SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2008, 10:36 PM   #1
BPc
BPc is on a distinguished road

Dazed Sway bar link again

I found an old thread but can't reply it.

Just got my 2005 ION 1 45,000KM service and semi-annul inspection. Service report said the left front sway bar link is starting to have play in the socket and clunk. Estimated replacing both front sway bar links. Quote for 300$ parts and 165$ labour. I didn't hear any clunk nor feel anything. The warranty expired just 4 month ago.

My questions:
1. How serious is this?
2. I checked some sites, the prices range from 19 to 50$, is my dealer asking too much?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BPc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BPc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BPc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2008, 11:16 PM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Sway bar link again

get the parts and do the work yourself, it's worth the money. It's not a deadly situation, but will affect your handleing, making emergency maneuvers dangerous, since this is a real problem with these cars, and if you have the money, go ahead and do it.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:36 AM   #3
kbg1
kbg1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPc View Post
I found an old thread but can't reply it.

Just got my 2005 ION 1 45,000KM service and semi-annul inspection. Service report said the left front sway bar link is starting to have play in the socket and clunk. Estimated replacing both front sway bar links. Quote for 300$ parts and 165$ labour. I didn't hear any clunk nor feel anything. The warranty expired just 4 month ago.

My questions:
1. How serious is this?
2. I checked some sites, the prices range from 19 to 50$, is my dealer asking too much?
hi
our 2005 ion with 73000kms just had the following replaced:
two swaybar endlinks.
two lower control arm bushings.
swaybar bushing kit.
the car sounded like the front end was falling off over even small bumps.
cost was:
$39 ea can for the endlinks aftermarket
$9 ea can for the control arm bushings aftermarket
$14.95 can for swaybar bushing kit(rubbers) saturn

2.75 hrs labor at $45 to install so total was:
$234 canadian
at a little shop down the road that i trust.

i had also bought a set of aftermarket cheap chinese rotors and pads for $86 can and was charged an extra hour for the install of those.

saturn wanted $101 for each endlink.
$27 for each bushing.

they quoted me(not including brakes)$656+tax for the complete job.

this is the fourth time in 4 yrs that the front suspension has had the same parts replaced.
the previous three times were under warranty.
we live on a smooth blacktop and this is my wife's car and she drives like an old lady.

those prices are canadian.

regards,jeff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kbg1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kbg1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kbg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:46 PM   #4
jhildebrand528
jhildebrand528 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan

I'm just wondering where you got those after market parts from. I'm having trouble sourcing parts besides going to the dealer. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhildebrand528's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhildebrand528 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhildebrand528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:07 PM   #5
kbg1
kbg1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2003 ION-2 Sedan

hi
i will see if the guy will tell me.
he did have the control arm bushings down as rear bushings for a cobalt on my bill.
also the endlinks were available at canadian tire but were listed as a sway bar kit.
i had asked canadiantire for pricing on the rubber sway bar bushings and he indicated a sway bar kit, two pieces and were listed as links.(hence i figured it was the swaybar links)cost was $89 for the kit,so i figured it was not the rubber bushings.

hope this helps

also napa had listings for endlink kit(special order)but no control arm bushings.sway bar endlink kit is what is on the bill.

hope this helps
jeff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kbg1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kbg1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kbg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:24 PM   #6
BPc

Thanks you guys.

I will try to get the parts and have someone install it. I don't think my dealer will give me a reasonable price. The dealer charged me 99.99 CAD$ for semi annual inspection and 149.95 CAD$ for fuel injection service and than added another 20.51CAD$ as shop supplies . I am in Calgary, Alberta.

I also noticed this morning the idle speed jump above 1500 RPM; service manager said this is normal after the fuel injection system service,say it will back normal in days. I will see.

I will keep you post.

Shan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BPc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BPc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-24-2008, 09:49 PM   #7
firestomper25
firestomper25 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

i got an oil change at firestone. and they said to me that it was in real need of attention.. they called it sway bar link kit and for each was 109... i called advance auto parts and found them for 39 each.... but not sure how to go about it i dont knwo how to change it or what tools i need but am still willing to try if anyone knows... please pm me on here please....i really just want to get this out of the way....so what else would i need.... and could i do it by myself

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to firestomper25's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help firestomper25 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
firestomper25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:39 PM   #8
kaviation
kaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestomper25 View Post
i got an oil change at firestone. and they said to me that it was in real need of attention.. they called it sway bar link kit and for each was 109... i called advance auto parts and found them for 39 each.... but not sure how to go about it i dont knwo how to change it or what tools i need but am still willing to try if anyone knows... please pm me on here please....i really just want to get this out of the way....so what else would i need.... and could i do it by myself

You can do it yourself, but it can be a muther. Make sure you have a good half inch impact gun with an impact swivel, (forgot what size) We had to feed the gun through the engine bay, then through the front wheel well to get the angle for the gun to fit on good. Then, on the stock links, there is no provision to hold the other end from spinning, you can try vice grips, or big channel locks, but we ended up cutting the whole link in half AND using vice grips. It took about 45 min's. just to get the old one off. The new one I ordered from Saturn (60 bucks) did have flats on it to put a wrench on it.

Good luck.

2003 Ion QC- Sold August of 2015
2016 Toyota RAV4 LE AWD
2004 Ion Redline
Meth Injection, WOT Box, Stage 2, Fidanza aluminum Flywheel, Spec clutch Stage 2+

I ENJOY WHAT I DO- I DO WHAT I ENJOY

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kaviation's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kaviation reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kaviation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:39 PM   #9
saturn god
saturn god is on a distinguished road

it take about 10 min...what u do is cut the link in half and push it hard and it will come off all 4 joints, then u can move the sway bar down and u dont need a swivle, use vise grips on the joint and an 18 mil socket and take both sides off...now that the sway bar is in a lower spot u can put the lower nuts on first the move the sway bar up and do the top nuts...its way eaiser.

I KNOW EVERY THING ABOUT SATURNS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn god's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn god reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:30 PM   #10
BPc

Got the car back from dealership. They reprogrammed the ECM and relearned the crank shaft variation position. Idel speed is normal now. Also asked about the price to replace sway bar link, the service manager still say 465. I will shoping around.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BPc's Reputation
Old 10-28-2008, 09:34 PM   #11
BPc

Forgot to mention, the error code for higher idle is 103E1; didn't find what this mean.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BPc's Reputation
Old 10-28-2008, 10:30 PM   #12
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

what year/ engine, and I don't understand what you mean by crank shaft variation position, if your crank was off, you have serious engine trouble

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-29-2008, 01:02 PM   #13
BPc

The Car is 2005 model bought brand new in 2005 and, has 45,000KM on it.

The service statment said that "crank shaft variation position" thing. I don't know what it mean. The service manager said when they do fuel injection system service, it is 1% chance this kind of thing happened. Right now the engin will stay on 1100RPM for 3-5 seconds before it drop to 700 when I stop in a red light. And always stay on 1100RPM when I switch to neutral in driving. Before this it always drop to 700RPM immediately. I usually get 7L/100KMs before, I will see how the milage change.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BPc's Reputation
Old 10-29-2008, 02:11 PM   #14
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

the way it is now is correct, it's so you can put it into gear smoother.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!