SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
nhlkent11
nhlkent11 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Default Very Frustrated With Wiper Blades

I am getting very tired of dealing with these wiper blades. OEM blades are the best but tend to leave small streaks even when new. I decided to try Rain-X Latitudes. 10X better quality as far as streaks go, got the windshield much cleaner each swipe. However, on the highway, all they do is skip and chatter, even after exchanging them! Next, I tried Bosch Icons. They were by far the best of the three but same problem on the highway.

Has anyone else experienced aftermarket blades skipping on the highway? What blades have you had the best results with?

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nhlkent11's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nhlkent11 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nhlkent11 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
Threxx
Threxx is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR
Default Re: Very Frustrated With Wiper Blades

If they skip on the highway they must be lifting from the air pushing them up. Maybe you could buy some sort of wiper with a built in air guard? I've heard the goodyear wipers sold by Costco are good but no idea about them skipping. I still have OEMs and they chatter a lot (they're old from the car sitting on the lot for a year) but they don't lift on the highway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Threxx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Threxx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Threxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:55 PM   #3
gregh2000
gregh2000 has a spectacular aura aboutgregh2000 has a spectacular aura about

2007 AURA XR

maybe they are wiping so well there isn't enough water for them to wipe away so they chatter? mine are still from when the car was new in 07. they need to be replaced so i am hoping to find some good reviews from the rest of you on replacements, lol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gregh2000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gregh2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gregh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:08 PM   #4
ttreibel
Advanced Member
ttreibel is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2002 SL1

I have had the best luck with the cheap walmart blades. I think they are Pylon or python brand?

Give them a try you will be pleased and cost less than 10 bucks for a set.

1995 SL1 oil burner school commuter looks nice...1997 SL1 Gold 5-speed with new junk yard wheels and tires just got 40.4 MPG....2002 SL1 sometimes 45 MPG on a spring highway drive

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ttreibel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ttreibel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ttreibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
rpp570
rpp570 is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE
Arrow Re: Very Frustrated With Wiper Blades

I'm not 100% sure on your 07, but my 09 has wiper arms/blades with a less popular adapter style, so it does limit your choices. (usually to more expensive but better performing ones)

Best value in blades I have found:

Wal-Mart sells Michelin blades that actually fit the Aura, have OEM look and work very well. Approx $13 each.

Most dealers don't stock OE blades since they list for over $20. Some carry aftermarket blades, but of course you'll still see markup greater than a retail store.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rpp570's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rpp570 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rpp570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:28 PM   #6
plato
plato is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
1996 SC2

use some rainx concentrate on your windshield, just apply it with a clean cloth. It will create a waxy film (nothing that will bother you) that will "lubricate" the windshield and will stop the chattering.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plato's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plato reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:06 AM   #7
Threxx

2009 AURA XR

I actually apply Zaino Z2 (synthetic wax) to my windshield every time I'm waxing the rest of the car. It definitely reduces chatter. In addition to that I use 303 on the wiper blades to renew them. I've seen my wife's 4runner go from annoying chattering to dead silent (better than most blades new) with the above combo.

http://www.303products.com/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Threxx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2010, 09:43 AM   #8
bc3tech
Master Member
bc3tech will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR
Information Re: Very Frustrated With Wiper Blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlkent11 View Post
I am getting very tired of dealing with these wiper blades. OEM blades are the best but tend to leave small streaks even when new. I decided to try Rain-X Latitudes. 10X better quality as far as streaks go, got the windshield much cleaner each swipe. However, on the highway, all they do is skip and chatter, even after exchanging them! Next, I tried Bosch Icons. They were by far the best of the three but same problem on the highway.

Has anyone else experienced aftermarket blades skipping on the highway? What blades have you had the best results with?

Thanks!
I'm currently running a pair of Goodyear Assurance from Costco... The attaching part of the blades are so much thicker than the OEM ones (so the arms would seemingly be pushing down a bit harder) i haven't had any problems and they are performing much better for me this winter than the OEMs ever did.

+rep always appreciated!

The Procharged Ion - http://kickassion.bc3tech.net
16.317s @ 85.30mph (Nearly stock)
188.28whp / 175.03wtq - SMP Stage 2 - 10psi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bc3tech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bc3tech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bc3tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:02 PM   #9
LuvMyAura
LuvMyAura is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Just stopped by the dealer today and picked up a set of oem? blades for my 2008 Aura XR. Price was $41.66....with sales tax here in calif $45.72.

Tried them with the windshield washer fluid and the streakiness I had with the originals is gone.....for now.

Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LuvMyAura's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LuvMyAura reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LuvMyAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:35 PM   #10
nhlkent11
nhlkent11 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Thanks to all for the suggestions! I think I'll go to Costco and try the ones mentioned (good thing I'm a member there!) And I might try the Rain-X stuff for the glass and see if that might help. Anyone know how often it needs to be re-applied?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nhlkent11's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nhlkent11 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nhlkent11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:54 PM   #11
plato
plato is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlkent11 View Post
Thanks to all for the suggestions! I think I'll go to Costco and try the ones mentioned (good thing I'm a member there!) And I might try the Rain-X stuff for the glass and see if that might help. Anyone know how often it needs to be re-applied?
I apply it every couple of months, you'll see when you need it as the rain does not bead up anymore on the windshield.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plato's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plato reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:43 AM   #12
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

First off, I use Rain-X treatment on all my vehicles. Have done this for many years and wouldn't think of not using it. It seems to help a lot with lessening the streaking issue and the water the wipers sweep away sheets up and flows off the windshield. I also do my mirrors and side windows with Rain-X which keeps them clear in all sorts of rainy conditions.
The Rain-X Latitudes along with the Rain-X treatment is the best solution I have found for the Aura, but I haven't tried the Michelin blades, because the Latitudes are working great in anything from lite rain to the deluge we got a couple of weeks ago. I am satisfied with the Rain-X solution.
Good luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phaeton Driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:43 AM   #13
Ray M
Ray M is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

I used Neoform 162415 $20.60 and Neoform 162115 $19.51
from Advance Auto parts, they are working fine for me. I have not noticed any skipping even at 80MPH.

2008 Saturn Aura XE
Techno Gray
3.5 V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ray M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ray M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ray M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #14
bleedscarlet
bleedscarlet is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

This is semi unrelated, but have you used Rain-X?

You would be surprised at how unbelievably well that works...I rarely use my wipers at all.

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.
http://www.avi-nation.com/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bleedscarlet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bleedscarlet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bleedscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:17 PM   #15
Threxx

2009 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedscarlet View Post
This is semi unrelated, but have you used Rain-X?

You would be surprised at how unbelievably well that works...I rarely use my wipers at all.
I get better results from applying a good quality synthetic wax to my windshield. By better I mean it sheds water equally well, but lasts longer and doesn't leave any haze like rain-x seems to be prone to doing if you don't do a really good job scrubbing off the excess.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-07-2010, 12:11 AM   #16
stbvue
stbvue is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

I tried lots of replacement blades. Anco, Trico, Walmart brands. The best i found is the AC Delco's They are 30 bucks for the pair but they last 2 years and they are quiet as a mouse.

I dont mind things that go bump in the night as long as they arent in my VUE!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stbvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stbvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stbvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:09 AM   #17
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

I am also using Trico Neoform. They aren't bad. The quality could be a bit better, but they do seem to last quite a long time. I have had two pairs of them within two years of having my Aura.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:07 AM   #18
billwill
billwill is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Try rubbing the blades with a cloth saturated with rubbing alcohol. Seriously.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #19
VWCarcrazy
Advanced Member
VWCarcrazy is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

billwill - Very valid comment. In the "old days" (and some of the better brands today - like the premium Bosch blades), new wiper blades came with a packet of alcohol wipes. Even new blade can come from the factory with small contaminates that can cause streaking, and the alcohol cleaned and "primed" the blades. When my wipers start to streak, I always try wiping them with a little rubbing alcohol on a rag 1st - before I replace them. I always get 2-3 years from a set of wiper blades. And I usually will pay the extra for a set of factory replacement blades. Best luck.

2008 Aura XE 2.4L
Ocean Mist/Titanium

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VWCarcrazy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VWCarcrazy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VWCarcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:13 PM   #20
08AuraXR
08AuraXR is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR
2002 SL2

It sounds like you could have one or two issues here. First the easy issue.

I also have this same problem, no matter how wet the windsheild is, it just appears that the oem wiper has too much friction randomly and it makes a terrible "windsheild wiper on dry windsheild" noise. If this is the case, everyone's suggestions on here are good ones. I might add go over your windsheild several times with a nice professional glass cleaner, and then razor blade the windshield, then clean again. Change to another blade, and use a Rain-X or something to that extent.

The other possibility is you might have a weak spring in the arm that forces the wiper arm to the windsheild. If this is weak the wiper will lift. So depending on how significant the lift and chatter you're getting you may want to take a look at that as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 08AuraXR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 08AuraXR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
08AuraXR is offline   Reply With Quote