SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2
Default Plug and Play HID kits...

I was on my Chevy Forums when I came across a Sponsor of ours Called HIDextra.com. Being very questionable, I told my co-workers about the kit to see if anyone was interested in purchasing a set for their car. I'm not a person who typically trusts online business' as I've heard tons of horror stories. Most of you probably know the stories I'm referring to.

My friend bought 2 kits from HIDextra online for his Toyota Celica. Both kits came in super fast. I was still questioning the quality because of the cheap price. My friend installed both kits and fired 'em up. Absolutely no issues at all. He said the kit was very easy to install and he's had no issues with them flickering, not turning on, or discoloration. I checked them out, and sure enough they were pretty sweet. I was really impressed in the quality and the simplicity of the installation. It truly was a plug and play kit.

Trust me, I drilled HIDextra with questions about quality, what happens if they don't work, if the bulbs don't last long... anything you yourself would be asking. I don't believe in prices that are too good to be true.

To make a long story short, after seeing multiple testimonies and my own experience, I've ordered my own kit. I will post pictures as soon as I install them. I will then post pictures so you guys can see the quality yourselves.

These are some of those testimonies. My friend is on there as well, so I know they are not made up: http://www.hidextra.com/reviews.php?page=1

All in all, here is the major benefit for you folks. I've talked with HIDextra.com about possibly getting us kits. Not only have they agreed to supply us with kits, they threw in a discount coupon. Allow me to supply you with some of their information and information of my own to help you make an educated decision.

The kit is originally $75 online. The coupon code allows you to get a $15 discount. The kit actually comes out to be $60, sales tax and shipping included.

Here is the Info:
Here is the coupon code: saturnsp-m
email: info@hidextra.com
tel: 860-821-8212

Michelle the contact, is available for technical support and will be answering the questions you might have.

The kit includes: HID conversion kit comes with 2x Digital Ballasts, 2 x HID Bulbs, 2 Wire harness, 2 Double adhesive pads, and Wire ties.

$60.00 per kit only applies to the following bulb sizes:
H1, H3, H4 (Low HID/High halogen), H7, H8, H9, H10, H11, H13 (Low HID/High halogen), 880,881, 886, 889, 893, 894, 896, 898, 899, 9003 (Low HID/High halogen), 9004 (Low HID/High halogen), 9005, 9006, 9007 (Low HID/High halogen), 9008 (Low HID/High halogen), 9140, 9145.

$90.00 for dual beam HID (Bi-Xenon)
Dual Bi-Xenon available bulb size:
H4, H13, 9003, 9007, 9008

Bulb size can be confirmed by visiting: http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...lacementGuide/

Color temperature are offered in:
3000K (Lumen output - 4000 lm) - Golden yellow
5000K (Lumen output - 3250 lm) - White with yellowish tint
6000K (Lumen output - 3000 lm) - Diamond white
8000K (Lumen output - 2800 lm) - White with blue tint
10000K (Lumen output - 2600 lm) - Blue
12000K (Lumen output - 2400 lm) - Deep Blue

Shipping : 3~4 days.

A reminder, before making the payments please confirm all information for your order.
Make sure the bulb size and bulb color is correct.
Most importantly make sure the SHIPPING ADDRESS on your payment receipt is the correct address before submitting the payment. This would avoid unnecessary delays.

Please note: the coupon code is only valid for one HID kit per transaction. For 2 HID kit orders you'll require to process each HID kit as a single order in order to receive discount on all orders.

Here are some basic questions and answers I have received pertaining to these questions:

1.) What all does your 2 year warranty cover? *** The 2 year warranty covers all kits and it's parts, so if you ever encounter any parts that either dies out or defective, we will replace them for you, no questions ask. (eg. if your bulb dies out, send us back the bad bulb, we send another good one out to you)
2.) How long have you been in business? *** We have been in business for 6 years and since we own our own manufacturer, we guarantee quality and are able to give you the lowest price and one stop customer service without any middleman.
.................................................. ..........
When contacting Michelle be sure to include the following:
1.) YR MAKE MODEL
2.) What color would you like? (picture at 1st page of this thread)
5000K - White with light yellow tint (Closest to OEM)
6000K - Pure White
8000K - White with light blue tint
3.) Are you looking for bulbs only? or the Conversion Kit?
4.) Other questions?

