SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2009, 11:37 AM   #1
OZARKJAY
OZARKJAY is on a distinguished road

Default Aura satisfaction ?

Just curious what the older folks think about their AURA overall?
I purchased my 08 XE new last March after looking at the Chev Malibu that would have cost several 1,000 more even with my emp. discount.
I'm impressed with the overall fit, finish, and style of the Aura. Looks way more expensive than the $18,100 plus tax I paid for it with a few options included. "after Incentives etc" The car handles and drives very well and the 3.5 v6 has enough power to make for a fun ride.
Only two things that I find annoying, one is the car is not real easy to enter and exit for us old folks, #2 is the orange illumination of the gauges and radio dial which is almost impossible to read on sunny days.
What say you, seniors? And young-uns too!

08 AURA XE V6
PEWTER BRONZE
GOIN 4 THE GUSTO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OZARKJAY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OZARKJAY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OZARKJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2009, 01:21 PM   #2
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Aura satisfaction ?

the malibu is a lower priced version of the same car. ive heard people say its hard to get in but ive never had a problem with mine. im 57. the orange lights are easy to read but i think sometimes the outside lights stay on way to long so they are very dimmed. ive actually manualy turned off my lights at times so the dash would light up more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

I'm not a big fan of orange or red illumination in any car.
I think people will like the Aura a lot as long as there isn't reliability issues.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:42 PM   #4
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Glad to hear you like it! I am very satisfied with my '07 Aura. Every day is an enjoyable experience in it.

I don't find it hard to get in and out of (granted I'm 19 ) except for the TRIANGLE OF DEATH that you will somtimes it with your rump, depending on how far back the seat is.

I noticed the orange can be rough if the sun is shining a certain way, but my windows are tinted, and I tend to like it... It's classy looking IMO.

Enjoy the journey.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
lococrzy
lococrzy is on a distinguished road

Oh Brother, the Triangle of death!!! when i let my mom drive my car (HUGE MISTAKE!!!!!!!{Make-up stans on my visor and leather stearing wheel and a cracked plastick door sill}) she used to always get it right in the rump!!! lol hahahaha might have been the car getting her back for treating it not so nicely lol.

any who im 19 also (well 20 today !!!!) and i dont find it to hard to get out of if you in the front, the back seat is a different story lol.

im cool with the Orange lighting i think its shanzy although i would prefer a blue though .......

and i like my peppy car its a car you cant help but grow to love

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lococrzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lococrzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lococrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:18 PM   #6
billwill
billwill is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

I'm very satisfied and happy with my '07 Aura XR. I've driven it on two 2,500 mile round-trips and it performed like a dream. Great mileage (30-31mpg) at average speed of 68-70 and not a single problem. It's extremely comfortable even on extended drives; mine usually were until I had 1/8 tank of gas. I had a Honda Accord before this Aura; the Honda would kill my back on just a one-hour trip. I can drive my Aura all day long without a single pain. GM got THIS one right! Hope they keep the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #7
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lococrzy View Post
Oh Brother, the Triangle of death!!! when i let my mom drive my car (HUGE MISTAKE!!!!!!!{Make-up stans on my visor and leather stearing wheel and a cracked plastick door sill}) she used to always get it right in the rump!!! lol hahahaha might have been the car getting her back for treating it not so nicely lol.

any who im 19 also (well 20 today !!!!) and i dont find it to hard to get out of if you in the front, the back seat is a different story lol.

im cool with the Orange lighting i think its shanzy although i would prefer a blue though .......

and i like my peppy car its a car you cant help but grow to love
Yeah.. Definitely not letting my Mom drive my car again. The day I bought it, I let her drive it home from the grocery store... She got in, adjusted everything... And yanked on the wiper stalk to put it in gear! Then gunned it out of the parking lot.

"This thing is peppy Joel!"

Yeah.. Much different from your Park Avenue Mom, huh?

Anyway, I happen to love the orange lights.. Especially the ambient lighting.. Very "romantic." I get lots of compliments on that.

Happy birthday!

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #8
svenster
svenster is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

I used to make fun of my older neighbor when he said his car was hard to get in and out of. It was a Taurus. Now that I'm 46 I'm finding all cars are hard to get in and out of! I think its an age thing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to svenster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help svenster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
svenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:14 PM   #9
bue05
Advanced Member
bue05 will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XE

Hey Gang, Great Thread/post/topic! I share many of all your sentiments about the Saturn Aura! I purchased our 2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5 v6 on 09-29-07 it had maybe 3 to 5 miles on it. Wow its a beauty!! It is pretty loaded and my favorite color Midnight Blue or Deep Blue. I love its great lines, sporty fast paced exterior looks, styling, and details. The ambient lighting that many have mentioned is among a few of my favorite things about the car. It is romantic, warm, cozy, and almost luxurious like. I love the fact that you can not only see the window and door lock controls throughout, but the door handles are lighted as well. Its the little and big things that makes this car beautiful, fun, comfortable, and well enjoyed and loved by many of us. I think this car is a beast of power waiting for someone to step on it!! Its there if you push the pedal! I love the the interior the most!! the seats are amazingly comfortable, supportive and sporty like, i love the 8 way power seat, my wife deals with the setting if she drives the car, because she knows how long it takes me to get it back to perfect!!!.. My only dissapointment so far is the location of the rearview mirror adjustment switch, if you lean forward to toggle the control, set the mirrors, then sit back normally and there not right. I get lots of compliments about the cars appearance and styling, and it is fun to drive and it makes me proud to own it. This is not to say that there have been a few things lately that needs a GM goodwrench mechanic to adjust but there little bumps in the road to a happy and enjoyable ownership. GOOD JOB GM./Saturn! bue05

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bue05's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bue05 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bue05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:16 PM   #10
LotusLord
LotusLord is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
2006 VUE 3.5L

My father in law is a bigger guy and is in his late 40s. He's not a fan of getting into cars (he primarily drives a 04 Taurus) and he HATED the Aura when he test drove it because the roof was too low for him.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LotusLord's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LotusLord reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LotusLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:51 PM   #11
prof
prof is on a distinguished road

I guess I qualify as an old person- so here goes. I have a 2007 Aura XR bought new, and I find it to be a very comfortable car and easy to get in and out of. I have never been affected by the 'triangle of death'- so that is a non issue for me. The ride is smooth, quiet, and peppy (to use an old person's phrase) While I tend not to drive a car hard, I do like the power when I need it. Overall, I am quite satisfied with the car, and the Saturn service (routine to be sure) is excellent. If I were in the market to buy, I would buy it again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to prof's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help prof reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
prof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:27 AM   #12
VWCarcrazy
Advanced Member
VWCarcrazy is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

I have no trouble getting in and out (although I would prefer a 'real' tilt steering wheel like GM used to provide - like the one in the Impala). And having driven the Malibu's from our company fleet quite a few miles, during the daytime and nighttime hours - I much prefer the 'orange' dash and courtesy lighting of the Aura over the 'green-blue' of the Malibu. Also, I find the Malibu interior to not be as stylish as the Aura. Two other differences with the Malibu. I prefer the design of the front bumper on the Aura - the Malibu lower bumper is easy to damage on curbs. However, I do like the charcoal and dark brown/cashmere cloth interior material available on the Malibu over the too light and hard to keep clean light grey and tan of the Aura. All in all, both are great cars. The Aura is a better choice in my opinion overall.

2008 Aura XE 2.4L
Ocean Mist/Titanium

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VWCarcrazy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VWCarcrazy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VWCarcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:36 AM   #13
lococrzy
lococrzy is on a distinguished road

Gracias on the Birthday wishes Joel .

ANd yea momma doesnt touch my car, she needs to keep her make up filled hands on her Civic Hybrid.....

BTW the i think she was always being shanked by the triangle of death because she was always hating on the fact that my car is a saturn !!!!

pshhh

that shows her !!!

LOL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lococrzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lococrzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lococrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:29 AM   #14
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusLord View Post
My father in law is a bigger guy and is in his late 40s. He's not a fan of getting into cars (he primarily drives a 04 Taurus) and he HATED the Aura when he test drove it because the roof was too low for him.
He should try the new Taurus.
I'm a big guy in my early 40s with back problems, the Aura seemed easy enough to get in and out of.
Nissan trucks and Jeeps are the worst

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:21 PM   #15
XR524
XR524 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
the malibu is a lower priced version of the same car. ive heard people say its hard to get in but ive never had a problem with mine. im 57. the orange lights are easy to read but i think sometimes the outside lights stay on way to long so they are very dimmed. ive actually manualy turned off my lights at times so the dash would light up more.
thats one of the things that bugs me about my aura. it'll be 3pm in the afternoon, sun shining bright, and the autolights come on, which makes all the interior dash lights barely visible. so im constantly turning auto lights off, almost every day, to make dash lights brighter. i know its not a battery problem either, because mines brand new and the best you can get for an aura.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XR524's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XR524 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XR524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:29 PM   #16
XR524

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraDrvr89 View Post
Glad to hear you like it! I am very satisfied with my '07 Aura. Every day is an enjoyable experience in it.

I don't find it hard to get in and out of (granted I'm 19 ) except for the TRIANGLE OF DEATH that you will somtimes it with your rump, depending on how far back the seat is.

I noticed the orange can be rough if the sun is shining a certain way, but my windows are tinted, and I tend to like it... It's classy looking IMO.

Enjoy the journey.
what is the triangle of death?

im 24, 6'2'' 215, I have my driver seat all the way back w/ seat reclined at an average angle, and i never hit my butt on anything, and i also never have a problem getting in and out of the car. oh and i have plenty of headroom/legroom too

for people under 40 or 45 that complain about getting into and out of ANY car, you need to exercise. youre way out of shape. get up off your lazy butts and do something. getting into a car is NOT difficult no matter what car it is. i can understand for older folks.... but ive never gotten into or out of a car and been like "man that was tough" if you think it is, then YOU are the ones im talking about! BTW I was lucky enough to develop full fledged arthritis in my lower back at such a young age, which is painful everyday, and still doesnt bother me getting into and out of cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help XR524 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2009, 02:57 PM   #17
gpartrid
Advanced Member
gpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the rough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

I purchased my 2008 XR new late last August. I haven't had any problems with it. Man, this is the smoothest riding and accelerating car I've ever owned. My mpg's really suck (approx. 16+) then again, I'm only driving 10-15 miles / day local roads with occasional beltway driving (I must have the worst gas mileage of any Aura owner ;-) I don't find it difficult go get in and out of but I do make sure to duck my head a little more than usual when getting in. The roof height is a bit low for me (I'm 5'11", 200 lbs.) with the sunroof. I love everythink about this car. Every bell and whistle I got on 'er...Yeah...I'd buy THIS Aura XR again in a heartbeat!

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!
Built: 07/19/07

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI
Built: 09/20/07

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gpartrid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gpartrid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gpartrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:03 PM   #18
XR524

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpartrid View Post
I purchased my 2008 XR new late last August. I haven't had any problems with it. Man, this is the smoothest riding and accelerating car I've ever owned. My mpg's really suck (approx. 16+) then again, I'm only driving 10-15 miles / day local roads with occasional beltway driving (I must have the worst gas mileage of any Aura owner ;-) I don't find it difficult go get in and out of but I do make sure to duck my head a little more than usual when getting in. The roof height is a bit low for me (I'm 5'11", 200 lbs.) with the sunroof. I love everythink about this car. Every bell and whistle I got on 'er...Yeah...I'd buy THIS Aura XR again in a heartbeat!
Drop a K&N Air Filter under your hood to replace the stock one($40 on ebay). It'll improve throttle response and MPG a little bit. I had really bad mpg like you before I put one under my hood but now I get crazy good mpg. I went from averaging 17 before to 23 now, and I get as much as 35mpg in perfect conditions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #19
gpartrid
Advanced Member
gpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the rough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR524 View Post
Drop a K&N Air Filter under your hood to replace the stock one($40 on ebay). It'll improve throttle response and MPG a little bit. I had really bad mpg like you before I put one under my hood but now I get crazy good mpg. I went from averaging 17 before to 23 now, and I get as much as 35mpg in perfect conditions.
I've had my Aura for 4 1/2 months and only have 2000 miles on it so I figure it's not broken in yet but I may give the filter a try. Throttle response is excellent and I'm not a lead-foot.

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!
Built: 07/19/07

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI
Built: 09/20/07

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gpartrid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gpartrid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gpartrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:51 PM   #20
XR524

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpartrid View Post
I've had my Aura for 4 1/2 months and only have 2000 miles on it so I figure it's not broken in yet but I may give the filter a try. Throttle response is excellent and I'm not a lead-foot.
It doesnt make the gas pedal "more sensitive", it just feels like the car accelerates smoother in general with a K&N filter installed. It allows for much better airflow to the engine. But thats just a small gain when you compare stock filter mpg to K&N filter MPG. It made a world of difference in my Aura. Average city MPG now is 24 up from 18, avg highway is around 33 up from 29. Thats good compared to numbers Ive seen posted from other Aura drivers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!