SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2020, 06:52 PM   #1
Chaz9496
Chaz9496 is a jewel in the roughChaz9496 is a jewel in the roughChaz9496 is a jewel in the roughChaz9496 is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Door Removal & "Wiring"

I'm changing the drivers door out with one from an L100 with no power mirrors. Is there any sure-shot method to removing the wires from the L100 door to the L200 ? I cut the wires from the L100 at the yard for a quick way to remove it. Since mine has P.M. and the 100 doesn't, I'm going to have to remove the wiring from both doors and run my wiring thru for the correct wiring to work the mirrors. It appears removing the outside door skin may be easiest to get access to them. In other words, some modifications may be needed to make this work. I would assume, like other brands that there should be a plug under the left side to unplug to remove the door. That would be the sensible way to design it.Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Chaz9496; 02-08-2020 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: Added Comment

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chaz9496's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chaz9496 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chaz9496 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2020, 12:17 PM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Door Removal & "Wiring"

Much of your L200's wiring harness is attached to the inside steel panel and some of that wiring travels through to the interior trim panel for the door lock and mirror switches (and courtesy door light if so equipped). Carefully observe the routing of the harness on that door - take pictures - and mark up the attachment points onto the L100 door. There's nothing unusual about removing a wiring harness, but certainly no "sure-shot" method either. I believe that there's enough room between the interior panel and the door skin so that it's not necessary to remove the door skin to access the wiring harness for either removal or installation, but you'll know after you've examined things. (FWIW, I replaced my left rear door wiring harness without removing the door skin.)

If you must fully remove the outer door skin then the outside handle must be removed first. Be sure to pick up a small trim removal tool to separate the plastic pins from the outer door handle and remove the handle. The common trim panel removal tool is too large to work on that part (this I know from experience). I could be wrong, but I suspect that the door's wiring harness connector goes to the front pillar and inside of the black loom because that's how it's set up for the rear doors where the connector goes to the center pillar.

What has me more curious about your situation is what you intend to do with the power door lock and the power window. An L100 didn't have those as stock items, but your L200 does. Are you transferring the power door lock components and the window regulator along with its motor as well? Your power door lock switch at the driver's door is utilized to program an automatic locking/unlocking feature so without it that feature is negated. (I use it and am glad to have it. It seems to me that there may be one other item which that switch helps to activate, but I can't recall it presently.) I don't know what effect, if any, the lack of a power window there will have on the rest of that system.

327,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:08 PM   #3
LastL4Banger
LastL4Banger is on a distinguished road

2004 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz9496 View Post
I'm changing the drivers door out with one from an L100 with no power mirrors. Is there any sure-shot method to removing the wires from the L100 door to the L200 ? I cut the wires from the L100 at the yard for a quick way to remove it. Since mine has P.M. and the 100 doesn't, I'm going to have to remove the wiring from both doors and run my wiring thru for the correct wiring to work the mirrors. It appears removing the outside door skin may be easiest to get access to them. In other words, some modifications may be needed to make this work. I would assume, like other brands that there should be a plug under the left side to unplug to remove the door. That would be the sensible way to design it.Thanks in advance.
Maybe I'm not understanding something but I would think you can reuse the existing wiring harness and PM by reusing the interior door panel. The only thing different will be the metal door and possibly the plastic exterior panel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LastL4Banger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LastL4Banger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LastL4Banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:38 PM   #4
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I think you may be overcomplicating this job for yourself.

If all you are doing is equipping your car with power door mirrors, then that is all you should focus on. It doesn't require a wholesale changing of doors or door panels.

The Saturn wiring loom is as far as I have found a standard wiring loom that incorporates all the various wiring for what were optional extras such as power/heated seats, fog lamps, etc. The wiring is there. You just need the components and any trim relative to that fitting. The mirrors outwardly and the trim sail panels are the same whether powered or not.

What you should have done at the JY instead of hacking at a wiring loom is trace it back to where it connected and then just unplugged it. If you had done that the retro fit would have been easier What I would suggest you do now is remove the interior door panel OR the outer door panel and compare the wiring on each of the looms you have. That will tell you if they are both the same. if they are, that makes your job much easier.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:09 PM   #5
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Just disassemble your front door and disconnect the harness from everything.
You are correct that most cars have a disconnect so that you can unplug and remove the door with the harness attached.
There is a plug on the rear doors.
There is not a plug on the front doors.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote