SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE
Default Thinking about replacing my AURA. Chevy Cruze?

Hey guys,

This is a rather depressing topic, but after four happy years and 90,000 comfortable miles (currently 98k,) I'm thinking about replacing my AURA. I've really loved the car, but now that the warranties have expired, and it nears 100k miles, I'm beginning to think about moving on. My AURA is still in great shape. Every single maintenance and repair record is available, and it looks practically brand new.

I've been looking for a replacement for some time, and it's been difficult to make a decision. After researching several cars, I'm heavily considering a 2012 Chevy Cruze. I've driven one, and it's a nice little car. It's smaller than the AURA, but with the driving I do, I think it's time to look for something that's more economical. The interior quality seriously surpasses that of the AURA, I'm just not quite sure if the exterior styling can keep up with the AURA.

Before my AURA, I had a 2004 Ion, which was a 5-spd manual. After driving an automatic for again for four years, I really would like to go back to a manual, which has considerably limited my selections.

It's going to be a difficult decision, so I'm still not sure.

So far, I've been offered $7000 for my 2007 AURA with 98k. Not fantastic, but a pretty decent trade.

Thoughts?

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2012, 12:16 AM   #2
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Thinking about replacing my AURA. Chevy Cruze?

On one hand you have a paid off car that's running well. On the other, you're interested in the car for things you want (nicer interior, manual trans). Agree on the exterior styling points, but then the interior is where you spend most of the time.

You might try waiting for good year-end incentives on the Cruze (probably in summer as the new model year hits lots), unless you'd be trying to trade before you roll over 100k.

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:43 AM   #3
gregh2000
gregh2000 has a spectacular aura aboutgregh2000 has a spectacular aura about

2007 AURA XR

I just traded my 07 XR for a 2012 Cruze LTZ. I love it, better mileage, but smaller. The Cruze doesn't have the pep the XR 3.6 did but the mileage is way better getting about 32-34 mixed highway/city driving with the automatic. Not too shabby! The Cruze has all the gadgets I wanted except HID headlights. It has the keyless start, nav, bluetooth, everything. I got about 8800 for my Aura and they had some loyalty credits for previous GM owners on top of it. My payments went up by about 20 bucks a month over the Aura but I easily save that in gas.

My Aura was starting to fall apart, it had 86k on it, warranties ending soon. Lots of stupid little problems got sick of taking it in all the time to get stuff fixed. My Aura had so many repairs it seemed like something was just waiting to break again. It was always stupid things like blower motor, wheel sensors, steering shaft thing, batteries, suspension parts/steering parts, seat track, electronics like the brakes getting stuck on all the time. Just drove me nuts, when you learn the trick is to wiggle the BCM connection to make the brake lights go off that is the time to get rid of it. I think the previous owner beat on it a little too much, lol.

Anyway the Cruze is great, smaller yes but I never have passengers so a commuter car is perfect.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gregh2000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gregh2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gregh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

i go back and forth about trading my 07 xr 69k miles. little over 5 years old so warranty also gone. been thinking cruze, buick regal or kia optima. cruze ltz very nice. regal a little nicer but costs more and the optima will probably run many miles with very few problems but kia s are very poor winter cars because of the tires they use so would have to buy new tires right away. just been thinking. dont know what ill do. i do really like the aura but little things have been happening to it too. i like the power of the 3.6 and everything now is all 4cyl.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #5
carlover
carlover is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Buick Verano is upscale cousin of the Cruze. When the 2.0L turbo version comes out that will one nice little car.

Drive like you mean it, keep the rubber side down.

Last edited by carlover; 02-08-2012 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: more info

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carlover's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carlover reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
journeyforce
journeyforce is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

I too was considering the Cruze or Focus. I like what the Cruze has in it and how the car drives. Sure the Cruze had a few issues affecting them last year but I expect all 1st year cars to have issues that will be corrected by the second year. I also considered the 2012 Focus because i had a 2005 Focus and it only needed regular oil changes, a set of new tires(the old ones lasted me 2 years) and the regular mileage based services. Nothing went wrong with the car. I had to get stupid and buy a bigger car because i thought I needed more room

The local Chevy dealer has Cruzes starting at $17000 (before taxes and all that other happy horse crap) That same dealer has a "used" 2012 Focus on the lot for $16923. The car has only 2080 miles on it and was from the local Ford dealer.(knowing that Ford dealer and it being the only one in town, I guess the person that bought the car originally discovered that that Ford Dealer was crap and bought a GM so he or she did not have to deal with them ) I checked that dealers listings and discovered the price on the same car would be $21,000+

But you are right about the Saturn, it is a good car but it has a lot of little annoying things go wrong on mine(the door locks in the rear stop working from time to time and it is hell trying to reach around to open the door) and a lot of places are afraid to work on it even though it is the same engine in the malibu

If you can get a Cruze for a nice amount then do it as the car is a nice car

Good luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to journeyforce's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help journeyforce reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
journeyforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #7
SC2BuzzBomb
SC2BuzzBomb is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

In general the Cruze will be a downgrade from the Aura. You may want to look into the Buick Regal GS with the 6-speed. That is the car you will want.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2BuzzBomb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2BuzzBomb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2BuzzBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:04 AM   #8
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2BuzzBomb View Post
In general the Cruze will be a downgrade from the Aura. You may want to look into the Buick Regal GS with the 6-speed. That is the car you will want.
The Cruze would have, for the most part, better materials than the Aura, and the 2LT (highest you can get with the manual) would still have more features than an Aura XE.

Since you mentioned it, a regular Regal 2.0T/6-speed manual would be more than suitable, no need to go up to the GS. But on that note, if GM follows through on a 2.0 turbo/manual for the Buick Verano, that could be a good match.

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:31 AM   #9
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

For the past week I've been driving a rental fully loaded 2012 Avenger which I have to admit I really like:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...1&d=1329114377

It's cold, rainy & grey here now so I grabbed that pic from the internet.

Point is that if you can find the car you are seeking at Enterprise or wherever it's a great way to really get the feel of a new car. Most cars are $20 bucks/day or less. Much better than a 15 min test drive at a dealership.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-Dodge-Avenger-RT-5.jpg (159.6 KB, 23 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #10
gpartrid
Advanced Member
gpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the rough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Joel,

Can you provide us with a little more info regarding your thoughts re; Chevy Cruze?

What trim line are you considering? What is your budget?

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!
Built: 07/19/07

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI
Built: 09/20/07

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gpartrid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gpartrid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gpartrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:30 AM   #11
bern
Advanced Member
bern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nice

2006 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

you may want to wait for the 2013 malibu with E assist or buick Regal . these are the about the same size body as the aura is. they have the four cylinder 2.4L with eletric motor assist similar to the 07-09 aura and malibu hybrids. the E assist is 115 volt system were the 07-09 's were only 36 volt system . also with the 6 speed auto trans I think these cars will have 6 cylinder prformance with 4 cylinder economy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bern's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bern reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #12
AuraDrvr89
Master Member

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlover View Post
Buick Verano is upscale cousin of the Cruze. When the 2.0L turbo version comes out that will one nice little car.
Yes, I really like the Verano. It would be my first choice, but it's not available with a manual transmission. I would like to go back to driving manual after the AURA.

-Joel

Then:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #13
AuraDrvr89
Master Member

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpartrid View Post
Joel,

Can you provide us with a little more info regarding your thoughts re; Chevy Cruze?

What trim line are you considering? What is your budget?
Yes. First, my budget is $23-25k.

I really would like an LTZ, but it is not available with a manual tranny. So I'd have to get a 2LT with the RS package, I'd also like a sunroof and maybe even a nav system.

I'm now also looking at a Mini Cooper Countryman, which would be another whole discussion.

The AURA is nearing 100k, I have no problem with the miles, but it will tank for resale value (has already tanked, really.) I've really had trouble finding something I'd like to replace it with.

-Joel

Then:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #14
gpartrid
Advanced Member
gpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the rough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraDrvr89 View Post
Yes. First, my budget is $23-25k.

I really would like an LTZ, but it is not available with a manual tranny. So I'd have to get a 2LT with the RS package, I'd also like a sunroof and maybe even a nav system.

I'm now also looking at a Mini Cooper Countryman, which would be another whole discussion.

The AURA is nearing 100k, I have no problem with the miles, but it will tank for resale value (has already tanked, really.) I've really had trouble finding something I'd like to replace it with.
Joel, do your budget figures INCLUDE trade-in value you're expecting for your AURA? Does the figure include TTL, doc. fees, etc?

The Cruze is a nice car, but, as others have mentioned, a step down from the AURA. Less space, not as good looking as the AURA (IMHO). You could possibly get into a Buick Regal with the 4 cyl. (don't remember if the 4 comes with a manual tranny). It ain't the Buick of old, I can assure you.

Presidents' Day and Memorial Day holidays are coming up. Might be a good time to wring every last penny out of your AURA. One of our area's mega dealers is offering 125% over KBB (up to 2k over trade-in). Don't let the "fever" get you.

If you don't mind, give us some more details re; budget and what your max total including TTL, doc. fees, you can spend, is.

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help gpartrid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #15
SC2BuzzBomb
SC2BuzzBomb is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
For the past week I've been driving a rental fully loaded 2012 Avenger which I have to admit I really like:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...1&d=1329114377

It's cold, rainy & grey here now so I grabbed that pic from the internet.

Point is that if you can find the car you are seeking at Enterprise or wherever it's a great way to really get the feel of a new car. Most cars are $20 bucks/day or less. Much better than a 15 min test drive at a dealership.
Avengers consistently rank among the lowest in vehicle quality rankings and have terrible residual values caused by the dumping into rental fleets.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2BuzzBomb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2BuzzBomb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2BuzzBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #16
journeyforce
journeyforce is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

The local dealership lent me a 2011 Regal while they had my LeSabre in for intake repairs. Even though they were not obligated to do so because the car has long been out of warranty, the dealership Win Kelly in Maryland loaned me it anyway(i was willing to pay the loaner fee since I had wanted to drive the Regal for a day or so anyway)

Here are some pics I took of the car while I had it.

This was the non turbo version but it was quick, in fact it seemed quicker then the 3.6l Aura i once test drove.

This car has full iPod integration (about time GM) and the USB connector is in the center console so it can be hidden without the need to disconnect it. For you non iPod/iPone folks there is also an aux port for other devices(you will not be able to control the device from the car like the iPod but at least it can still be played in the car) Plus the ports are not on the radio allowing them to be replaced if there is an issue (and not have to replace the radio too) and keeps a whole crap load of wires out of your face.

The Regal with be GM's 3rd time trying to sell a re-badged Opel (the Astra and the Catera(aka craptera) were the other two) in the USA and I think it is a winner. It it is nothing like that bloated upscale Centry that they slapped the name Regal on from 97-04.

If you have the budget for the Regal then i suggest you at least test drive one

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to journeyforce's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help journeyforce reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
journeyforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #17
gpartrid
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Joel, I agree with the above comment. If you can fit it into your budges, the Redal would be a nice and logical step up.

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-03-2012, 11:36 PM   #18
AuraDrvr89
Master Member

2007 AURA XE

I agree that the Regal is a very nice car, and I really love it. My problem has been trying to locate a used Regal with a manual transmission. As mentioned above, I really want to drive manual again, so my options are limited. Manual Regals are hard to come by used.

I've adjusted my thinking a bit, and now I think I'm going to try and upgrade to a used 2009-2010 BMW 328i.. I think that it would be a nice "step up" from the AURA. Although I like the Regal, after driving a 328i, I like it much more. Honestly, I can have a 09-10 328 for a similar price to a 11 Regal CXL Turbo.

I've driven the Cruze, and it is a nice car, but it's not "me," and I'm not prepared to buy new and take a hit on all of the depreciation.

-Joel

Then:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-04-2012, 02:08 AM   #19
golftango
golftango will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraDrvr89 View Post
I agree that the Regal is a very nice car, and I really love it. My problem has been trying to locate a used Regal with a manual transmission. As mentioned above, I really want to drive manual again, so my options are limited. Manual Regals are hard to come by used.
Say what? I'd drive to see these over a 3 series.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/golftango
https://500px.com/golftango
https://www.instagram.com/golftango

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to golftango's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help golftango reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
golftango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #20
gpartrid
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftango View Post
Either that or get it shipped to a dealer near you if you've decided the Regal is the way to go. Could be a good deal if it's "Certified Pre-Owned".

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!