SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2008, 10:32 AM   #1
gmhill
gmhill is on a distinguished road

Default Odometer bulb replacement

How hard is it to replace the bulb that illuminates of odometer reading in a 2000 SL-1?? Can read only if use flashlite to illuminate from the dashboard side.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gmhill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gmhill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gmhill is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2008, 10:42 AM   #2
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1
Default Re: Odometer bulb replacement

remove the dash cover:

http://www.saturnseries.net/DIY%20Gu...sh%20Cover.htm

You may be able to get at the bulb with the gauge cluster installed. Twist & remove. If you can't get at it, you'll have to take the cluster out, which is a little more involved, but not too bad.

http://www.saturnseries.net/DIY%20Gu...ugeCluster.htm

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:43 AM   #3
1994Saturn
1994Saturn will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2
1994 SL1
Happy Re: Odometer bulb replacement

Its no too hard, also its known that the light bulb blows.
Here is a How to

Current:
1998 SL2 Auto issues 112K
1995 Eagle Vision 3.5L TSI 117K
Past:
98 SL1 254k miles Valves Burnt.
94 SL2 125K miles Diff Pin Blew!
94 SL1 Sold @134K.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1994Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1994Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1994Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
gmhill
gmhill is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replys, this helps big time!!!! Thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gmhill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gmhill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gmhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:40 AM   #5
saturncrzy
saturncrzy will become famous soon enough

1992 SL2
1997 SC2

this vid will help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6FbkhZakWg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturncrzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturncrzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturncrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:22 PM   #6
Hi Phi High
Hi Phi High is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1

This is an excellent thread at the right time. My odometer light
stopped working about 4 day ago!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hi Phi High's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hi Phi High reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hi Phi High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:51 PM   #7
Kaervak
Kaervak will become famous soon enoughKaervak will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

You'll have to pull the cluster to get the bulb. The odo bulb is recessed into the back of the cluster. It's not a hard job, just takes a bit of time is all. I recently replaced my odo bulb and it took about an hour from start to finish. Since you're going to be in there anyway, you might want to replace the DRL indicator bulb too since that usually has close to the same about of burn hours on it as the odo bulb. Just take your time, don't rush anything and it will be a cakewalk.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaervak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaervak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaervak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:46 AM   #8
1994Saturn
1994Saturn will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2
1994 SL1

If it were me, i would replace all of them LOL.

Current:
1998 SL2 Auto issues 112K
1995 Eagle Vision 3.5L TSI 117K
Past:
98 SL1 254k miles Valves Burnt.
94 SL2 125K miles Diff Pin Blew!
94 SL1 Sold @134K.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1994Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1994Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1994Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:45 PM   #9
iamdigitalman
iamdigitalman is on a distinguished road

1998 SW1

Perfect timing!! My bulb went out tonight, after 45k. I was fretting it, but after watching the video, looks to be no sweat. I work on computers all the time, so this should not be too big of a shift.

oh, the video for the gen 2 vehicle is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jXiwgm3bPg

looks like it could be done in less than half an hour. Now all I need to do is find a place that has the bulb for cheap, and do it myself. Does this require unhooking the battery, or should I leave it plugged in? I don't feel like getting shocked. been there, done that.

thanks.

1998 SW1 gold/charcoal bumper with 168,000 miles on it (grandmother's car). originally had 21,266 miles on it when I started driving it.

My baby: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM0AYfRbgM8

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to iamdigitalman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help iamdigitalman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
iamdigitalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:35 PM   #10
Kaervak
Kaervak will become famous soon enoughKaervak will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdigitalman View Post
Perfect timing!! My bulb went out tonight, after 45k. I was fretting it, but after watching the video, looks to be no sweat. I work on computers all the time, so this should not be too big of a shift.

oh, the video for the gen 2 vehicle is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jXiwgm3bPg

looks like it could be done in less than half an hour. Now all I need to do is find a place that has the bulb for cheap, and do it myself. Does this require unhooking the battery, or should I leave it plugged in? I don't feel like getting shocked. been there, done that.

thanks.
You can get the bulb at NAPA for $0.99 each for the #73 bulb. I disconnected the battery simply because you're working near the airbag. The chances of it actually deploying are slim, but the less chance of an airbug upside the head is always a plus in my book.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaervak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaervak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaervak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:38 AM   #11
richpin06
richpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

If you happen to have a 98-99 with the digital odometer the bulb for the odometer is located in the black shaded area in the picture below.

http://www.youtube.com/richpin06a

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to richpin06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help richpin06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
richpin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:28 PM   #12
iamdigitalman

1998 SW1

thanks guys. I went to meijer, and they had a Phillips bulb terminal. It had 2 of them listed as just "instrument", a 74 and a 161. I might wait until some more burn out before I do the surgery.

I will also make sure to disconnect the battery. I think the airbag deployment is in the engine bay, not in the passenger's compartment.

1998 SW1 gold/charcoal bumper with 168,000 miles on it (grandmother's car). originally had 21,266 miles on it when I started driving it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help iamdigitalman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-15-2008, 11:21 PM   #13
iamdigitalman

1998 SW1

Well, it's the oddest thing. Last night as I was driving back home, the light came back on. Actually, I think it was working from the time I started it, I just never noticed it until I was on the freeway.

idk why it went out, or why it came back on. Maybe it was because she is overdue for an oil change (whoops. the light being out made that hard to notice), and she decided to remind me in her own special way, and it will go out again after I get it changed, just my luck

I will keep an eye on it. I have 2 weeks coming up for school break, so maybe once the oil is changed, I will have enough time to take it all apart. (I am out of town all next week and my mother insists on me driving her all wheel drive monster of an SUV while she takes Sadie for the week)

I am still trying to figure out where to pop up the dash cover. I got the one on the far left of the instrument cluster, but after that, I am lost.

happy holidays, all.

-digital

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-15-2008, 11:36 PM   #14
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Go here: http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...99cluster.html

Remove the 2 screws. Get a 2" plastic putty knife and work gently along the edge of the cover and you will find all of the clips. This way you will not break any.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:30 AM   #15
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

seeing you have to remove the dash top just to replace bulbs, i wonder if it's a good idea to convert the dashboard to led's some of the lights are already led's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:52 AM   #16
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The 98 is all incandescent. Conversion is the way to go. Taking off the dash top is the easy part.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote