the cam and a shot with the valves full open.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #78
jonbarker

1998 SL2

It blew air again. I have a DOHC. I don`t have rockers. I have camshaft bearing caps and camshaft lobes, lifters then there are the springs and valves underneath. To get to the springs I have to take the timing cover and chain kit off again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #79
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Opps. Just remove the cam cover and get a couple of shots of the #3 intakes full closed and full open.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #80
jonbarker

1998 SL2

I took some just before I put the valve cover back on yesterday. Or do you need pictures when No.3 is at TDC.

what do I do to fully close and then to fully open No. 3

REWARD EXCELLENCE!