I am extending this offer to my fellow saturn peeps. I hope you will like your kits and I hope you can write a review on HIDextra's website to share your experience.

Now... On to the good stuff....

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OnDaGround's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2
Default Re: Plug and Play HID kits...

Here are the links to other forum threads and reviews:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ligh...id-review.html

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/view...7391&start=460

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread...558860&page=12

http://acurazine.com/forums/showthre...723872&page=12

http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=849587&page=3

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/group-...d-members.html

http://mustangforums.com/forum/musta...id-review.html

http://forums.evolutionm.net/vendor-...members-4.html

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-...installed.html

On to the bulbs starting from left to right....

3000K, 5000K, 6000K, 8000K, 10000K
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3000K.jpg (2.6 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 5000K.jpg (2.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 6000K.jpg (2.6 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 8000K.jpg (2.6 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 10000K BULB.jpg (2.9 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 8000K DAY.jpg (22.0 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 8000K NIGHT.jpg (22.2 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 10000K.jpg (26.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg HALOGEN VS.jpg (23.6 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg HID VS.jpg (23.6 KB, 85 views)

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-07-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

More pics supplied....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SCION.jpg (29.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg MAZDA.jpg (26.0 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg BULBS TO BALLAST.jpg (30.2 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg BALLAST TO HARNESS.jpg (31.9 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg HARNESS.jpg (48.7 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg BULBS IN.jpg (56.9 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg SCION INTERNAL.jpg (58.9 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg INSTALL KIT.jpg (41.2 KB, 105 views)

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-07-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

To bad they don't make Hi/Low H4 Telescoping HID's for us 1st Gen coups!!!

Its all good though!! Bought mine already

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-07-2009, 01:52 PM   #5
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

More pics....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HID KIT.jpg (61.9 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg GALLERY.jpg (186.4 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg HID BEEMER.jpg (169.9 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg hid HONDA.jpg (24.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg HID SCION.jpg (83.0 KB, 44 views)

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-07-2009, 01:54 PM   #6
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1488 View Post
To bad they don't make Hi/Low H4 Telescoping HID's for us 1st Gen coups!!!

Its all good though!! Bought mine already
lol trust me I wish they did. lol I'll pm you in a bit. I would love nothing more then to be able to put in HIDs on the coupe. Even a low beam HID would be better than the Sylvania Hi.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-07-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

Well let me know what you guys think, or if you have any questions... I'll see what they say. These are pictures they have supplied me with. I'll get pics of mine up and pics of my friends car up as well. True this is business for them, but it is a huge advantage for us to get a deal + a 2 year warranty.

I've asked and they responded:

You can buy these kits for your other vehicles if you want. You can still use the code.

Saturnless...

Last edited by OnDaGround; 08-07-2009 at 02:01 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-08-2009, 01:49 AM   #8
quantumech
Advanced Member
quantumech is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1

How long is the discount code good for? I'm thinking about it, but not sure when I'll have the money for both sets (high/drl and low). It's also the first mod (albeit a minor one) to the car other then making the side markers blink...I would have thought they would have done that anyway. I'm just starting to really get in there!

Sasha: 2000 SL1, Manual, 130,500 miles 5-18-2014.

I learn from my experiences. If I screw up, I'm sorry.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quantumech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quantumech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-08-2009, 07:48 AM   #9
97RedSaturnSC2
97RedSaturnSC2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
1996 SC2

"lol trust me I wish they did. lol I'll pm you in a bit. I would love nothing more then to be able to put in HIDs on the coupe. Even a low beam HID would be better than the Sylvania Hi."

You can put HIDs on your car, very simple actually. although you will have to modify or tap into your factory headlight harness if you do not want to cut it.
Heres what you need in addition to an HID kit:

1. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4x6-4...=p4506.c0.m245

2 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CLEAR...=p4506.c0.m245

a couple for example, when i did my conversion i looked for ones that had glass housings so they would last longer and not discolor right away

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 97RedSaturnSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 97RedSaturnSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2009, 07:51 AM   #10
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumech View Post
How long is the discount code good for? I'm thinking about it, but not sure when I'll have the money for both sets (high/drl and low). It's also the first mod (albeit a minor one) to the car other then making the side markers blink...I would have thought they would have done that anyway. I'm just starting to really get in there!
I'll find out. Let me see if I can get Michelle to come on here and answer your questions. I'm just a messenger. lol

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-10-2009, 09:23 AM   #11
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumech View Post
......both sets (high/drl and low).
Just get them for your low beams. Unless you drive for exdended periods of time (several minutes) with your high beams on, getting HID highs is a waste of money. Plus HID's wont work with the cars DRL system unless you disable it.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 Saturn SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2009, 12:26 PM   #12
quantumech
Advanced Member
quantumech is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1

Good point Mike. Got a little overzealous .

Another thing occurred to me last night. A few years ago there was a large fuss about these types of lamps and how they are actually illegal to use. Has that changed?

Sasha: 2000 SL1, Manual, 130,500 miles 5-18-2014.

I learn from my experiences. If I screw up, I'm sorry.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quantumech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quantumech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2009, 12:46 PM   #13
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

They are not illegal. Which would be why you've seen just about every new make and model with them. It's a brilliant invention, on the account the operator of the vehicle is smart enough to adjust them properly. Which most are not capable of doing.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-10-2009, 12:49 PM   #14
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

I haven't heard anyone complain about issues with installing them with DRLs. Not just from HIDextra, but anyone. That's the first I've ever heard of it. I'll have to look into it. I don't see how it would be possible. There are so many parts that make the DRL function possible. Light sensors, e-brake switch, trans sensor (for cars that turn it on only when in drive), relays, etc.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-10-2009, 12:54 PM   #15
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnDaGround View Post
I haven't heard anyone complain about issues with installing them with DRLs. Not just from HIDextra, but anyone. That's the first I've ever heard of it. I'll have to look into it. I don't see how it would be possible. There are so many parts that make the DRL function possible. Light sensors, e-brake switch, trans sensor (for cars that turn it on only when in drive), relays, etc.

Saturn DRL's run the highbeam bulbs at 1/2 wattage. Normally the highbeams get a full 12 volts when used normally. When being used as DRL's, the DRL relay in the underhood junction box changes the highbeam circuit from a parallel circuit to a series circuit and giving each bulb 6 volts. Not enough voltage to get the HID ballast going. If you try connecting the HID's kit to the highbeam circuit, you'll kill the ballasts very quickly.

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 Saturn SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2009, 01:06 PM   #16
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Saturn DRL's run the highbeam bulbs at 1/2 wattage. Normally the highbeams get a full 12 volts when used normally. When being used as DRL's, the DRL relay in the underhood junction box changes the highbeam circuit from a parallel circuit to a series circuit and giving each bulb 6 volts. Not enough voltage to get the HID ballast going. If you try connecting the HID's kit to the highbeam circuit, you'll kill the ballasts very quickly.
Thinking about it, I remember seeing the schematics somewhere. I should have remembered that. It's only on the s-series though... You can get some for your truck.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-10-2009, 01:35 PM   #17
Low Saturn

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnDaGround View Post
You can get some for your truck.
I've had them for quite a while:

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 Saturn SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-10-2009, 01:36 PM   #18
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

I figured you'd already have them.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #19
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Agreed. The DRL will not work with HID's in the high beams. I did install them as High beams and made other changes to have DRL's (DRL's are very important I think)

The ballasts have worked for 2 years in the high beam circuit. They now are in the '98 as low beams and work just as good as the day I got them

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2009, 02:18 PM   #20
plastic torpedo
plastic torpedo will become famous soon enoughplastic torpedo will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2
1994 SC2

I love HID's. I might pick up a kit for my mom's Civic.

2000 SL2 5-speed turbo
MSnS-E fuel & spark controlled @ 17-20 psi (methanol injected)
Fully forged, P&P head and manifolds, FSR turbo cams, balanced to 9k RPM
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3070918

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plastic torpedo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plastic torpedo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread