SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
bungeral
bungeral is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
Question 2004 Vue loose feeling front end

I purchased a 2004 Vue, 4-cyl, 5-speed. I replaced the front struts and the rear shocks. This improved the ride quality but the front end still feel loose. Going over small bumps causes a rattle in the steering wheel/column and driving on any rough surface/washboard road causes a lot of rattling up front.

The steering itself feels very tight in that there is no sloppiness in the movement.

Air pressure in the tires is where it should be. I also had a 4-wheel alignment done when the shocks and struts were installed.

I just wondered if anyone else has experienced anything similar and if anyone knows anything that I might do to eliminate the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bungeral's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bungeral reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bungeral is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #2
satlite440
satlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud of

2001 SL2
Default Re: 2004 Vue loose feeling front end

jack up the ft end& put on jackstands..grasp the tire in the 12 and 6 oclock position and rock it,there should be no movement..then grasp the 9&3 oclock position with the key out and steering colume locked and wiggle and watch for loosenes.. note there will be some play due to the steering gear moveing back and forth against the colum lock...so i would recoment puting the 1 side on the ground and lifting the other and doing the 3&9 wiggle test this will elimanate the noramal amount of free play mostly....

report back

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
ls3ftw
ls3ftw is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

it was the steering gear in the actual electric steering motor in the column in mine... disconnect the I-shaft from the end of the electric motor and jiggle the wheel, if you hear noise there's slop between the plastic & metal gears in the steering motor assembly.

got one from a junkyard for $50, quite possibly the only silent vue in the world?

Rear control arm bushings, struts, strut mounts, endlinks and swaybar bushings were also replaced but produced different noises.... the clanging from the steering column was the hardest to find.

-2006 Saturn VUE V6 AWD...built by GM, powered by Honda.
-2008 Corvette MN6...poor man's Porsche.
Knowledgable enough to know intelligence comes with humility.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ls3ftw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ls3ftw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ls3ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
tkuwaha
tkuwaha will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungeral View Post
I purchased a 2004 Vue, 4-cyl, 5-speed. I replaced the front struts and the rear shocks. This improved the ride quality but the front end still feel loose. Going over small bumps causes a rattle in the steering wheel/column and driving on any rough surface/washboard road causes a lot of rattling up front.

The steering itself feels very tight in that there is no sloppiness in the movement.

Air pressure in the tires is where it should be. I also had a 4-wheel alignment done when the shocks and struts were installed.

I just wondered if anyone else has experienced anything similar and if anyone knows anything that I might do to eliminate the problem.
I experienced the exact same thing when I replaced the front upper strut mounts with some aftermarket replacements which were made out of some reinforced plastic (factory ones are steel).
They were okay at first, but I started to notice looseness in steering after about 10k miles or so. It got progressively worse and felt almost too dangerous to drive. It was especially bad while turning over a bumpy road as I could feel the front end step out since tires lost contact to the road.
After 15k miles, I decided to take the front suspension apart and found the plastic mounts had deformed. I'm sure they were deflecting under load. I replaced them with some factory mounts and all is well again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tkuwaha's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tkuwaha reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tkuwaha is offline   Reply With Quote