SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #1
jonbarker
jonbarker is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default Exhaust cam shaft timing gear

Hello all. I`m still new at posting threads. I have been doing research on this forum, reading the Haynes s-series repair manual, richpin06 how to videos and Razorback's timing chain kit replacement pics. for the past 7-8 months. I now feel plenty of confidence to do this job on my own with the help of a loyal neighbor. When I took off the valve cover I noticed much slack in the chain right away as also the exhaust timing gear position mark was more like at the 11:56 position or one link off. The intake gear was dead on. Now when I took everything else off and put the new GM OEM timing kit on the exhaust gear tightened right back up and is realigned in the 12:00 position. Is this normal for the exhaust gear to slip off the 12:00 position due to a stretched chain or is the exhaust camshaft bent or bad also ? Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jonbarker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jonbarker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jonbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Exhaust cam shaft timing gear

When facing the timing chain the right hand strand must be tight and if it is not then the exhaust will be retarded. This is why you pin the cam sprockets in place when installing a new timing set.

On a used timing system there is sufficient slack in the hydraulic tensioner to allow the front-right chain strand to go slack and result in a slight exhaust cam retard.

Contrary to (incorrect) conventional wisdom the timing system can not "jump a tooth" without serious mechanical damage in the 91-98 DOHC and will be instantly noticeable in the other engines also. Chain failure is a very rare event and the service life with extremely poor engine maintenance is well over 160,000 miles and with proper maintenance the timing system will outlast the remainder of the car, 250,000 miles+.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
jonbarker

1998 SL2

Hey OldNuc, I have read a lot of your stuff also. you possess great warrior type wisdom. Yes, I have the '98 sl2 DOHC. Not only was the chain stretched but both guides were broke. I found pieces in the oil pan. I remember when I first bought this from a local Deputy he told me that his girlfriend did not keep up with oil changes and ran it quite often low on oil. Also to let you know I`m in the Florida humid heat. They put in a new water pump. I bought it from them with 74,000 miles on it and the rattle noise was there. I drove it up to 99,600 before i started this process. Ever since I bought this I personally have changed the oil myself every 2,000 miles. So your saying that my exhaust Camshaft should be OK ? Thanks man !!!!!! One more thing please, what type of lube do I need to get to lube up the timing kit components. And is it the same stuff to put on the cam shafts ? This has been sitting a few days.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jonbarker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Permatex Ultra slick. You can get it at the parts store. Also after assembly reprime the oil system before starting.

The filter will be full so that should not be a required step but do change the oil before start. And if you change the filter, which you should do then fil it and prime the pump discharge per instructions.

To prime the oil system on a Saturn engine after a complete overhaul, head replacement, timing chain replacement or long term storage perform the following steps.

-Fill crankcase with 4 1/2 quarts of fresh new 5w-30 oil if this is the initial fill following a rebuild otherwise use 4 quarts of oil. Use a decent quality name brand oil.

-Fill a squirt pistol type oiler with the same oil.

-Squirt oil into the square port on the right side of the filter base do this several times until you can not get more oil to stay in it. This will take 4 to 6 ounces of oil.

-Fill the new oil filter a bit more than 1/2 full and screw it in place.

-Remove the PCM B fuse from the UHJB (under hood fuse box). This will prevent the fuel pump and injectors from operating while priming.

-Remove spark plugs.

-Place 1 squirt of 5w-30 oil in each cylinder.

-Turn key to crank and crank engine with the starter until the oil pressure light goes out. This may take several 20-30 second runs of the starter.

-Release key when the oil pressure light goes off.

-Turn key to crank and crank engine again until oil pressure light goes out. Repeat 2 times.

-Replace spark plugs.

-Replace PCM B fuse.

-Prime fuel system by turning key to on but not crank and wait until pump stops, turn key to off, wait 30 seconds. Repeat 2 times.

