SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2008, 04:39 PM   #1
kaviation
kaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Sway bar link

I just got my car inspected and I knew something was making noise in my front suspension. I figured it was the sway bar bushings as is usually the problem, I found out it was my left front sway bar link. I haven't read about these going bad too much, but I figured my bushings would need replaced before either link. Oh well, I got a new one from Saturn for about 50 bucks.

Just an FYI, when removing the O.E. ones, there are no flats on them to aid in removal of the nuts, they will just spin, even with a heavy pair of vice grips on them.

We ended up cutting the link in half and using it as a lever to put pressure on the nut so we could spin the nuts off without spinning the whole assy.

The top one took a little finesse, we had to fish the air line through the engine bay, down to the wheel well, then hook up the impact gun with an extension and a swivel.

By the way, the new ones had a lock nut to aid in installation.

2003 Ion QC- Sold August of 2015
2016 Toyota RAV4 LE AWD
2004 Ion Redline
Meth Injection, WOT Box, Stage 2, Fidanza aluminum Flywheel, Spec clutch Stage 2+

I ENJOY WHAT I DO- I DO WHAT I ENJOY

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kaviation's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kaviation reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kaviation is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2008, 04:59 PM   #2
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE
Default Re: Sway bar link

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviation View Post
I just got my car inspected and I knew something was making noise in my front suspension. I figured it was the sway bar bushings as is usually the problem, I found out it was my left front sway bar link. I haven't read about these going bad too much, but I figured my bushings would need replaced before either link. Oh well, I got a new one from Saturn for about 50 bucks.

Just an FYI, when removing the O.E. ones, there are no flats on them to aid in removal of the nuts, they will just spin, even with a heavy pair of vice grips on them.

We ended up cutting the link in half and using it as a lever to put pressure on the nut so we could spin the nuts off without spinning the whole assy.

The top one took a little finesse, we had to fish the air line through the engine bay, down to the wheel well, then hook up the impact gun with an extension and a swivel.

By the way, the new ones had a lock nut to aid in installation.
Saturn told me my Links were causing the clunk originally.. WRONG, it was the bushings.

Did the links anyway, both to the tune of ~$80 at CarQuest.

They were kind of a pain in the Arse to get off... We ended up cutting them too..

The bushings ended up being more of a pain though.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:54 PM   #3
kaviation
kaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Well, that fixed my clunking, I could see (and feel) the play in it myself. Plus, the local dealers had the sway bar bushings on back order.

2016 Toyota RAV4 LE AWD
2004 Ion Redline
Meth Injection, WOT Box, Stage 2, Fidanza aluminum Flywheel, Spec clutch Stage 2+

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kaviation reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-25-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
froggy81500
froggy81500 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan

I thought, if I'm not mistaken, the back side of the ball stud had a hex on it. Like there's the nut on the end of the ball stud where it bolts to the sway bar, and behind the hole in the sway bar I thought it was a hex head to fit a wrench on. Suprised if it doesn't and that the end of the stud doesn't have flat spots to put a wrench on.

speaking of the front sway bar, does anyone know what the diameter of the stock sway bar is? My bushings are squeaking and I was considering finding some universal poly bushings to fit in there. I heard it was 18 or 19MM but I don't know.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to froggy81500's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help froggy81500 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
froggy81500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:18 PM   #5
kaviation

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy81500 View Post
I thought, if I'm not mistaken, the back side of the ball stud had a hex on it. Like there's the nut on the end of the ball stud where it bolts to the sway bar, and behind the hole in the sway bar I thought it was a hex head to fit a wrench on. Suprised if it doesn't and that the end of the stud doesn't have flat spots to put a wrench on.

speaking of the front sway bar, does anyone know what the diameter of the stock sway bar is? My bushings are squeaking and I was considering finding some universal poly bushings to fit in there. I heard it was 18 or 19MM but I don't know.
When I compared the new ones to the old ones, I didn't see a hex nut on the old one (there was one on the new one though). Although, he could have boogered the old ones up so much I couldnt' tell if there even was a hex on there, but I don't think there was.

2016 Toyota RAV4 LE AWD
2004 Ion Redline

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-21-2008, 01:31 AM   #6
JeffMGrant
JeffMGrant is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Sedan
1997 SL1

Quote:
doesn't have flat spots to put a wrench on.
My 03 Ion has flat sides to put a wrench on them to get the nut on and off. I had to tighten the nut but the bushings were okay on mine last time I check them at 48k miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JeffMGrant's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JeffMGrant reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JeffMGrant is offline   Reply With Quote