SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2018, 02:20 PM   #5321
Blueboy
Blueboy is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
1998 SL2
Default Re: What did you do to your S-Series today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Nice, I see some of the MI folks took advantage of our 50F weather yesterday.
Yes, that was the plan, but the thermostat from RockAuto was delayed by a day, so it wasn't completed until this morning. But the new o-ring fit and there are no leaks, so all is well.

As of March 2018:
2001 SL2 Manual 223K
1998 SL2 Auto 46K
1998 SL2 Manual 1.5K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Blueboy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Blueboy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Blueboy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2018, 08:40 AM   #5322
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

On the 2001 SL1; I had some undercarriage rust looked after by a body shop guy who does work out of his home.

There were 5 areas of concern - the 2 front jack point locations had rusted through, the right rocker panel and pinch weld, the left trailing arm mount and an area of the rear floor pan. It was getting harder to jack the car up with the jack points or the right side pinch weld. The photos show some or the concerned areas and the repair work in progress.

He had the car for a week and only charged me $325 CAD ($261 USD). I'm pretty happy with that price and this should keep the SL1 going for a while longer. It currently has 413K km on it and is running like a top.

On the 1999 SL2 a few weeks earlier; I had the rear bumper repainted after I was rear ended by a young girl. It was a light tap and only scuffed the paint. I used the same guy as above and she paid for it. That also fixed a bad repair job that was done by the previous owner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0181.JPG (145.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0182.JPG (152.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0178.jpg (193.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0180.jpg (198.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0179.jpg (141.0 KB, 20 views)

2001 SL1 MT (417,500 km @ 05/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (260,870 km @ 05/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (111,176 km @ 05/2018)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

:canada:

Last edited by trottida; 01-15-2018 at 08:46 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:48 AM   #5323
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Wrench Re: What did you do to your S-Series today...

Repainted the front bumper cover (stone chipped), 3D printed new front license plate brackets and re-mounted my aftermarket LED "fog lights".

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:35 PM   #5324
38TransAM
38TransAM has a spectacular aura about38TransAM has a spectacular aura about38TransAM has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL2
1999 SL2

Replaced wiper motor in the driveway at 20deg.

It works, sounds like crap, but it works.

Saturn OEM GM reman. engine NO LONGER AVAILABLE (SOLD OUT)
96 SL2 still kicking at 182k (now with updated mileage)
99 HCE 63k Now at 97k and new GM Reman engine due to road debris

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 38TransAM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 38TransAM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
38TransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:16 PM   #5325
Zeebins
Zeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

Thought I had a popped tire yesterday and was going to have to pay for a whole new (or used) tire. Took it to the local tire shop earlier this afternoon and turned out to just be a cracked air valve. Ended up costing me 10 bucks to fix, not to bad if a deal for what I was expecting.

Before I could get a fixed tire though it was trust donut tire to the rescue! This thing is still great after 21 years
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2945.JPG (136.4 KB, 14 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:08 AM   #5326
Nekomimi
Nekomimi is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekomimi View Post
Yesterday went to the top rated Midas in town to have my cat replaced, since I had to wait as long as I did they gave me a 30$ discount. A very pleasant and comfortable experience, tho I'll have to bring it back monday since there's a small leak in one of the welds.

The tech also welded and replaced the clamp on the Catback adjustable pipe, I thought they were referring to the flex pipe when it was mentioned. Though I preferred the 1-1/2" bandclamp over the heavy-duty U-Bolt clamp they replaced it with.
Ok so to follow up, the leaks we're coming from the flex pipe band clamp and the rear adjustable pipe, witch was not actually welded. It just looked like it initially since it was ground on. The front band clamp had blown all of the sealer out, so I tried Ultra copper as a sealent for both joints. Both band clamps and seals have held up nicely so far ^^

Today I flew up a steep hill with absolutely no effort on the way to work

'96 SL1 Originally the family car, passed on to me as my first. "Hellcat" 240,000+ miles and purring smooth.
My Mug is filled with the lost souls of imports.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nekomimi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nekomimi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nekomimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:53 AM   #5327
dummo
Master Member
dummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nice

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebins View Post
Thought I had a popped tire yesterday and was going to have to pay for a whole new (or used) tire. Took it to the local tire shop earlier this afternoon and turned out to just be a cracked air valve. Ended up costing me 10 bucks to fix, not to bad if a deal for what I was expecting.

Before I could get a fixed tire though it was trust donut tire to the rescue! This thing is still great after 21 years
As a rule, you should always put the space saver spare on the rear.
Unfortunately front tires also go flat.

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:33 PM   #5328
Blueboy
Blueboy is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
1998 SL2

On the 2001, the coolant was drained and the thermostat removed. It was then filled with distilled water and driven around for a while, then drained again. A new Stant thermostat was installed and then refilled with regular Prestone. The ects was changed a few months ago. The temp gauge had been at 1/4 but is now at 7/16. The heater was okay before, but now it's really hot.

Also, oil & filter changed (regular Pennzoil 5W30 and long filter) and the air filter changed.

As of March 2018:
2001 SL2 Manual 223K
1998 SL2 Auto 46K
1998 SL2 Manual 1.5K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Blueboy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Blueboy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Blueboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 01:12 AM   #5329
Zeebins
Zeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummo View Post
As a rule, you should always put the space saver spare on the rear.
Unfortunately front tires also go flat.
I've heard of that, unfortunately I was kind of in a pinch and didn't have time to do it properly. I only drove on it for about 10 miles though and everything seems fine after the fact

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-21-2018, 01:58 PM   #5330
KNGRK9
KNGRK9 has a spectacular aura aboutKNGRK9 has a spectacular aura aboutKNGRK9 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

Changed Calipers, Rotors, and Pads today.
Replaced ABS pump, need to replace front right wheel hub assembly now as the abs sensor screw broke off in it. Used a junk yard replacement to fix my old one.

Next up: find this front left clunking noise from braking going forward then back. I suspect balljoint as the right side went bad about 4000 miles back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo_2018-01-19_14-48-06.jpg (112.4 KB, 14 views)

1999 SL2 HCE - 245k (wrecked)(rebuilding)
2004 Ion Redline - 108k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KNGRK9's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KNGRK9 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KNGRK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:23 PM   #5331
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNGRK9 View Post
Changed Calipers, Rotors, and Pads today.
Replaced ABS pump, need to replace front right wheel hub assembly now as the abs sensor screw broke off in it. Used a junk yard replacement to fix my old one.

Next up: find this front left clunking noise from braking going forward then back. I suspect balljoint as the right side went bad about 4000 miles back.
Check the gap between the end of the front lower bar and the threaded insert after braking and after backing up --do not use brakes when backing up though --hand brake to stop instead. The ends tend to pull out of the bar.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:07 PM   #5332
KNGRK9
KNGRK9 has a spectacular aura aboutKNGRK9 has a spectacular aura aboutKNGRK9 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

Didn't get the clunk, may have to do with braking in reverse and turning right. Here's some photos of it from sitting in park over night, reverse, forward, reverse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo_2018-01-21_17-04-30.jpg (153.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg photo_2018-01-21_17-04-31 (2).jpg (134.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg photo_2018-01-21_17-04-31 (3).jpg (136.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg photo_2018-01-21_17-04-31.jpg (146.6 KB, 9 views)

2004 Ion Redline - 108k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help KNGRK9 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-21-2018, 08:45 PM   #5333
KNGRK9

1999 SL2

Found the problem Apparently one of the caliper bolts was loose only slide rail

2004 Ion Redline - 108k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-31-2018, 12:12 AM   #5334
Zeebins

1997 SL2

For the past month or so I've thought I had a failing belt tensioner since the belt would make a really loud squealing noise at lower rmps. Brought it into the shop as I don't really have a good way of replacing a part like that on my own. Turned out to not be a bad tensioner but an oil leak spraying oil all over the belt. Apparently the leak was coming from the valve cover gasket and I was about 1qt low on oil because of it.

So in the end, new valve cover gasket, new belt as the oil stretched the old one out, and back up and running better than before

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-03-2018, 01:40 PM   #5335
Sera
Sera is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1
1997 SW2

I replaced the spark plugs and wires on my '02 SC1, and a bit later I'm going to investigate a leaky sunroof issue.

1997 SW2 - 260k and going strong
2000 SL2 - 340k, RIP (Died in a hit and run on the interstate)
2002 SC1 - 98k, my chariot!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sera's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sera reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:29 AM   #5336
RedRocketZ28
RedRocketZ28 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Had to replace the starter last week. Ended up buying a unit from Amazon (ECCPP) for $37 and it worked flawlessly. Hope I don't have to go through the pain of putting that top bolt back in though!

Also changed the oil and transmission fluid/filter while I had it jacked up. I've owned it for 6 months now and once the weather got cold the trans did some weird things. I had the reverse slam issue, a pretty bad 2-3 slip, and some other weird downshifting issues. It only does the reverse slam on occasion now but it's not near as bad, and the other issues have all gone away. The fluid wasn't burnt but had a weird smell to it. Also, had the magnet still on what looked like a stock filter. Could have been changed out with a stock filter but who knows. I took the magnet off and replaced it with a cheap Purolator filter.

I have a high idle at times that I need to figure out still and need change the thermostat. Other than that it's running well.

2002 Saturn SL2 - "Beater"
2001 Camaro Z28 - "RedRocket" - 365", S480, 4L80E, 9", MS3Pro, E85 - 5.98 @ 119
2003 Silverado 1500HD - "Tow Rig" - Tune

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedRocketZ28's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedRocketZ28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedRocketZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:12 PM   #5337
Jaegweir1259
Jaegweir1259 will become famous soon enough

2002 SC1
Dizzy Re: What did you do to your S-Series today...

Wow I am so far behind.

Replaced the transmission valve body , new Fluid.

New Radiator

Installed Fog Lights

Installed New touch screen double din radio with back up camera

Replaced all bulbs with LED , except brake and headlights.

Cleaned and detailed engine compartment

New Battery

Installed 7 inch x 1 inch cob lighting to the front Floor wells wired to door switch

That should be about it. ( 4 months )

oh and new Top motor mount , this week

on to another project : Thinking old school baby moons on color matching body/rim

2002 Saturn SC1, Orange, 1.9L L4 MPFI 201,052 miles and counting

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaegweir1259's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaegweir1259 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jaegweir1259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:53 PM   #5338
Zeebins

1997 SL2

Quote:
For the past month or so I've thought I had a failing belt tensioner since the belt would make a really loud squealing noise at lower rmps. Brought it into the shop as I don't really have a good way of replacing a part like that on my own. Turned out to not be a bad tensioner but an oil leak spraying oil all over the belt. Apparently the leak was coming from the valve cover gasket and I was about 1qt low on oil because of it.

So in the end, new valve cover gasket, new belt as the oil stretched the old one out, and back up and running better than before
Back when I had this done, my mechanic recommended that I come back in two weeks or so to check on the leak and make sure it's actually gone. When he was originally testing for the leak he put this stuff in the oil that's yellow under a black light, kinda cool actually. Well when he ran his black light over the everything this morning the gasket was fine, no oil coming from that, but there is however still a leak. There's a small crack on the top of the valve cover that oil is still coming out of. He brought he into his garage to show me what he was talking about. It's very small but a crack is a crack, so oil does come out. Not too sure what I'm going to do about fixing this..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-09-2018, 02:03 PM   #5339
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
There's a small crack on the top of the valve cover that oil is still coming out of. He brought he into his garage to show me what he was talking about. It's very small but a crack is a crack, so oil does come out. Not too sure what I'm going to do about fixing this..
Hit the junkyard, find an aluminum cover to replace the plastic one, and never worry about it again?
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=187908

Plus, those covers look really cool when painted.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47071

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:03 PM   #5340
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Purchased a precut window tint kit on eBay last week and did the install yesterday. I figured for $25, what the heck. Surprisingly, it came out pretty good.

I was pretty sure I could do the flatter windows. The doors and quarter glass. I was sure I'd screw up the rear. After watching a few YouTube how-to's, I picked up a new heat gun and a drier sheet and proceeded to shrink the tint to the shape of the rear glass. It actually worked. My self done tint job looks as good at the "pro" job on my Camaro.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 Saturn SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote