SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2020, 04:02 PM   #1
neurotopia
neurotopia is on a distinguished road

2005 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Car stalls

My 05 L300 had a couple instances of stalling when pulling up to stop lights. It would start right back up. I replaced the battery since the battery was old anyway, and it didn't happen for a month. Today I was pulling into a parking lot and it stalled again. Didn't start right back up but did after a couple minutes of sitting.

Took it to O'Reilly, they tested the electrical and the battery/alternator came back fine. I tried squirting around some starting fluid while it was running and no vacuum leaks. What's next? Idle Air Control Valve? Anything else?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to neurotopia's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help neurotopia reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
neurotopia is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2020, 06:22 PM   #2
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Car stalls

If you had vacuum leaks or components allied to emissions you would have codes.

When was the fuel filter last changed? It could be fuel delivery issue?

Can you confirm for the benefit of all responders to your thread what engine do you have? Towards the end of the L series life, it names ALL the 4 pot and 6 pot engined L series L300. Previously the L200 was the 4 pot and the L300 was the V6. For future post, you can update your profile by adding details of your vehicle. That makes it easy for folks to see exactly what you have

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:45 PM   #3
neurotopia

2005 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasl22002 View Post
If you had vacuum leaks or components allied to emissions you would have codes.

When was the fuel filter last changed? It could be fuel delivery issue?

Can you confirm for the benefit of all responders to your thread what engine do you have? Towards the end of the L series life, it names ALL the 4 pot and 6 pot engined L series L300. Previously the L200 was the 4 pot and the L300 was the V6. For future post, you can update your profile by adding details of your vehicle. That makes it easy for folks to see exactly what you have
Good point. I'll swap the filter.

The 05's only have the 6 cylinder, I thought? The car is listed in my profile.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help neurotopia reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-09-2020, 02:15 AM   #4
Rj 2000 LS2
Rj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the rough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Another problem could the crank position sensor. Our Saturn would faint at stop lights and started back up. Then, one day it quit and didn't start again when the CPS went bad. It is very easy to change on the Saturn Engine. I don't believe the code is shown until the sensor actually goes bad. I'm thinking that the code is set only when the car first starts so until it goes bad you won't get the code for CPS.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rj 2000 LS2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rj 2000 LS2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rj 2000 LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:23 AM   #5
ernesto rex
ernesto rex is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 VUE 3.0L

Another quick and simple thing to look for is corrosion on both battery cables. My 2000 LS2 had a habit of stalling out back in 2003 when idling or at low speed. (Yes, I've had this car for a very long time).

I discovered that my positive battery cable was starting to corrode under the red protective cover. Removed the cover, cleaned up the corrosion and the problem never came back.

Good luck.

2000 LS2

2003 VUE 3.0 FWD

2002 MINI Cooper R50

1978 GMC PU 7.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ernesto rex's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ernesto rex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ernesto rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:30 AM   #6
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurotopia View Post
The 05's only have the 6 cylinder, I thought? The car is listed in my profile.
^^^^ That is correct. 3.0 V-6 was the only engine available in 05 for the L-Series.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 01:23 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Mileage, maintenance done, parts replaced, throttle cleaned? At 100k miles, spark plugs, timing belt, water pump and fuel filter are recommended for replacement for long term performance.

No idle air control. L300s use a drive by wire system; electric motor to move throttle, electronic pedal and ecm monitoring throttle and pedal position while commanding throttle.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:36 PM   #8
neurotopia

2005 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Mileage, maintenance done, parts replaced, throttle cleaned? At 100k miles, spark plugs, timing belt, water pump and fuel filter are recommended for replacement for long term performance.

No idle air control. L300s use a drive by wire system; electric motor to move throttle, electronic pedal and ecm monitoring throttle and pedal position while commanding throttle.
That would explain why I can't find an idle air control valve on Rock :P

110k miles, I'm good about maintenance. Had it for one year.

Fuel filter is sitting on the front seat. I hadn't gotten any misfires so I'd left the plugs alone. Timing belt and water pump, now we're getting expensive! Never done a timing belt so dunno if I'd have the time to do it. Throttle looked clean when I went at it this summer, which surprised me since i'd only owned it for 6 months at that point.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-10-2020, 09:25 PM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

While none of the 100k mile replacement items are contributing to this random idle killing issue, keep them in mind. Stock (platinum) spark plugs are good for 100k miles+ but its prudent to replace them at recommended intervals (100k miles). Mine looked non the worse for wear other than a tanned look - little to no wear on electrodes due to platinum being wear resistant compared to plain plugs. I replaced them because of the number of cycle plugs go thru, including the wide temperature ranges summer and winter creates. Stress on plugs seem to be less and longer lasting with exotic tipped electrodes. The timing belt is a wear item and will last but shouldn't be ignored if you want to avoid catastrophic engine failure neglecting belt replacement. The water pump is buried and behind the timing belt cover and recommended for replacement instead of revisiting a second time if the pump isn't replaced when the timing belt is replaced. Fuel filter is the easiest replacement. Diy timing belt replacement is all labor with several members here describing it with snapshots. Expensive if paying GM or repair shop with costs between $700-$1200. Several hours and either the special timing kit or diy methods used (wire ties, stove bolts, vice grips).

If anything, a fuel pressure check might reveal something. Expect between 39-48 psi when ignition is turned on (fuel pump cycles for 2-3 seconds) without starting the engine. You might have to go over everything.

Normal startup idle varies - 1200 rpm for a cold engine, 650 rpm warm idle.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-11-2020, 01:01 AM   #10
neurotopia

2005 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
While none of the 100k mile replacement items are contributing to this random idle killing issue, keep them in mind. Stock (platinum) spark plugs are good for 100k miles+ but its prudent to replace them at recommended intervals (100k miles). Mine looked non the worse for wear other than a tanned look - little to no wear on electrodes due to platinum being wear resistant compared to plain plugs. I replaced them because of the number of cycle plugs go thru, including the wide temperature ranges summer and winter creates. Stress on plugs seem to be less and longer lasting with exotic tipped electrodes. The timing belt is a wear item and will last but shouldn't be ignored if you want to avoid catastrophic engine failure neglecting belt replacement. The water pump is buried and behind the timing belt cover and recommended for replacement instead of revisiting a second time if the pump isn't replaced when the timing belt is replaced. Fuel filter is the easiest replacement. Diy timing belt replacement is all labor with several members here describing it with snapshots. Expensive if paying GM or repair shop with costs between $700-$1200. Several hours and either the special timing kit or diy methods used (wire ties, stove bolts, vice grips).

If anything, a fuel pressure check might reveal something. Expect between 39-48 psi when ignition is turned on (fuel pump cycles for 2-3 seconds) without starting the engine. You might have to go over everything.

Normal startup idle varies - 1200 rpm for a cold engine, 650 rpm warm idle.
Never done a fuel pressure test, I imagine there's a schraeder valve on the fuel line? Is this a gauge I can bum off Advanced O'ReilloZone?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-11-2020, 10:16 AM   #11
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Yes, fuel test valve on the fuel rail over the engine, black plastic cap covering the test valve. Advance Auto and AutoZone should have free loaners. Similar to tire valves, screw on the fitting and turn on ignition for pressure.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-11-2020, 08:56 PM   #12
neurotopia

2005 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Yes, fuel test valve on the fuel rail over the engine, black plastic cap covering the test valve. Advance Auto and AutoZone should have free loaners. Similar to tire valves, screw on the fitting and turn on ignition for pressure.
Pressure came back at 38 or 39. I'll swap out the fuel filter and hopefully that will be the end of it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!