SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #21
jonbarker
jonbarker is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default Re: Exhaust cam shaft timing gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
What are those?^^^^ To check holes use a small screw driver and see if the bottom is RTV/loctite/foreign material free. A fiber brush and a drill works well but finding a fiber brush is an undertaking.
OLS was supposed to OLD bolts. bad typing error

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jonbarker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jonbarker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jonbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #22
jonbarker

1998 SL2

Good afternoon Old Nuc !!!! On the DOHC. Is there a small rectangle shaped hole that releases oil on to the chain. It`s located just underneath the cylinder head bolt that's behind part of the exhaust cam sprocket. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jonbarker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #23
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbarker View Post
OLS was supposed to OLD bolts. bad typing error
Old bolts that you are gong to re-use must be clean also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #24
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbarker View Post
Good afternoon Old Nuc !!!! On the DOHC. Is there a small rectangle shaped hole that releases oil on to the chain. It`s located just underneath the cylinder head bolt that's behind part of the exhaust cam sprocket. Thanks
Look at this picture, are you talking about the rectangular port that is just above the head/block joint and just to the right of the head bolt?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #25
jonbarker

1998 SL2

yeah, it`s just below and a tad to the right of the head bolt. is oil supposed to come out of there ? I do not see a picture link

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #26
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That is because I forgot it..
https://picasaweb.google.com/1159762...08923974669346

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #27
jonbarker

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Now that's what I call a hot ass DOHC engine rebuild !!!!!!!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #28
jonbarker

1998 SL2

yeah it`s the rectangle port just to the right and underneath the bolt head on the exhaust side.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #29
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That is one of the oil drains that happens to return into the chain area.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #30
jonbarker

1998 SL2

OK, Cool that's what I thought. Just wanted to make sure I did not have a leak. are there any other port holes for oil to run through besides the two round oil seals ? I figure it would be a good idea to make sure nothing is clogged before I wrap this beast up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #31
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Unless you put the head gasket on upside down they are open. The rest of them are the round bulges on the block that run from the lower flange to the deck. They do not plug up so it is not a concern.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #32
jonbarker

1998 SL2

Thanks, I`m replacing the o-rings for all the fuel injectors. The old ones are very dirty and greasy. I`m having trouble figuring out how to disconnect the electrical connectors. I feel like the retaining wires on the connector is going to bend or break.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2012, 09:36 AM   #33
jonbarker

1998 SL2

Got em off. No.'s 1,2 and 3 appear to have some type of oil in both ends of the electrical connectors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #34
jonbarker

1998 SL2

Almost forgot to ask. Is it OK to put some dialectic grease on fuel injector connectors ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #35
OldNuc

1998 SC2

No, The only part you can grease is the finned rubber seals so they are easier to insert. Do not grease so heavily you can see it either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #36
jonbarker

1998 SL2

Ok, The 8 seals are lightly oiled and secured back to the fuel rail. I did them one by one so I would not mix 'em up. These look like the Delphi brand I see on rock Auto. I also cleaned the connectors with electrical cleaner spray. so no dialectic on the wire connecters ? OK, Well there is another completed Saturn S-Series project in the book. Thanks man !!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #37
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Have fun now!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #38
jonbarker

1998 SL2

Yeah, This is awesome. i,m doing stuff I never have thought i could do. Thank god for the net, Haynes, Old Nuc, Richpin06, Razorback and of coarse the Saturn S-Series.

BTW, The packaging on my Genuine OEM parts states it`s shipped from Springhill, Tenn. I thought they shut down. You ever need any part numbers just let me know. I have everything, including bolts and push pins, lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #39
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I think they are still emptying a warehouse there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-14-2012, 06:50 AM   #40
jonbarker

1998 SL2

I see. I have another question before I put the timing kit and cover back on. How do i tell the year of the s-series. I think my exhaust cam might be just a tad little bent. I saw a DOHC s-series cam at the junk yard and it looks like it sets better on the lifters. Are all the DOHC cams the same ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!