SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2007, 10:01 PM   #1
samh61
samh61 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
Sad Manual liftgate switch issue

I am compiling a list of a few items to address on my first oil service. This just started, depressing the button intially won't open the liftgate without repeated tries. Kinda sounds like something is loose, broken. Sometimes opening the drivers door causes the liftgate to become "ajar". Anyone else experienced this?

2007 Outlook XR FWD
Charcoal Grey Metallic
Premium Black Leather Heated Seats
Dual Sunroof/Moonroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to samh61's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help samh61 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
samh61 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2007, 10:46 PM   #2
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member
ThePlainsman is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Manual liftgate switch issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by samh61 View Post
I am compiling a list of a few items to address on my first oil service. This just started, depressing the button intially won't open the liftgate without repeated tries. Kinda sounds like something is loose, broken. Sometimes opening the drivers door causes the liftgate to become "ajar". Anyone else experienced this?

It's hit or miss. Some have; most haven't. I've had no problems with the liftgate. Today, I put the 2nd and 3rd rows down flat and loaded a twin size bed into my Outlook and transported it to a storage space. The liftgate went up and down and locked securely.

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2008 Acura RDX-Tech, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2002 Nissan Altiima V6, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ThePlainsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ThePlainsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ThePlainsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:07 AM   #3
MrBiz
MrBiz is on a distinguished road

I use the power lift gate often and I've not experienced any problems. There is a TSB that relates to the lift gate.

Biz

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD
2004 Saturn ION 2
1996 Saturn SL 2
1992 Saturn SL 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MrBiz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MrBiz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MrBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:12 AM   #4
BrightOutlook
BrightOutlook is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by samh61 View Post
Re: Manual liftgate switch issue
...depressing the button intially won't open the liftgate without repeated tries. Kinda sounds like something is loose, broken. Sometimes opening the drivers door causes the liftgate to become "ajar."
Do you really have a Manual liftgate on your XR that has leather heated seats and the sunroof/moonroof?

If you have "broken" sounds, probably something is significantly wrong.
Unless your oil change comes very soon, I'd be inclined to suggest you get it taken care of soon. You don't want to create long-term problems in something that might be an expensive repair if you have to repeat it after the warranty runs out.

I like the Power liftgate, but I haven't completely figured out how long to hold down the remote button to get it to open or close (till the lights flash once works). The button on the dash works 100%, and the button on the lower edge of the gate works 100% (to lower it)) and the switch in the outside liftgate handle works 100% to raise it (if all doors are unlocked).

2007 Outlook XR FWD
Ocean Mist / Grey Int
Enhanced Convenience Pkg / HID

Over 5,000 miles already! Awesome ride. Love it!

Gorgeous! Gutsy! Glorious!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BrightOutlook's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BrightOutlook reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BrightOutlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:56 AM   #5
kyad12
kyad12 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

I had to get a new liftgate switch installed. I was unable to open the liftgate from the outside handle. Also the button on the bottom edge of the liftgate did not work. The dealer replaced the switch inside the door and everything works fine now. Took them a couple hours to complete the work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kyad12's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kyad12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kyad12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:18 PM   #6
samh61

2007 Outlook XR

Yes BrightOutlook it is manual. I will be taking it in very soon as it's getting pretty annoying.

2007 Outlook XR FWD
Charcoal Grey Metallic
Dual Sunroof/Moonroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help samh61 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-04-2007, 07:45 PM   #7
KenSatrun
KenSatrun is on a distinguished road

For you power liftgaters, remember if the dash switch is depressed to "off", then the power will be disabled. The key fob needs about a 1.5 second press. Too quick, and it won't open (avoids accidentally opening the liftgate when you're fumbling with keys in your pockets). Too long, and it registers a double hit and will reverse direction.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KenSatrun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KenSatrun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KenSatrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 10:18 PM   #8
testpilot58d
testpilot58d is on a distinguished road

Ken...lol..thank you so much. You just saved me a service call.

(dash switch)

Wife: "What dash switch?"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to testpilot58d's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help testpilot58d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
testpilot58d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 01:06 PM   #9
manning
manning is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightOutlook View Post
I like the Power liftgate, but I haven't completely figured out how long to hold down the remote button to get it to open or close (till the lights flash once works). The button on the dash works 100%, and the button on the lower edge of the gate works 100% (to lower it)) and the switch in the outside liftgate handle works 100% to raise it (if all doors are unlocked).
Same here, it works like a charm when I hit the wired switches, but I have to press and press and press to get it to work with the remote. I guess I will attempt holding the button for a couple of seconds instead of just pressing it quickly like the door remote.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to manning's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help manning reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 04:49 PM   #10
myblubu
myblubu is on a distinguished road

I have the power liftgate - only issue I've had is that one day, the liftgate wouldn't close. I would press the button, it would close and once closed it would open again. After several repeated attempts and making sure that there was nothing blocking it from closing, it just seemed to correct itself and closed. Anyone else experience this?

"Pearl" - '07 Outlook XR FWD, Convenience, Adv. Audio, DVD, Prem. Trim, Enhanced Convenience, Touring, Trailering, Dual Skyscapes, XM, 2nd Row Captains Chairs, White Diamond Paint, Black Leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to myblubu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help myblubu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
myblubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 08:49 PM   #11
testpilot58d
testpilot58d is on a distinguished road

yeah..same thing here...on 2 different occasions. Lift gate would be closing and just about to latch...start walking around to front of car and it would open again. 2 tries or so later it closed...acted fine for a cpl weeks then did it another time...strange anomoly..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to testpilot58d's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help testpilot58d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
testpilot58d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:08 PM   #12
samh61

2007 Outlook XR

Dealer replaced my switch per TSB, no issues since.

2007 Outlook XR FWD
Charcoal Grey Metallic
Dual Sunroof/Moonroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-18-2007, 07:49 PM   #13
Harald
Harald is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by myblubu View Post
I have the power liftgate - only issue I've had is that one day, the liftgate wouldn't close. I would press the button, it would close and once closed it would open again. After several repeated attempts and making sure that there was nothing blocking it from closing, it just seemed to correct itself and closed. Anyone else experience this?
I had this once. I turned off the auto liftgate with the front panel switch and closed the liftgate by hand. After that everything was normal, and it hasn't happened again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Harald's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Harald reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:18 PM   #14
myblubu
myblubu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myblubu View Post
Okay. Just had my Outlook in for this issue and others (dash storage compartment door sticking, noise coming from the center console vent, etc.). Service dept told me that they replaced the remotes with an upgraded version per a TSB. Everything was fixed fine (but took 3 total trips due to special oder parts needed to be ordered.

"Pearl" - '07 Outlook XR FWD, Convenience, Adv. Audio, DVD, Prem. Trim, Enhanced Convenience, Touring, Trailering, Dual Skyscapes, XM, 2nd Row Captains Chairs, White Diamond Paint, Black Leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to myblubu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help myblubu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
myblubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:25 AM   #15
Federico
Federico is on a distinguished road

We are part of a car pool for middle schoolers. When I pick them up I always open the liftgate from the dash. Many times they put their school stuff in the back and boom, slam the liftgate shut manually.

Question: Can you still operate the liftgate manually with no harm even if the dash board switch is not turned to the OFF position?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Federico's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Federico reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Federico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:55 AM   #16
QuinneyZoo1
QuinneyZoo1 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

I have had the issue of my liftgate re-opening after I close it. Mine occured during the summer. There is a TSB out in reference to it as related to the heat. Since it was during the summer the liftgate got exceptionally hot and it caused the it not to close all the way. It normally only happens a couple times and then it will close. During the summer I try to park so my liftgate is facing away from the sun.

2007 Outlook XR AWD
Midnight Blue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to QuinneyZoo1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help QuinneyZoo1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
QuinneyZoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:32 PM   #17
outlook33
outlook33 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

The only trouble I had with the tailgate was in the first week or so after I had the vehicle. I was dropping off some boxes at a recycle facility and the Outlook was parked crossways on a slight slope. The tailgate would get about a 1/4 of the way down and go back up. It did it twice, then I just closed it manually. I close the back more manually now than auto. It does not hurt it to close manually but I would be careful letting a teenager grab hold of it and slamming it down. When opening I believe you always have to use the key fob or switch inside.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to outlook33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help outlook33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
outlook33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:46 PM   #18
djhhjd
djhhjd is on a distinguished road

2009 Outlook XR
2005 VUE 3.5L

Mine works as it should, power lift gates are awsome!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djhhjd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djhhjd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djhhjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:09 AM   #19
Harald
Harald is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federico View Post
Question: Can you still operate the liftgate manually with no harm even if the dash board switch is not turned to the OFF position?
Well, we do it all the time with no problems. I can't remember off-hand what the manual says, though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Harald's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Harald reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote