SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
imahackster
imahackster is on a distinguished road

Default Transmission Jumps

As you begin to "coast" at say 45mph as you approach 40mph it feels as though someone steps on the brakes, until you reach about 37 mph or so. If during this "braking" period you begin to accelerate the Outlook jumps and you can hear/feel the transmission slam back into gear. I took it back to the dealer tonight on my way home from work and by 7:30 they called, said this is normal all the 07 Outlooks do this. They claim to have driven 2 others on the lot and they did it as well. All I can say is all Outlooks may do this, but it is not normal.

My wife loves her Saturn Ion, but if this is normal, it will be my last.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to imahackster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help imahackster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
imahackster is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2008, 12:31 PM   #2
Harald
Harald is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
Default Re: Transmission Jumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by imahackster View Post
they called, said this is normal all the 07 Outlooks do this.
Mine doesn't do this...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Harald's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Harald reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:48 PM   #3
QuinneyZoo1
QuinneyZoo1 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

I don't remember mine doing it either. I would have noticed that.

2007 Outlook XR AWD
Midnight Blue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to QuinneyZoo1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help QuinneyZoo1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
QuinneyZoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:55 PM   #4
khansen30
khansen30 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by imahackster View Post
As you begin to "coast" at say 45mph as you approach 40mph it feels as though someone steps on the brakes, until you reach about 37 mph or so. If during this "braking" period you begin to accelerate the Outlook jumps and you can hear/feel the transmission slam back into gear. I took it back to the dealer tonight on my way home from work and by 7:30 they called, said this is normal all the 07 Outlooks do this. They claim to have driven 2 others on the lot and they did it as well. All I can say is all Outlooks may do this, but it is not normal.

My wife loves her Saturn Ion, but if this is normal, it will be my last.
If I understand what you are describing I have noticed this. There have been other threads on this subject. Some of the problems were corrected with the flash update back in the summer.

The thing to remember is that your Outlook is a giant computer that has learned for the most part you driving habits. When you change from the norm, your Outlook doesn't always know how to respond and you have that "jump". I have talked to the dealership about this and they said it is not uncommon. I have noticed that when I do accelerate like stated above now, the transition is smoother as the Outlook has learned that I drive that way.

I hope that makes since, I would not be overly worried, unless after 3 or 4 thousand miles it is still doing it.

2009 GMC SLT2 Acadia (Mine)
Quicksilver - Titanium Leather
Everything

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to khansen30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help khansen30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
khansen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
VMMVMMM
VMMVMMM is on a distinguished road

This really isn't anything to be worried about. Basically what you are doing is fooling the car into upshifting, and then quickly forcing it to do a two step downshift when you step on the gas. There are many cars that behave exactly the same way as the Outlook, they just probably aren't a six speed auto and don't have to haul 5200 lbs of car around.

As was mentioned previously, much of this unexpected behavior disappears with time as the software "learns" your driving style. I wouldn't be worried about this at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VMMVMMM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VMMVMMM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VMMVMMM is offline   Reply With Quote