SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2017, 01:59 PM   #1
roberto92
roberto92 is on a distinguished road

Default 97 SL2 brake line replacement

Hello all, the rear right brake line on my car burst right under the driver side door. For some strange reason, the line looks good except for about a 3' stretch that is absolutely rusted to heck.

Thoughts on just replacing the line from the master cylinder to the closest stretch of good condition line vs. replacing the whole thing?

Also, I'm having a hard time finding a definitive answer on the fitting size into the MC, is it not the 3/8 24 thread?

thank you all!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to roberto92's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help roberto92 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
roberto92 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2017, 02:19 PM   #2
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2
Default Re: 97 SL2 brake line replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberto92 View Post
Hello all, the rear right brake line on my car burst right under the driver side door. For some strange reason, the line looks good except for about a 3' stretch that is absolutely rusted to heck.

Thoughts on just replacing the line from the master cylinder to the closest stretch of good condition line vs. replacing the whole thing?

Also, I'm having a hard time finding a definitive answer on the fitting size into the MC, is it not the 3/8 24 thread?

thank you all!
my brake line burst over the rear cross member like many others did & a garage just spliced in a good line in that area. you could probably do the same thing, just splice in a good section to replace the rusted area.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:05 PM   #3
Waiex191
Advanced Member
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Hi,
Welcome to the forum. I documented my brake line replacement on page 7 of my thread:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...=230898&page=7

The flare nuts are metric, not SAE. You could either replace it all or make a splice, but you will need a bubble flare for the rubber hose connection.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:10 PM   #4
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Where are you located. I assume this is a rust belt thing.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:31 PM   #5
roberto92

My only concern with splicing would be the difficulty of doing the flairs upside down under the car. Tips on that?

If I were to splice it, the fittings wouldn't matter, as long as the ones I put on the existing line match the ones on the new line, correct? (I would get the pre-flared line)

I'm in Ohio, so it is 100% a rust belt issue unfortunately. The car is holding up fairly well considering.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help roberto92 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-20-2017, 04:13 PM   #6
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberto92 View Post

I'm in Ohio, so it is 100% a rust belt issue unfortunately. The car is holding up fairly well considering.
My oldest is at OSU. I tell him he doesn't need a car since he lives basically across the street from the Union.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:34 PM   #7
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Pipes are round...I can't see upside down mattering in any fashion

As long as the flares match the connector's flare and match the MC you'll be fine. I believe factory use's bubble flares which is usually approximated good enough by not quite finishing a double flare. "good enough" because the full double-flare kit is under $50 and the right bubble flare kits start at $100 (last I checked, price's could have changed).

I'm not sure of nut-size's at the master cylinder but I believe ABS units use different nuts than non-ABS unit.

Last edited by fetchitfido; 07-20-2017 at 11:46 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:07 AM   #8
Waiex191
Advanced Member
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

A pre-flared line would work and you could use a normal flare union to join the parts. You can loosen the clips holding up the line to drop it, that would allow you to get to it easier to flare. Only danger there is the spot welded studs may be rusty too, and they can fail.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:41 PM   #9
roberto92

I graduated from OSU a few years ago. Great place.

I decided to try to splice some line in, as i thought it would be easier. Rented a flaring tool that didnt really work (3/16 hole was too worn to hold the line tight enough). I'll be going to a different store to try another rental in the morning.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-22-2017, 12:10 AM   #10
jhonky
jhonky is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

I think the brake line i got from the jy cost like 6.95

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"
I burn about a quart about every 1500 miles.

If it ain't broke, fix it some more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhonky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:18 PM   #11
roberto92

Got the line on there! New problem, when attempting to bleed (using a hand held vacuum pump) I was unable to get any fluid out of the drum with the replaced line. (Rear left, not right as I initially thought) I successfully bled the other three corners, but could not get anything out of this one. Any thoughts?

Also, a big thank you to everyone on this site. Two years ago I knew nothing about cars, and I have learned so much from the wealth of knowledge this signet has.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-22-2017, 04:52 PM   #12
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Given the "high" cost of new brake line...I can't see the point of buying used brake line...lol

If you can get the bleeder screw entirely out, check for debris and clean it out. If that's clear and you still aren't getting fluid, take the new line back off the cylinder and see if there's any sign of fluid there. Other than some knuckle head putting a nail in the line (was why my 3/4ton truck had no rear brakes) at the MC I can't think of a non-ABS related reason why there'd be fluid at 1 rear wheel and not the other.

Possibly the vacuum gun isn't making a good seal on the bleeder screw, they're fairly cheap to replace (under $5) but if you have a zip-tie handy that should fix it for even cheaper.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:09 PM   #13
roberto92

I'll take the bleeder screw out tomorrow, after some wd40, I had no problem loosening it. If that doesn't help, do you mean unscrew the line at the soft hose that goes into the drum? I only replaced about 40" so I didn't touch the master cylinder.

Possibly of note, the master cylinder did get almost empty, as it was a pretty bad line burst. Not sure how much that matters as I had no issues bleeding except for this corner.

As for the vacuum pump, with some finagling I was able to get it secure enough on the bleeder screw to hold what was more than enough to bleed the others (about 15inHg)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-22-2017, 06:04 PM   #14
Dsaturn
Dsaturn is a jewel in the roughDsaturn is a jewel in the roughDsaturn is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

It could be that the rubber line collapsed internally causing a blockage. Take that line off the wheel cylinder and brake line and see if you can blow through it both directions with an air compressor if you have one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dsaturn is online now   Reply With Quote