SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2008, 03:12 PM   #21
logbite
logbite is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
Default Re: Opinions wanted: Considering a Saturn Outlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrealvue View Post
I called my friend who bought an Outlook a few months back and asked how the fuel economy is with his Outlook. With about 12,000 mi on his he has been getting 13.44 mpg on a consistant basis. I know his driving style and he does not have a heavy foot nor alot of cargo or passengers. I think his experience is enough to detract me from this gas guzzler.
His math is faulty, or something is really wrong with the engine. I am getting more than 30mpg on the highway, and over 20 in town! This is using the DIC or the old manual method. I love the mileage! It's the best vehicle I've ever owned - don't hesitate!

Outlook XR FWD, charcoal, black leather,
premium seating,
premium plus seating
Dual sunroof,towing package,
cold weather package

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to logbite's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help logbite reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
logbite is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2008, 04:36 PM   #22
VMMVMMM
VMMVMMM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I called my friend who bought an Outlook a few months back and asked how the fuel economy is with his Outlook. With about 12,000 mi on his he has been getting 13.44 mpg on a consistant basis. I know his driving style and he does not have a heavy foot nor alot of cargo or passengers. I think his experience is enough to detract me from this gas guzzler.
Well then it looks like you are the only two people on earth getting mileage this poor on an Outlook.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VMMVMMM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VMMVMMM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VMMVMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:43 PM   #23
paulstefano
paulstefano is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XE

I got an 08 Outlook XE AWD. Added Preferred, and the DVD overhead player (which makes you add Tri-Zone Automatic Air and enhanced audio). Then I added cloth 2nd row captain's chairs (new for 08)

That's it. I had to special order to get that combination of features, but it was worth the wait. I really like the leather wheel and steering controls.

I feel like I have a stepped up model, but didn't break the bank.

One caveat. I REALLY wish I had gotten the convenience package for the backup sensors. I find looking out the rear window nearly impossible to park. It's so bad, that I backed into the wall at the dealer as I was taking delivery. I smashed the back bumper to the tune of $1000 of damage, and I hadn't even driven 1 mile! I haven't told that story since it's so embarrasing, but it underscores the need for the backup sensors. I have since added my own, aftermarket and they have been a lifesaver!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paulstefano's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paulstefano reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
paulstefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:03 PM   #24
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Steeler, just curious, what did you think of the Tribeca? I actually kinda like them now that they don't have the hideous looking nose!

Does the Outlook offer a head up display? I saw an Acadia ad where they showed that feature! Looks pretty cool!

Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:19 AM   #25
SteelerXR
SteelerXR will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XR
2008 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post
Steeler, just curious, what did you think of the Tribeca? I actually kinda like them now that they don't have the hideous looking nose!

Does the Outlook offer a head up display? I saw an Acadia ad where they showed that feature! Looks pretty cool!
Well, the Tribeca's quality is pretty much iron-clad. In all the time, I have had a small plastic trim on a rear seat replaced. The steering and suspension is really smooth but the transmission is rough and unrefined. The engine (now with marginally increased HP) is underpowered for acceleration but cruises nicely. The interior space is OK but the third row seat is basically good as a jump seat for limited travel - even for my 8 year old. It's a good car, though - but the Symmetrical AWD is overrated - so are the Goodyear LS2s.

So far, I've had a close look a the Acadia, Enclave and Outlook. The Acadia is out - the interior plastic trim is horrible (the HUD is neat, though). So, it's between the Enclave and the Outlook (although my wife thinks the Outlook looks better).

Question: How is the quality of the stock tires? My Aura's aren't that great.

Another question: Is the rear view camera any good?

69Mini 70VWKombi 71Datsun1600 72Beetle 76AlfasudSprint 86VWGolfII 93VWJettaIII 91NissanSentra 94VWGolfIII 95VWPoloPlaya 99OpelAstra 01VWBeetle 03VWGolfIVTDi 06VWPassat2.0T 06SubaruTribeca

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SteelerXR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SteelerXR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SteelerXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:34 PM   #26
HockeyMom
HockeyMom is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by logbite View Post
His math is faulty, or something is really wrong with the engine. I am getting more than 30mpg on the highway, and over 20 in town! This is using the DIC or the old manual method. I love the mileage! It's the best vehicle I've ever owned - don't hesitate!
I've read that the Canadian gallon is about 20% larger than the US gallon. Maybe that's why your mileage is so great? Or are you taking that into your calculation? Or are you not in Canada? I don't get mileage anywhere near as good as yours.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HockeyMom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HockeyMom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HockeyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:25 PM   #27
logbite
logbite is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom View Post
I've read that the Canadian gallon is about 20% larger than the US gallon. Maybe that's why your mileage is so great? Or are you taking that into your calculation? Or are you not in Canada? I don't get mileage anywhere near as good as yours.
Yup - Canuck, through and through! You are probably right, but, in the long run, a difference in mpg will not alter my opinion of the Outlook - it is one fine car!!

Outlook XR FWD, charcoal, black leather,
premium seating,
premium plus seating
Dual sunroof,towing package,
cold weather package

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to logbite's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help logbite reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
logbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:28 PM   #28
SaturnVUE04
SaturnVUE04 is on a distinguished road

Have you thought about an XC90? My mom's got an 05 2.5T XC90 AWD with 55,000 miles and no issues at all and it's on CR's "worst reliability list." Gets about 20mpg city 25 highway. Stay away from the T6 though, those had a GM tranny and had problems. For 08 now they went away with the 2.5T and T6 and reaplaced it with a naturally aspirated 3.2L and 6 speed. I don't know how much you're looking to spend, but you could get a used one for a decent price.
Honda Pilot? Acura MDX?
Just throwing out some ideas. I do love the Outlook though. Don't worry, i'm not a saturn-hater.
-Joe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnVUE04's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnVUE04 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnVUE04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:42 AM   #29
Harald
Harald is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom View Post
Canada hasn't had gallons since I was a kid, oh, 30-odd years ago. We use litres / 100km for fuel economy up here; a lower number is better.

I routinely see 14-15 l/100km in city driving, and I've had it down below 10 in long distance highway driving. Converting, that would be 16MPG city and 23-25MPG highway. Still not the *30* quoted elsewhere, but not insanely bad either...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Harald's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Harald reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:45 AM   #30
HockeyMom
HockeyMom is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by logbite View Post
Yup - Canuck, through and through! You are probably right, but, in the long run, a difference in mpg will not alter my opinion of the Outlook - it is one fine car!!
I feel the same way. It gets about the same mileage as my Equinox did for so much more car!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HockeyMom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HockeyMom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HockeyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:28 PM   #31
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
....Saturn should add the leather steering wheel as a standard feature (like Hyundai did with the Santa Fe) or replace it with something decent.
Maybe in Canada the Santa Fe's wheel is leather wrapped, but that of the loaner '07 we had once wasn't.

Quote:
I agree, the base steering wheel is like something you would find on a base model econo car. GM builds a great looking vehicle that drives better than most SUV's out there and then....that wheel?
A lot of crossovers out there have cheapish base steering wheels, I've found.

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:49 PM   #32
Telove
Telove is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATURNSTPAUL View Post
I dont understand. I have heard no such ratings that low from any of my customers. I took one for a week during Christmas (AWD XE) I had a combined 22mpg and I have a heavy foot. And a friend of mine has an AWD XR and has 4 kids and a cargo carier, and during a 3500 mile trip, he also reported about 20-22mpg.

My husband has a heavy foot and when he drives, we get about 16.5mpg and that's a mix of the city and interstate driving. When I drive, I can almost hit 18mpg. We have two small kids and the only "cargo" we carry is a double stroller I haven't tested the mileage on a full blown interstate drive yet, but plan to soon

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Telove's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Telove reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Telove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:36 PM   #33
SteelerXR

2008 AURA XR
2008 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telove View Post
My husband has a heavy foot and when he drives, we get about 16.5mpg and that's a mix of the city and interstate driving. When I drive, I can almost hit 18mpg. We have two small kids and the only "cargo" we carry is a double stroller I haven't tested the mileage on a full blown interstate drive yet, but plan to soon
OK, back on track. I'm not really concerned about MPG. I'll restate my questions:

So far, I've had a close look a the Acadia, Enclave and Outlook. The Acadia is out - the interior plastic trim is horrible (the HUD is neat, though). So, it's between the Enclave and the Outlook (although my wife thinks the Outlook looks better).

Question: How is the quality of the stock tires? My Aura's aren't that great.

Another question: Is the rear view camera any good?

69Mini 70VWKombi 71Datsun1600 72Beetle 76AlfasudSprint 86VWGolfII 93VWJettaIII 91NissanSentra 94VWGolfIII 95VWPoloPlaya 99OpelAstra 01VWBeetle 03VWGolfIVTDi 06VWPassat2.0T 06SubaruTribeca

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SteelerXR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-10-2008, 02:34 PM   #34
QuinneyZoo1
QuinneyZoo1 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

I have had my 2007 Outlook for 1 year & 4 days and have almost 20,000 miles on it. I have not had any problems with my tires what so ever.

I do not have the backup camera's so I can't help you there. But the backup sensors do help alot though! I listen to them whenever they beep.

2007 Outlook XR AWD
Midnight Blue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to QuinneyZoo1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help QuinneyZoo1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
QuinneyZoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:21 PM   #35
SteelerXR

2008 AURA XR
2008 Outlook XR

Yeah, my wife had a Nissan Quest with the rear sensor feature - very useful. still, I wonder what difference a rear-view camera makes?

Another question: how is the estimated resale value on an Outlook? Should I own or should I lease?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-10-2008, 08:30 PM   #36
scottginfla
scottginfla is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR

as far as resale goes, you can not find a used one around here, and on the rare ocasion that you do, they are darn near as much as a new one, people love their outlook, and aren't getting rid of them. my opinion is they will hold their value better than the competition.if you have a payment always budgeted then lease would be good, that way you pretty much stay in a new one, if you don't trade or sell all the time then purchase would be better.

2008 outlook xr, silver pearl and black leather, build date 08/07

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scottginfla's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scottginfla reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scottginfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:46 PM   #37
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member
ThePlainsman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnVUE04 View Post
Have you thought about an XC90? My mom's got an 05 2.5T XC90 AWD with 55,000 miles and no issues at all and it's on CR's "worst reliability list." Gets about 20mpg city 25 highway. Stay away from the T6 though, those had a GM tranny and had problems. For 08 now they went away with the 2.5T and T6 and reaplaced it with a naturally aspirated 3.2L and 6 speed. I don't know how much you're looking to spend, but you could get a used one for a decent price.
Honda Pilot? Acura MDX?
Just throwing out some ideas. I do love the Outlook though. Don't worry, i'm not a saturn-hater.
-Joe
Honda Pilot and Acura MDX have 3rd row seats that are a joke. No luggage/grocery room behind the 3rd row either. Neither vehicle can touch the Outlook, my friend.

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2008 Acura RDX-Tech, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2002 Nissan Altiima V6, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ThePlainsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ThePlainsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ThePlainsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:27 PM   #38
SteelerXR

2008 AURA XR
2008 Outlook XR

OK. Final wrap-up. I got the Outlook XR AWD. Cream white/Tan Leather, HIDs, 18" chrome rims, touring package, towing package (which I negotiated for free) fully loaded everything... don't worry, I'll start a new thread once I take delivery).

At the end of the day, I negotiated $2K off the price with incentives and trade-in (even with Saturn, there's wiggle room). I got the best trade-in deal for my Tribeca.

The Enclave was a contender but, at the end of the day, there really is not a significant difference between the cars - all the electronics you can touch are identical. Anyhow, the missus liked the 'rugged SUV' Outlook style vs. the 'euro-ness' of the Enclave - no mean feat considering we normally like the euro look..

Here endeth the lesson. Thanks forum.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-17-2008, 01:55 PM   #39
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

The 2009 version of Lambdas are getting DI in the 3.6. In the Traverse, the 3.6L will make an estimated 281 hp with single exhaust and 286 with duals. I'd expect the Buick, GMC and Saturn versions should all be the same.

FWIW, the Lambdas are somewhat heavy for the class with an average weight of 4600 pounds, but the way they drive belies that fact. Still, 13 MPG doesn't seem right, even if it's 100% city or excessive stop-and-go driving.

SteelerXR, congrats on your new Outlook.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:54 AM   #40
VMMVMMM
VMMVMMM is on a distinguished road

Great choice. It's funny, I actually chose the Outlook because I thought its looks were more European than the Buick. All the drippy chrome and luxo styling just turned me off - too American for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VMMVMMM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VMMVMMM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VMMVMMM is offline   Reply With Quote