SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2011, 06:12 AM   #1
aurafan2008
aurafan2008 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
Default Is changing brake pads difficult?

I was thinking about changing brake pads this weekend. If not this weekend, sometime soon. My Aura is just shy of 60,000 miles and I am pretty sure it still has the factory pads. I've only put around 10,000 miles on it since I bought about a year and a half ago, but everybody at my house has been driving it. I rotated the tires a couple of months after I bought it and the brakes looked ok but not great then.

I have always changed the brakes on all the vehicles I've owned. But I wanted to check with you Aura fans before I began the project. Just wanted to know if there would be any specialty tools needed. Or if there was anything out of the ordinary I would run into. I have never changed brakes on a car with traction and stability control. So, I didn't know if that would be a factor.

By the way under everday driving conditions (not too much stop and go) how many miles should you expect to get on a set of factory pad?

Thanks,

brc

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aurafan2008's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aurafan2008 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aurafan2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2011, 06:48 AM   #2
Firewalker
Firewalker is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Is changing brake pads difficult?

No, changing the brake pads is a very straight forward job with no surprises. I just changed the front pads at 30,000 and they definitely needed done. I have done a lot of brake jobs this summer, on my Lexus, my expedition and the saturn, I think the Aura was the easiest. No special tools needed. I think it took me 40 minutes taking my time.

I could never imagine paying someone to do a brake job other than on my f150 which has rear drum brakes. I have never attempted a drum brake change, with all those springs I am certain I would have parts left over.

Good Luck, you won't need it, it is a very easy job!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Firewalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Firewalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Firewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
aurafan2008

2008 AURA XE

Thanks for the reply. I took the front and back wheels of this morning and I was shocked. The brakes were wore to nothing. I am surprised my rotors were spared. After typing this I will be tending to the Aura. I just hope the parts guy gave me the right pads. I can't believe I didn't catch this sooner. But I haven't been driving the Aura much. Other family members have been hogging my seat time.

I changed the drums on my Nissan Four Wheel Drive. It is tedious. What I did is jacked the back end up and took both rear tires of and pulled both drums off. I worked on one drum while looking at the other as a diagram. It was the only way I could do it.

Thanks again for the reply. And thank goodness I am fortunate enough to have a shop b/c that cold wind is howling down hear.

brc

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help aurafan2008 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #4
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

I suggest you either have the rotors turned or replace them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
Firewalker

Aura fan brings up a good point, when I changed mine, they were totally gone as well, without any squealing as a warning. I felt fortunate to have decided to change them when I did, before any rotor damage was done. My advice, check your front brake pad wear at least every 30k.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Firewalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
Midnight13
Midnight13 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL
2005 VUE 3.5L

Could never understand why rotors are still turned on cars of today. The rotors aren't as thick and heavy as they used to be as say on my 70 Camaro.

Why put new pads on old rotors? with the wear and possible gouges in the rotors, the new pads won't seat right.

Just replace the rotors new, they're not all that expensive..30-40 a piece??

"Not for human consumption!" - Peas in the Pod

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Peas-in-a-Pod/160649663950771

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Midnight13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Midnight13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Midnight13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #7
aurafan2008

2008 AURA XE

Well I finished the brake job earlier today. Once I got the pads off they were not as bad as I thought. But they were due to be changed. The previous owner must have at some point changed them.

I was doing great "rocking" and "rolling" with the brakes. Front pads no problem. Thought the back would be even easier. But then the full "ignorance" of me came out. I pressed the front calibers in using c clamps. Thought that is what you were supposed to do to the back. I tried everthing to push the caliber in so it would fit over the new brakes. Then I realized they screw down. Other than that pretty simple. But I have only drove it down the road and back. My luck the wheels will fall off tomorrow .

brc

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-04-2011, 08:56 PM   #8
whiteshadow
whiteshadow is on a distinguished road

rear brakes were done when i bought the car, about 10k miles ago. fronts are due now. i dont know what pad i will go with. i am a late braker so im hard on brakes.

07 aura xr
98 explorer 5.0
93 miata, not stock
77 f150

im not nice

number of times ban.T

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to whiteshadow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help whiteshadow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
whiteshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #9
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Not too bad. I finally did my brakes by myself, with the assistance of my Dad. It wasn't too bad... Saved lots of cash.

Make sure you get the tool to crank the pistons back in. AutoZone rents them for free.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #10
Firewalker

I just use a large C Clamp, cheap, easy, done.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-11-2011, 11:28 PM   #11
Aura Fan
Aura Fan is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewalker View Post

Agree... works well. I did my GF's Aura a week or so ago and replaced front rotors. Had one that I thought would never come off.... a little WD and a larger hammer finally worked it off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Aura Fan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Aura Fan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Aura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:22 PM   #12
whiteshadow
whiteshadow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura Fan View Post
Agree... works well. I did my GF's Aura a week or so ago and replaced front rotors. Had one that I thought would never come off.... a little WD and a larger hammer finally worked it off.
the BFH fixes a lot of problems!

07 aura xr
98 explorer 5.0
93 miata, not stock
77 f150

im not nice

number of times ban.T

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to whiteshadow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help whiteshadow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
whiteshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:38 PM   #13
BKbroiler
BKbroiler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewalker View Post
The C clamp won't work on the rear calipers. Due to to parking brake function, the calipers have to be screwed back in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BKbroiler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BKbroiler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BKbroiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:07 PM   #14
Firewalker

I didn't realize that! Thanks for the info!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!