SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2018, 09:28 AM   #1
kaviation
kaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Question Anyone know any Redline's for sale?

I've been searching for about a year now for a Redline. I have found some, but most are farther than I want to travel. I live in Pittsburgh PA but would consider traveling up to 200 miles one way If it's in good condition and under 100K miles on it.

TIA

TWM Short Shifter
Progress springs with Cobalt SS suspension
Vibrant cat-back exhaust system!
RK Sport Fiberglass Hood

LONG LIVE THE BEECH 1900D

I ENJOY WHAT I DO- I DO WHAT I ENJOY

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kaviation's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kaviation reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kaviation is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2018, 04:50 PM   #2
Tethys
Advanced Member
Tethys is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Anyone know any Redline's for sale?

Someone bought the red one in Michigan for sale last year with 31K on the clock. I haven't seen one surface since then.

2015 Buick Verano Turbo
5 - 2006 Ion 3 Sedan, Manual, Storm Grey
4 - 2004 Ion 2 Sedan, Manual, Electric Blue
3 - 1996 SL2 Manual, Medium Red
2 - 1991 SL1 Manual, White
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tethys's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tethys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tethys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:22 AM   #3
kaviation
kaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethys View Post
Someone bought the red one in Michigan for sale last year with 31K on the clock. I haven't seen one surface since then.
I have found several, I missed out on an 04 blue, (beautiful) un-modded, with 49,000 on it, but it was in Chicago and the dealer wanted 5900, plus fees and my taxes here in PA, AND almost 18 hours of driving it would have cost me about 6500 in all and that was more than I was willing to pay. I have missed out on some beautiful low mileage Redlines, all were more than a 7 hour drive.

TWM Short Shifter
RK Sport Fiberglass Hood

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kaviation reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-01-2018, 12:27 PM   #4
kaviation

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

So right now, I found 2 Redlines for sale within a driveable distance from me. I would like to ask your opinion.

I guess its all what you want. both are 05's, 1 has under 40k miles, very nice shape and is a stock base redline. The other is a fully modded 425 HP beast with 62k miles, garage kept as well. Both are overpriced, the stock Redline is at a dealer, and they want $8k! Wayyyy to much, the modded one is around 10k but might me negotiable because it's private. He claims he has invested almost 20k in it, It does have a sick list of engine upgrades, and a different supercharger, E85 tune, 100# injectors, tuner computer to go with it, etc.... But it is still a Redline, do the upgrades justify the higher premium? Do you trust a car that's been modded like that? Which one would most of you guys consider?

TWM Short Shifter
RK Sport Fiberglass Hood

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-02-2018, 11:08 PM   #5
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Thoughts and/or questions which come to mind for me are as follows (not necessarily in order of importance):

Avoid letting the sellers of either car know just how familiar you are already with the Ion Redline model. You may have more control over the bargaining process - for either car - than it seems at present.

Ion @ dealer
Go to kbb.com to get an idea about what a car dealer's price might be. I think that the dealer has over-priced the car to give himself a greater margin over which a final sales price can be negotiated. If you can negotiate a price you like for this Ion then the dealer may also provide an option for a warranty covering many thousands of miles. A private seller offers no such warranty.

Ion @ private party
1) Will the car pass an emissions test with all of the modifications on it at present?
2) If the car actually has tested out as having a 425 HP engine then there has also been substantial internal upgrading within the engine block; crankshaft,
connecting rods, and pistons. Further, it would seem to me that the transmission would've required modification to be able to handle the major increase in torque output. Can the owner prove the horse power claimed for that engine?
3) How reliable are the external parts used to increase the horsepower?
4) For your consideration: if you must replace any of those parts what is the likely cost; could you do it yourself; do you know of a mechanic who can deal with a highly modified engine should something go wrong?
5) How has the transmission been modified to accept the increase in torque generated by this high powered engine?
6) What is the fuel economy of this modified engine?
7) If the owner has indeed spent $20K on upgrades to the car then he may actually be less willing to bargain than the dealer.
8) As you said, it's still an Ion Redline. There aren't many folks who really think much of them except for those of us who have an interest in Saturn cars.

In general, I would be inclined to pursue the car at the dealer.

284,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:39 AM   #6
kaviation

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
Thoughts and/or questions which come to mind for me are as follows (not necessarily in order of importance):

Avoid letting the sellers of either car know just how familiar you are already with the Ion Redline model. You may have more control over the bargaining process - for either car - than it seems at present.

Ion @ dealer
Go to kbb.com to get an idea about what a car dealer's price might be. I think that the dealer has over-priced the car to give himself a greater margin over which a final sales price can be negotiated. If you can negotiate a price you like for this Ion then the dealer may also provide an option for a warranty covering many thousands of miles. A private seller offers no such warranty.

Ion @ private party
1) Will the car pass an emissions test with all of the modifications on it at present?
2) If the car actually has tested out as having a 425 HP engine then there has also been substantial internal upgrading within the engine block; crankshaft,
connecting rods, and pistons. Further, it would seem to me that the transmission would've required modification to be able to handle the major increase in torque output. Can the owner prove the horse power claimed for that engine?
3) How reliable are the external parts used to increase the horsepower?
4) For your consideration: if you must replace any of those parts what is the likely cost; could you do it yourself; do you know of a mechanic who can deal with a highly modified engine should something go wrong?
5) How has the transmission been modified to accept the increase in torque generated by this high powered engine?
6) What is the fuel economy of this modified engine?
7) If the owner has indeed spent $20K on upgrades to the car then he may actually be less willing to bargain than the dealer.
8) As you said, it's still an Ion Redline. There aren't many folks who really think much of them except for those of us who have an interest in Saturn cars.

In general, I would be inclined to pursue the car at the dealer.
This is the listed upgrades.....

1320 TVS with 2.6" pulley
E85 tune
HP tuned
OTTP stage 3 cams
ZZP Stage 1 ported head
82# valve springs
LNF valves
ARP studs
New Intake manifold with dual pass
Option B from Powell (no idea what this is)
phenolic spacer
LS4 TB
ZZP 3" intake
Benc C-class I/C pump
OTTP 3" longtube header wrapped
3" catless DP (that wouldn't pass my state inspection)
2.5" Borla catback
160# injectors
Walbro 450 fuel pump

NEW LNF, LSD transmission with 4.45 gears
GMPP clutch with upgraded TOB from ZZP
new OEM flywheel

And ALOT of other suspension, and exterior mods.

As for the dealer car, I called him and he is not moving off that price. (at least not yet) I told him what the other cars in the same shape/mileage have been going for,(which is around 5800-6200 depending on year) I threw out 6K and he shot that down. we'll see if he drops it eventually, I haven't seen one go for anywhere near that much yet.

TWM Short Shifter
RK Sport Fiberglass Hood

REWARD EXCELLENCE!