SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2
Default rear brake line replacement

on a 2001 sc2 what can I expect to pay a garage to replace that brake line that goes from drum to drum? mine looks a little rusty. I see this is a common problem on these cars. if I could buy a pre-bent fitted line I could do it myself...

anybody had a garage do yours? cost?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: rear brake line replacement

Separate line for each wheel from the MC even though the rear is setup like a typical system with one line going to the rear and then splitting to each rear wheel.

As for having a shop do it, it's roughly $30 for the line and fittings and then 2-4 hours labor to bend up and install.

Whats so hard about bending brake line? I don't think there's any complex bends, it's all easy stuff. Using a $10 tool nearly guarantee's no collapsed bends but you can do it by hand too. Getting the bubble flare on the end...that's the freaking annoying part (and hoping you didn't forget to put the fitting on before flaring >.<).

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Separate line for each wheel from the MC even though the rear is setup like a typical system with one line going to the rear and then splitting to each rear wheel.

As for having a shop do it, it's roughly $30 for the line and fittings and then 2-4 hours labor to bend up and install.

Whats so hard about bending brake line? I don't think there's any complex bends, it's all easy stuff. Using a $10 tool nearly guarantee's no collapsed bends but you can do it by hand too. Getting the bubble flare on the end...that's the freaking annoying part (and hoping you didn't forget to put the fitting on before flaring >.<).
the brake line that's rusty on my car goes from drum to drum in the rear suspension or it looks like it does. is this just a small line or does it go to the front of the car? does anybody have a diagram on the brake lines on this car?

as for doing it myself there was a time when I loved to screw around with stuff like this, but these days it's all work & no play for me. I work in a mammoth hospital the size of 2 cities & do an enormous amount of walking each day & when I come home I just collapse & don't feel like doing anything. besides I don't have the tool for that inverted flare & the bending tools. that always was a pita to get the line to fit especially to get the fittings straight so they go on properly.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

4 lines leave the MC, 2 goto each front wheel and the rear pair run together next to the fuel line to the driver side rear, then the passenger side bends off to go through the rear subframe to the passenger rear wheel.

Rear brake lines are in the upper right; have to use some imagination to see it "on" the car.

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssem...ssembly=405043

M10X1.0 (hex 12mm); M11X1.5 (hex 12mm); M12X1.0 (hex 14mm) are the nut size's required, I believe the rear's use the smaller 12mm nuts. Front and/or abs use larger hex sized nuts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

so one of the ends does go to the front of the car then? it'd not a small line....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #6
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
4 lines leave the MC, 2 goto each front wheel and the rear pair run together next to the fuel line to the driver side rear, then the passenger side bends off to go through the rear subframe to the passenger rear wheel.

Rear brake lines are in the upper right; have to use some imagination to see it "on" the car.

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssem...ssembly=405043

M10X1.0 (hex 12mm); M11X1.5 (hex 12mm); M12X1.0 (hex 14mm) are the nut size's required, I believe the rear's use the smaller 12mm nuts. Front and/or abs use larger hex sized nuts.
when I go on this site it seems to show part numbers for the brake tubing. they sell it pre-bent?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-12-2013, 04:11 AM   #7
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

#11 is the same brake tube the parts store sells and #17 is a little retention clip so the line is held securely to the body of the car. I thought the same thing until I realized every brake tube pictured is #11 and most of them also have #17's.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #8
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
#11 is the same brake tube the parts store sells and #17 is a little retention clip so the line is held securely to the body of the car. I thought the same thing until I realized every brake tube pictured is #11 and most of them also have #17's.
lol i just noticed that! every tube is #11 how funny! so i guess they have to be bent. the one that goes across the rear that goes right to the master cylinder then? there's no junction between the master cylinder & rear?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
tx3nc
tx3nc is on a distinguished road

Quote:

If you go with a nickel copper alloy brake line, you don't even need a tool to bend and route it. And if you make a bend in the wrong place, just straighten it out and re-bend it where you need to. Very easy stuff to work with. The only tool you'll need is the flaring tool. Usually when I do it, I reuse the old fittings cut off the old lines. That way I know they fit without having to buy a bunch of adapters.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tx3nc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tx3nc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tx3nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
anmire
anmire is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2
1994 SC2

Brake line repair is actually pretty simple. If you have a NAPA, maybe AutoZone near you, you can pick up pre-machined flared lines for like three bucks a foot, and possibly even a flare tool. You just need the tool and the fitting/adapters. Getting everything could be as cheap as...I'd guess 40 bucks if just one line and 50 if two lines are bad. Bending the lines is easy enough to do by hand...it's not necessarily pretty if you don't bend it perfectly, but it's absolutely fine. I'd suggest at least a double flare, or bubble flare tool rather than single though. The line has a tendency to last longer at the fitting when done correctly with those. If you do it right the first time around, shouldn't take more than 2 hours. Longest part could even be bleeding the brakes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to anmire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help anmire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
anmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #11
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

When I did a brake line on my wife's truck, I brought the old line into the FLAPS, the nice lady and I measured it around its various bends, she found a straight line of that length already flared and fitted with the appropriate fittings, I took it home and used a tubing bender and the old line to approximate the shape, and it went right in. For an application running the full length of the car like this one, you'll probably need to put two such pieces together.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #12
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

can't the corroded part of the rear line be cut off & flared there & a section just be spliced in there? i have heard though that old brake lines tend to crack when trying to flare them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-21-2018, 11:51 AM   #13
slugbug
slugbug is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1

Anyone have any tips for accessing and removing the rear lines which go through the subframe? Mine are pretty rusted and look like they should be changed soon. Are there panels on the subframe that come off to access the lines easier?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slugbug's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slugbug reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
slugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:41 PM   #14
Waiex191
Advanced Member
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Mine did not go through the subframe. They do go through the rear suspension stuff. My brake line stuff is on my thread, starting at post 131.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...=230898&page=7

Short answer: nicopp is awesome. Duplicate your rusty line as best as you can, then bend it all into place.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:17 PM   #15
slugbug
slugbug is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1

Thanks, not sure mine go through the subframe channels. There appears to be a cover which is meant to be removed but the bolts or whatever holds it on appear way to rusted for me to ever get them out '99 SC1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slugbug's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slugbug reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
slugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:37 PM   #16
Waiex191
Advanced Member
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

What cover? Maybe post a picture.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote