SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion

Old 12-08-2019, 05:51 PM   #1
Wallyo
Wallyo is on a distinguished road

1997 SW1
Default Did I cause engine damage?

I did a stupid thing. I changed the oil in my Saturn, started the engine to check for leaks, got distracted, came back and notice loud valve lifter clicking and realized I didn't put in the new oil! I turned the engine off after about a half minute of running it dry. When I put in the new oil and started it again, it went well, except that there's now one lifter clicking pretty loud, and I can't say for sure if that's a new sound. Do you think I did damage? It's a 97 SW1, about 185,000 miles.

While we're at it, does anyone know where the engine coolant level sensor is? The radiator and reservoir are full but the coolant warning light flashes as soon as I start the engine. I think it's a faulty sensor, but can't find it.

Finally, why do I have to add oil so often? I don't see any oil spots on the driveway, and there's not a trace of blue smoke or smell in the exhaust.

I love this site, and thanks again for the many good tips on keeping my Saturn on the road.
Wallyo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2019, 10:19 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Did I cause engine damage?

I think you should repost this again in the S-series Tech forums. You'll probably get immediate replies.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:12 PM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: Did I cause engine damage?

^ ^ ^
+1, post in the model-specific forums.

You coolant level sensor is a simple float, located in the surge tank (some folks call it the reservoir) located on the passenger inside fender.

First, make sure that the tank is really full - the minimum cold level is at about the halfway mark on the tank. Full is at the tank seam, almost to the top of the tank.

If that doesn't fix it, drain and remove the tank, add a dash of dish soap and warm water using your fingers to plug the holes, and give it a decent shaking. That should unstick the float - you should hear it rattle / move. Rinse, install, and refill
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote