SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2019, 01:33 PM   #1
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2
Default Affordable LED fog lights with 3D printed brackets

A little while back I acquired some aftermarket LED fog light assemblies out of the front bumper of a Jeep Wrangler in the junk yard. Thought it would be a really neat mod to try and make them fit my 98 SL2.

The fog lights are only about $30 for the pair on eBay, pretty cheap for LED fog light assemblies. And since none exists for a Saturn lol, it's either retrofitting cheap aftermarkets or retrofitting expensive OEM assemblies. These cheapos seem to have a pretty good output and a nice flat beam pattern, so I'm going to give them a shot.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-4-30W-CR...dn-At&LH_BIN=1

So far I've got the prototype bracket modeled up and I'm going to try and 3D print it out this week or this weekend and see how the install goes. It should let me mount the LED assembly directly to the factory fog light bracket, and even retain the factory aiming function.

I will post up more as I start getting things together!

98 SL2, 70k miles, kept in the family since new!

Her name is Uranus :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98_Gold_Uranus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98_Gold_Uranus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98_Gold_Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2020, 09:45 PM   #2
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2
Default Re: Affordable LED fog lights with 3D printed brackets

Well, now that the forum will actually load for me, I can post my progress.

Got all the brackets printed up, they go together great! Going to make the wire adapter adapter harnesses and get them installed this weekend and see how they actually turn out. They're not the cleanest prints ever, I think my ABS has absorbed some moisture... but they feel structurally sound.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 98_Gold_Uranus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-04-2020, 10:53 PM   #3
98_Gold_Uranus

1998 SL2

Got them installed today, it they came out great!

They sit just a tad high in the hole, but they're also aimed as far up as possible at the moment until I get the chance to nose the car up to the garage door and aim them down and even them out, so they may drop a little as they're aimed down. There's also the option of bending the bracket down a little bit to center them up some.

I used the original fog light bulbs to make the adapter harnesses for them. Would have been great if the plugs on the LED fog lights were the same as the bulb for the original bulbs, but oh well. I didn't want to hack up the original harness, so I decided to go the route of constructing a small adapter instead. Now if need be, I can easily go back to the stock fog lights by just getting a pair of new bulbs.

After that, they just plug and play, and just work

I've got LED 9006 bulbs in the low beams in the headlights, but I plan on HID projector retrofitting some 3rd gen SL headlights that I already have and modding the brackets for them to fit this 98, and that should really improve the light output! But at least the color tone matches better now between the headlights and fog lights.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-06-2020, 05:56 PM   #4
Hiisi
Hiisi is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Your design looks awesome! Would you please share it on thingiverse? Also, I would consider having it printed on SLS or some other technology, rather than FDM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hiisi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hiisi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hiisi is offline   Reply With Quote