SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2020, 11:58 PM   #1
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Blinded by headlights & yellow polarized driving glasses

Trying something to combat these insanely bright headlights, so have been experimenting for 2 weeks using a pair of nighttime driving glasses as they are called.
My concern was that any tint and I would lose some vision whereby a deer would be headed my way and I might miss seeing it and get clobbered.

I only wear them on the way to and from work, and only on the back roads. However; I keep flipping the glasses up to my forehead and back down and don't really notice much loss of vision at all.

What I have found is that I can even look at the brightest oncoming headlights and they are dimmed enough that it does not bother my eyes OR obscure the roadway edges at all. Without these polarized lenses, it was a nightmare to even see the right hand edge of the pavement. These back roads are really not wide enough to merit a center line, and there is nothing on the right edge either. Lots of bad edge areas having deep missing pavement cavities and jagged notches which will absolutely kill a tire if you happen to connect with one...ask me how I know.

Anyone else tried yellow polarized lenses and would you agree or disagree on their merits?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2020, 04:38 AM   #2
Mister_Cee
Mister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2
Default Re: Blinded by headlights & yellow polarized driving glasses

I see adverts for them, all the time, but have never tried them. Following your endorsement, I may have to look into them (no pun intended lol).

Do they make everything seem yellow during the day or do you just use them for night driving?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mister_Cee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mister_Cee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mister_Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:42 AM   #3
Ccrussell
Ccrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL1
1999 SC2

Hello,
I have not tried driving glasses, but it is a good suggestion. I often see them for sale on the TV.
I thought it was just me as I age , sensitive to the blinding lights on new vehicles? What are the manufacturers thinking? I guess if you are driving one of those it's great, not so much if you are on the receiving end of them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ccrussell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ccrussell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ccrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:14 AM   #4
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

A handfull of 1/4 inch ball bearings tossed into the grill as they pass does wonders...

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:54 AM   #5
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinebiker View Post
A handfull of 1/4 inch ball bearings tossed into the grill as they pass does wonders...

Usually they're following me...

Some of the lights seem ultra bright, and others I assume are just because the Saturn sits so low.

2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 454cid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:03 AM   #6
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Mister Cee, I only use them when its dark.
My eyes are healthy, and the last time I EVER used any sunglasses was in the Fall of 1978.
I did get these yellow ones because, no matter what size vehicle I drove, I was blinded; MY sample vehicles: Avalanche, Suburban, Versa, Malibu or Saturn.

Hint: ball bearings thrown from a vehicle is a criminal offence in any state.
Better to get yellow polarized glasses instead.
Mine were only $8 on Ebay with decent frames and a leather case.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:10 AM   #7
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

I find that wearing polarized sunglasses when it is snowing or raining during the daytime helps to see better. I hadn't tried yellow polarized for night though. I might give it a go as I have a couple pair of sunglasses that have swappable lenses. I think I do have a yellow lens in my arsenal.

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:45 AM   #8
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

I’ve worn them for a few minutes in my grandmothers car before. They definitely work, although I already have glasses, so it was kinda annoying getting them to go them. They also put a yellow tint over everything that I don’t really love. It reminds me of “Night Shift” on my iPhone. I could probably get used to it, but I also done really care that much to either

97 SL2, auto, 117K miles