SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
kcarter2515
kcarter2515 is on a distinguished road

Default Trade In Value

So my 2007 Saturn Aura XE is getting up there in miles...just crossed over to 76,000 miles. I've been looking at AWD cars for a little while now, just because I love the way my parents' Ford Flex drives in the snow. I went into my local chevy dealership to get an appraisal on my car, along with checking out prices for a new 2012 Chevy Equinox AWD.

First off, the Equinox is a really nice car. The test drive was nice. It was after the test drive when I found out how much they wanted to give me for my car that wasn't so nice.

$5,000.

I couldn't believe it! It felt like a slap in the face! My car is in PRISTINE condition. If any of you on this forum are like me, I wash my car once a week, wax between every season, have no dings or dents in the body, keep the cloth seats in perfect condition, and just keep my car clean all the time! I almost took it personally!

When I checked KBB for prices, they determined my car in excellent condition was $8,300. The dealership told me because I had "so many miles" on my car that I couldn't go with excellent condition, and I had to go with "Fair." Obviously I know how kbb.com works, and that's not how it works. So I thanked the salesman for the test drive and went on my way!

Anybody else try trading in your Aura? I thought my resale/trade in value would be higher because I have subs and tints on it. If I end up getting rid of my Aura, I'll be selling it myself!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kcarter2515's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kcarter2515 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kcarter2515 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
whiteshadow
whiteshadow is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Trade In Value

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarter2515 View Post
So my 2007 Saturn Aura XE is getting up there in miles...just crossed over to 76,000 miles. I've been looking at AWD cars for a little while now, just because I love the way my parents' Ford Flex drives in the snow. I went into my local chevy dealership to get an appraisal on my car, along with checking out prices for a new 2012 Chevy Equinox AWD.

First off, the Equinox is a really nice car. The test drive was nice. It was after the test drive when I found out how much they wanted to give me for my car that wasn't so nice.

$5,000.

I couldn't believe it! It felt like a slap in the face! My car is in PRISTINE condition. If any of you on this forum are like me, I wash my car once a week, wax between every season, have no dings or dents in the body, keep the cloth seats in perfect condition, and just keep my car clean all the time! I almost took it personally!

When I checked KBB for prices, they determined my car in excellent condition was $8,300. The dealership told me because I had "so many miles" on my car that I couldn't go with excellent condition, and I had to go with "Fair." Obviously I know how kbb.com works, and that's not how it works. So I thanked the salesman for the test drive and went on my way!

Anybody else try trading in your Aura? I thought my resale/trade in value would be higher because I have subs and tints on it. If I end up getting rid of my Aura, I'll be selling it myself!
its a base model 5 year old car, made by a company that went out of business 3 years ago. what did you expect? and a fancy stereo and tinted windows mead nothing to a dealer.

07 aura xr
98 explorer 5.0
93 miata, not stock
77 f150

im not nice

number of times ban.T

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to whiteshadow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help whiteshadow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
whiteshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

try a different dealer. used car prices are very high right now...they are low balling you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
golftango
golftango is on a distinguished road

Or sell it privately. It will fetch between $8-9K

2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/golftango
https://500px.com/golftango
https://www.instagram.com/golftango

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to golftango's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help golftango reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
golftango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #5
whiteshadow
whiteshadow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
try a different dealer. used car prices are very high right now...they are low balling you.
this, or sell privately. if an 07 xe gets 9k...i got an 07 xr for sale with 53k miles on it!

07 aura xr
98 explorer 5.0
93 miata, not stock
77 f150

im not nice

number of times ban.T

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to whiteshadow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help whiteshadow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
whiteshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:53 PM   #6
gregh2000
gregh2000 has a spectacular aura aboutgregh2000 has a spectacular aura about

2007 AURA XR

I traded my 07 XR with 85,000 miles on it and got 8800 towards my new Chevy Cruze. Mine had a decent door ding otherwise perfect with new tires and brakes and 1 previous accident. I would say try another dealer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gregh2000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gregh2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gregh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:23 AM   #7
aurafan2008
aurafan2008 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

It doesn't matter what kind of car you own. You can always get more by selling it yourself. But for eager car buyers that usually takes to long. I bet if you traded in your car and bought the Equinox and the dealer put your car on the lot for sale the next day. They would ask seven or eight thousand dollars for it and wouldn't take a penny less. But most dealers take trade ins and run them through auto auction for faster profit. A trade in is nothing but profit for a dealer.

Most people who have a car that is a couple of years old and owe for it are still upside down on it. Meaning the loan payoff is more than the car is worth.

I have seen the prices of new vehicles and even with 0% intrest with 72 months financing. I don't see how some people afford the monthly note. But when your driving seems like everybody has one.

I guess I will just have to ride the wheels of my Aura.

brc

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aurafan2008's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aurafan2008 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aurafan2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
journeyforce
journeyforce is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

First off most dealers don't really care what kind of audio set up you have as long as the radio and all its speakers work. Secondly tinting might actually lower the value of the car because depending state, it might be too dark to pass inspection and that adds an extra cost to remove it. Plus from a sales point of view, having a non tinted car appeals to more buyers. Those that want to tint their car have some type of tint in mind and an untinted car is a blank canvass verses buying a car with tint on it and having to remove all of it to retint it.

thirdly the car was a discontinued name plate in a discontinued division in Old GM. GM cars seem to take a resale value hit based on the perception by most that they still made shoddy products like they did in the 70's and 80's

The car is 5 years old and has over 70,000 miles on it. While not a big killer on its own (a 2005 Honda Civic EX with 90,000 miles on it has a book value of about $8800 to $9100) the fact that is an unloved car(from sales point(look at the 2008-20009 Malibu and you will see that people flocked to buy it and it was popular) in a company that is not known for quality cars in the last 30 years. There are more 1990's S- Series Saturns on the road still then Aura's

The fact nobody really wanted it and that it was made by GM doomed the values. That Honda Civic EX I mentioned was older by 2 years and had more miles(closer to 100,000 miles then your Aura) and yet still has a higher value then your car. Honda's sell and sell for high prices. Orphan redheaded step children like the Aura did not really sell when new and sell for low prices used.

I bought mine knowing I was going to drive it into the ground and then when it came time to get rid of it that i would get more as a donation then trade in value

Did you try carmax? They seem to give a better price then most dealers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to journeyforce's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help journeyforce reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
journeyforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #9
Saturninin
Saturninin will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarter2515 View Post

$5,000.

Where are you are you at?

I'm looking at maybe getting a Aura

Wanted: Dealer items (frames/ key-chains)

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2
160k+ 95 SL,98 SW2, 03 Vue-I4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturninin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturninin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturninin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #10
dthompso
dthompso is on a distinguished road

Small SUV's and crossover vehicles are hot right now so dealers can pretty much dictate trade in values. I was looking at an RX350 last year and they offered me $3000 for my '06 Vue (40K miles) and $5000 for my loaded '07 Aura XR (38K miles).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dthompso's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dthompso reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dthompso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #11
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

time to get a new dealer. they are still bidding your cars for what they are worth but telling you less so they overcharge and make a big hit on the new car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #12
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Ask for more. For my 07 Aura XE with 98k, I was offered

$5,500 (Ford dealer)
$6,000 (Chevy dealer)
$7,000 (another chevy dealer)

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #13
AnnieAura
AnnieAura is on a distinguished road

Question Re: Trade In Value

I recently traded my fully loaded (with every option) 2008 XE with 42k miles on it for $12,000...how did I do?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AnnieAura's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AnnieAura reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AnnieAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #14
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieAura View Post
I recently traded my fully loaded (with every option) 2008 XE with 42k miles on it for $12,000...how did I do?
You went to a dealer that is probably missing an employee now. I cant imagine that person still has a job. Or they really wanted to dump the vehicle you traded the Aura for. In that case, I'd be cautious about your new purchase.

I purchased my 2008 Aura XE V6 with less miles in November of 2009 for over $2000 less.

If they gave you $12,000, imagine how insane the price is to resell it on their lot. It will be there forever.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 Saturn SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #15
golftango
golftango is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieAura View Post
Because they added $2K-3 to the price of the car you purchased.

2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/golftango
https://500px.com/golftango
https://www.instagram.com/golftango

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to golftango's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help golftango reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
golftango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #16
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

exactly .... figure they show you wasnt acv it was trade allowance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #17
Firewalker
Firewalker is on a distinguished road

I traded my 2008 aura xr with 35k miles in at the Dealership. They gave me $11,500. It is what it is, the value of these cars are not going up, but then again, no car does. Either drive the wheels off of them, or sell them sooner than later is my advice. I enjoyed the car but I do like my Cadillac CTS better!

Thanks for all the help along the way on here, it has been a great forum!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Firewalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Firewalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Firewalker is offline   Reply With Quote