SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2006, 02:50 PM   #1
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Default Finally! Some wheel time with the Aura!

After putting it off for what seemed like an eternity, I went to test drive both the XE and XR trims of Aura. My impressions:

XE. My base level tester was in Techno Grey and had cloth interior and the five spoke wheels that are similar to the G6. It also had the brushed aluminum trim. The XE was roomy in the front and back. I had no problem finding a good driving position, but then again, I'm on the short side, at 5' 8" or so. I noticed the door-pull issues that most people are having. I don't know whether to call it cheap or flimsy, but it puts a slight damper on what is otherwise a top notch interior, though it's not a deal breaker. The 3.5L feels strong at launch and there's not the kind of exhaust growl that is normally associated with Chevy and Pontiac. I'll chalk it up to insulation. All in all, the XE is a good value that can go toe to toe with V6 versions of the Hyundai Sonata and Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan.

XR. I haven't seen a black interior in a white car since the days when GM ruled the automotive universe. The Aura did it tastefully. Simply stated, this is going to be the car that brings GM back from the brink. Where do I begin? I guess I'll start with the 3.6L v6 that delivered the goods. The plood broke up the black interior with leather seats and looked better in person than pictures. Or the XM Radio which is a bargain at $200 when Honda wants nearly three times as much from Accord owners. For me, the verdict is still out on the four-panel panoramic roof, but it lends a feeling of openness to the cabin. I'd probably opt for the traditional sunroof, though. The 3.6L in the XR moves the Aura with authority and the handling, though no BMW, is respectable for the class of vehicle. Glory be to StabiliTrak. Once again I had no trouble finding a comfortable seating position and adjustable foot pedals were a welcome addition.

Bottom line, the Aura, especially in XR guise, is CamCord worthy. Give it a fighting chance.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2006, 03:21 PM   #2
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Re: Finally! Some wheel time with the Aura!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR898SL2
The 3.6L in the XR moves the Aura with authority and the handling, though no BMW, is respectable for the class of vehicle. Glory be to StabiliTrak.
Leave the BMW fighting to Cadillac...

The 3.6L is quite a piece of work. I'm surprised that the Cadillac CTS doesn't have this engine standard. They have a 2.8L 210hp engine standard. Average selling price around $27,800 for the base model.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 04:17 PM   #3
mkaresh
Advanced Member
mkaresh is on a distinguished road

You'll have to look long and hard to find a CTS with the 2.8. The great majority have the 3.6. They do this to advertise a low base price, and to parallel Audi, BMW, and Mercedes.

truedelta.com -- need more Saturns!
More useful reliability information -- first info on Aura and Outlook
Price comparisons, quick and thorough

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mkaresh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mkaresh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mkaresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 07:43 PM   #4
AgmLauncher
AgmLauncher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Bottom line, the Aura, especially in XR guise, is CamCord worthy. Give it a fighting chance.
Aura has the chance to be THE GOLD STANDARD midsize sedan in its price class if GM is patient with it and they continue to improve it year after year. Sincerely listening to customer feedback (such as improving the interior arm rests and door handles and things) will allow the car to become a perfectly refined machine and give GM some valuable R&D points.

I think they have the performance, styling, and features down pat. What they need to make triple sure of is reliability. If the Aura gets a reputation as a car that will burn up in 3 years, people will lose interest. That's something GM simply cannot afford. GM also needs more aggressive marketing tbh. I haven't seen a SINGLE television ad for the Aura up here in New Hampshire. Granted GM has to budget its advertising dollars nation-wide, but there's no excuse for not bringing the car to more people's attention.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AgmLauncher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AgmLauncher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AgmLauncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:45 PM   #5
comcardi
comcardi is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgmLauncher
GM also needs more aggressive marketing tbh. I haven't seen a SINGLE television ad for the Aura up here in New Hampshire. Granted GM has to budget its advertising dollars nation-wide, but there's no excuse for not bringing the car to more people's attention.
From what I've read, the Aura technically isn't available until the Fall which is still about 2 weeks away. Saturn is suppose to do a marketing blitz to promote the Aura once the fall hits. My guess is there is limited or no advertising at the moment because Saturn wants to fill retailer lots with a decent amount of Auras before the customers start pouring in responding to advertising. I don't think it would be a good PR move to advertise a vehicle that you can only find 2 or three on the lot like they currently are.

Saturn, the GM offspring that has finally been included in the will!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to comcardi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help comcardi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
comcardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 02:07 AM   #6
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by comcardi
From what I've read, the Aura technically isn't available until the Fall which is still about 2 weeks away. Saturn is suppose to do a marketing blitz to promote the Aura once the fall hits. My guess is there is limited or no advertising at the moment because Saturn wants to fill retailer lots with a decent amount of Auras before the customers start pouring in responding to advertising. I don't think it would be a good PR move to advertise a vehicle that you can only find 2 or three on the lot like they currently are.
You mean kinda like they did with the Sky/Solstice? Yeah, you still are lucky to see more than one on a lot! But, I think your theory is probably correct. When my sales guy called me Friday and said he had 3 Skys and 4 Auras on the lot, I thought to myself "Auras? They aren't even out yet, I thought?"... explains that eh?

I agree with the sentiment about reliability. The competition is pretty fierce in this market. I know most HonYota CamCord buyers want their cars to perform like their refrigerator -- silently and reliably for 10 years or better. But now GM has the 10 year, 100k warranty, so that should help assuage fears of the car crumbling in 37 months.

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 08:34 PM   #7
gmhashope
gmhashope is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Sedan

GM really needs to stop showing the same few Chevy commercials and show some more Saturn ones in the Chicagoland area.

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than liked for who I'm not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gmhashope's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gmhashope reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gmhashope is offline   Reply With Quote