SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 11:47 PM   #1
Troy
Troy is on a distinguished road

Default Steering Wheel Swap

Has anyone thought about swapping in the 04 VUE's three spoke steering wheel to replace the standard L wheel? I think the metal would match the center dash and look really sharp; but I don't know about airbag size differences/deployment force differences or wiring differences. Any techies out there?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Troy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Troy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2004, 09:28 AM   #2
socketz
socketz is on a distinguished road

Man, if you pull this one off about 20 of us will probably follow.

The stock steering wheel in the L is definitely one of the low points.

The VUE wheel looks like the one that's in the CTS. Much nicer.

I have no idea how easy this is as the last time I swapped a steering wheel all you needed to worry about was getting power to the horn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to socketz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help socketz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-11-2004, 09:52 AM   #3
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

The L series and VUE use the same steering column so there shouldn't be any problems with hooking up the wheel..even the cruise buttons would work. I asked the parts manager at my Saturn dealer this same question. He said that the gauges and wheel from the VUE will work in the L, but you aren't going to like the prices. The wheel is about $150-200....the airbag is $400...kind of a pricey upgrade, but yeah, it would look sharp, especially with the two tone gray and black L interior.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-13-2004, 11:08 PM   #4
redbadge
redbadge is on a distinguished road

I have wanted a spoke steering wheel in my 03 L200 for a long time. The stock steering wheel is not very ergonomic. Too bad the upgrade is about six hundred bucks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to redbadge's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help redbadge reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-14-2004, 12:07 AM   #5
lostwages_ls2
lostwages_ls2 is on a distinguished road

Start checking the salvage yards monthly or so. Maybe a totaled VUE will show up.

Your Honor Student is merely a pawn in my Min Pin's diabolical world domination plot.

Obey the Min Pin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lostwages_ls2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lostwages_ls2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-15-2004, 12:35 AM   #6
Troy
Troy is on a distinguished road

Thank you for all of your kind comments. I'm glad I'm not alone in my assessment of Saturn's choice for steering wheels. They gave the good one to the Vue and Relay, now let's hope they offer it in the Ion and L replacement. I kinda felt the L and Vue had a fair share of interchange on their parts, but I'm curious what the size difference is in the Vue airbag versus the L airbag. I wouldn't want to put an airbag in with so much cube and/or force that it ends up being more dangerous. Will the L airbag fit in the Vue wheel or do you have to spend the $400- for the Vue airbag (and is it safe)? My goal is to make an L Sport Wagon using the Super Charger kit from GM for the Ecotec 2.2 per the article below (has anyone done this?)

"April 1, 2004 New Ecotec 2.2L Supercharger Kit

The GM Performance Parts 2.2L supercharger kit is based on the Eaton M62 helical roots-type supercharger. Early estimates show the supercharger kit will deliver an 11-pound boost resulting in 175 horsepower at 5600 rpm Ė a 25 percent increase.

The kit will include supercharger assembly, intake manifold, all required gaskets, accessory drive brackets, tensioner, belt and new high-flow injectors. It will also include a throttle body adapter new inlet air duct, new cruise control cable and all of the fasteners required to assemble it to the engine. The kit is planned to be emissions certified and include a calibration to be downloaded by the dealer after installation

The GM Performance Parts 2.2L supercharger kit, expected to be available at the end of this year, will be offered as either a hard parts kit with no calibration or harness, or a platform-based street kit that will have both a calibration and harness. Both will be factory engineered and extensively tested to rigorous GM standards for performance and durability. Because the unit isnít offered as a factory option, youíll have to get yours through your local dealership."

In addition, I would like to change out the factory wheels with Sport Edition Tekno 16 x 7 rims with 225/50 WR16 Pirelli Pzero Nero M + S tires. Has anyone went this wide on an L tire? I think they should take up to 235mm.

Those of you who've looked at my pictures saw my proposed redesign of the ION interior a la Mini Cooper. What about the new L-series replacement offering in dash Nav? Remember when Saturn was the first to put sunroof and leather seats as optional on an economy car? Now its the norm. Except for the aforementioned Mini and the redesigned Nissan Altima, you can't touch in dash Nav in a car under $25K.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Troy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Troy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-15-2004, 08:55 AM   #7
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

That sounds sweet! Keep us posted cuz when my warranty is up on my L200..let the mods begin! woohoo!

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread