SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Mods and Performance
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2002, 10:15 PM   #1
Abe95SC2
Abe95SC2 is on a distinguished road

Default No more mods for me.

Well tonight after my ****fest time at the strip I have decided to stop modifying my saturn entirely. I feel very let down by my centerforce clutch and the phantom SLIP LSD conversion. For anyone considering the purchase of either the centerforce clutch or the phantom grip I suggest you spend your money on something else, Niether product worked as advertised.

Anyway since it looks like nothing can handle my new engine I'm going to quit modifying my car, it's pointless. Power is nothing without control.

Abe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Abe95SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Abe95SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2002, 10:20 PM   #2
nitrofumesrule!
nitrofumesrule! is on a distinguished road

Do you have the stiffest spring in the Phantom Grip?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nitrofumesrule!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nitrofumesrule! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2002, 10:28 PM   #3
Abe95SC2

Nope and I can't run really stiff springs because the car would be a ***** to drive in winter, my car is a daily driver.

Abe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Abe95SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2002, 10:42 PM   #4
Tycho
Tycho is on a distinguished road

I totally called the CFDF Abe

The PG needs time to wear in...mine got much grippier with the reds after about 2000 miles...so don't judge that yet. I still got single wheel spin to a degree...but WAY less than before (and NEVER on straight aways). I feel the Greens will resolve almost all of that.

What did you do to your engine? I'd love to know!

Mine is gonna be...finished...as a NA build next week...FI will wait for christmas...in the meantime...10.5:1, port, etc.

SPEC StageIII souldn't let me down (the pressure plate is SOOO beefy).

Forced induction is rape.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tycho's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tycho reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2002, 11:07 PM   #5
Abe95SC2

What have I done to the engine? JG intake manifold JG cams, JG street/strip head, Warm air intake, Accell coilpacks, Indexed plugs, Accell wires, 7lb Fidenza flywheel, Underdrive pulleys, 2000 shortblock, 1995 head and probably some other suff that I can't remember right now. Makes mad power, too bad I can't get it to the ground.

Abe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-16-2002, 11:14 PM   #6
Tycho
Tycho is on a distinguished road

Hmmm...I've got the plastic manifold...self ported head...

adding back cut valves, 10.5 comp, lightened and balanced crank, 14lb flywheel (maybe lighter if they can shave more off it ), beamed and peened rods (a tad lighter), ram air, 53mm tb, everything port matched, gutted pre cat, stock exhaust...

I won't be making as much as you...but I'll do some hard driving on the green spring PG and my StageIII and let you know how it goes...

The PG WILL get better with time...sorry SPS burned you on the clutch...

Forced induction is rape.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tycho's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tycho reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-17-2002, 12:50 AM   #7
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Abe, what time did you get?

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-17-2002, 03:35 AM   #8
Heartbeat - '95 SL2
Heartbeat - '95 SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Which clutch did Newt install on his monster? That'll s-u-c-k if he has the same problems after all the blood, sweat, n tears he put into the engine. Sorry to hear about the heartbreak. I'll tell you, sometimes it just seems so much easier to get a more conventional sports car. Ran into a hottie driving a Mustang 5.0 (or is it now 4.7, LOL). That sounded sooooo nice, and apparently all she did was mod the exhaust and replace the chip. Sounded like she had replaced the cams, but no.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Heartbeat - '95 SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Heartbeat - '95 SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-18-2002, 07:38 AM   #9
Abe95SC2

Looks like I gave up too easy, I was just really dissapointed in my times.

Yesterday Sandy and I took the car out for some testing. The Centerforce does NOT slip.......except for when I'm keeping my foot on the clutch pedal anticipating another shift . The phantom grip definitely does slip uinder massive power there is no question but, if I keep my power levels/RPM to a decent level before taking off spin is very minimal and the PG seems to do some good. Also I was advised that the Phantom Grip needs about 2,000 miles to break in right, my PG only had 1,000 miles at the time of the race.

Finally, I neeed to learn to relax and have fun driving at the track. While I was there I was the only compact really running other than a boosted civic running 13's and I was pretty intimidated esp. when I was lining up against pro streeters. My reaction times really blew b/c I was soo nervous that I was launching well after the green. The "best run" 16.78 had a reaction time of 1.15 seconds...that's bad compared to the .3's the others were running. Looking at the stats my car is very capable of running mid 15's I just have to be able to drive it right.

I'm heading back to the Mo-Kan Dragway the next time I get a chance and this time I'm coming back with timeslips in the 15's.

Abe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-18-2002, 11:18 AM   #10
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Well, I'm happy with my stock performace. Now, if I just keep the car running for a LONG time...

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!