-Start engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
jonbarker

1998 SL2

OK thanks. Now with this kit, they gave me a new oil pump plate. should I take off old oil pump cover then pack the pump with Vaseline and then put on the new pump cover and new T bolts. BTW. are those T 30 heads ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Whatever size fits. I would not open up the oil pump unless I was going to replace the gears. Might not be a bad idea though to replace the pump gear set. Use the old crank sprocket to line up the rotor when replacing the cover, insert from the outside. The chamfer on the outer rotor goes into the timing cover first, coat with ultra slick.

Do not pack with Vaseline as it will block filters.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbarker View Post
OK thanks. Now with this kit, they gave me a new oil pump plate.
You got an oil pump plate with a timing chain kit? What kit did you get?

rc1488 did his oil pump when he did his chain, IIRC said it ran him about $20 (use the advanced search feature, look for threads with the word "debrief" in the title, started by him.)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
jonbarker

1998 SL2

I got the timing kit from Saturnparts.net. just type in 21008553. it includes the pump cover and the upper cylinder guide that sits between the two cam sprockets. This is for the DOHC. I`m not sure what the number is for the SOHC. I could not get the permatex ultra slick. All I could find was the Lucas high performance semi-synthetic assembly lube.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
jonbarker

1998 SL2

I think I`ll wait for the oil pump. It`s going to take another 3-4 days to order and I need this back together and running before the weekend is over.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #10
jonbarker

1998 SL2

Well WTF, I can get the aftermarket gear set from auto-zone in 2 days. Is that melling OK ? Or i can get the sealed power from rock auto in 2 days. I`m scared to death of aftermarket products !!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Should be fine. Be sure to coat with assembly lube.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #12
jonbarker

1998 SL2

sure thing. Now I should not use any of the lube until I`m ready to put the cover back on right. For instance, I should not lube every thing up then wait a day or two to put the cover back on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #13
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The ultra slick clings well so it is not a big deal but as close to assembly and startup as reasonably possible. Be sure that the timing cover bolt holes are all cleaned of any RTV and the holes in the bottom for the pan bolts and the holes in the block are also clean. Clean out the oil pump cover screw holes and do not over torque the screws. Failure to removed cur3ed RTV from bolt holes results in broken timing cover or block. Find 2 long metric studs so you can thread them into a couple of upper bolt holes to allow hanging the cover in front of where it belongs as this will make installation much simpler. There is an oil drain in the bottom of the timing cover, do not block it with RTV.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #14
jonbarker

1998 SL2

I kept the top engine mount studs on the cover. I`v been cleaning the block and cylinder head with acetone and a very soft steel wool. then i`ll spray it with break cleaner. Checking the holes are hard to do. Hard to look in all of them. should the ols blots be gasket free also ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #15
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Hey OldNuc, I have read a lot of your stuff also. you possess great warrior type wisdom. ...
Rumor has it....he is not just one person, but an entire team of mechanics, engineers and scientists answering to the screen name, “OldNuc.”
believe it

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #16
jonbarker

1998 SL2

Hell of a guy I tell ya !!!!! Another of the 10 billion questions I have. The key on the crankshaft. Is that supposed to be pushed back as far as it will go to the block ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #17
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
I kept the top engine mount studs on the cover. I`v been cleaning the block and cylinder head with acetone and a very soft steel wool. then i`ll spray it with break cleaner. Checking the holes are hard to do. Hard to look in all of them. should the ols blots be gasket free also ?
Final cleaning with acetone, brake cleaner leaves a petroleum film... The environazis got to the formula.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

All fasteners and holes must be clean or any torque value is a joke. Use either locktite or antiseize on all fasteners and only locktite on the top mount studs if you take them out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
... the ols blots ...?
What are those?^^^^ To check holes use a small screw driver and see if the bottom is RTV/loctite/foreign material free. A fiber brush and a drill works well but finding a fiber brush is an undertaking.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #20
jonbarker

1998 SL2

I`ll do just that. what about that key on the crank ? Is that supposed to be pushed all the way toward the block. Mine is about and inch or so o from the block end.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!