SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2020, 08:51 AM   #1
Rj 2000 LS2
Rj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the rough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Oil Leak near passenger side oil pan area?

I replace the oil pressure sending switch device thinking it was leaking oil. Nope, not it. The leak is about the size of silver dollar drop on the ground each night while in the garage. I've looked up in that area and everything is covered in oil so it is difficult to determine where the oil is coming from. The greatest issue is the oil is dripping on to the exhaust pipe and then burning resulting in that just fresh burnt oil smell! I don't know how I am going to fix this problem because I can't tell where the hell it coming from. It could be anything and everything. Any ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rj 2000 LS2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rj 2000 LS2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rj 2000 LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2020, 12:27 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Oil Leak near passenger side oil pan area?

A simple way to determine where fluid is leaking from like motor oil. Buy a degreaser in cans and spray the entire engine area covered in oil, follow can instructions on soaking, brush or wipe off hard buildup, respray as necessary and hose off. Some areas have power washers but caution on its use. If you over spray electrical connections and soak solution into electronics, this can prevent the engine from starting up. The same with home power washers. If you never used a power washer in the engine bay, don't jump on this as you may never get the engine running. Careful use of power washers is essential to cleaning off dirt, oil and grease from EFI engines. The spray cans reduce the potential of killing the EFI system electronics to a minimum but will clean of grease, oil and dirt.

Once you determine how to go about cleaning the engine, it should be simple to do. Afterwards, any oil seeping out should be obvious either the same or next day when looking for the source.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:40 PM   #3
Rj 2000 LS2
Rj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the rough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Great idea, but I did that last summer and I couldn't see the leak. We just got 8 inches of snow and trying to get under the engine now is impossible. I was hoping that someone would have had a leak and an idea where it could be coming from. I've considered the Oil Sending Light Switch, Value Cover Gaskets, Oil pan and even the front main seal. I kind of ruled out the seal because I did a bit of an inspection in and around the timing belt and it was all dry. If it was leaking there, it would have been soaked.

As soon as I can, I'll get another can of Gunk and clean it again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Rj 2000 LS2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-18-2020, 05:36 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you can, use Gunk on a hot engine like right after an errand when you're ready to Gunk the engine and follow up later with a hosing down the area. Warm engines heat up grease, dirt and oil collecting on the engine exterior with solvent easily penetrating to clean off.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:45 AM   #5
Rj 2000 LS2

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I got a mirror and was able to visually see oil coming from the entire bottom edge of the rear value cover. It is also leaking on the front value cover, the oil pan and just about every other gasket on the engine. I am certain the problem is from PCV valve which I intend to fix, mod or replace. I posted a new thread for the PCV. I will need to correct this positive crankcase ventilation problem before replacing any gaskets!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2020, 05:40 PM   #6
Rj 2000 LS2

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I've been digging and removing parts to get to the valve covers. I am stuck and can use some help. I am looking to unbolt the ERG hard line so I can take the upper intake off in one piece. It appears the two brass bolts are 15/16", but I don't have this size wrenches. I tried using a single adjustable wrench, but I'm worried if I put too mush mustard to it, it will break something. I really need two wrenches, one to loosen the nut and other to work against it. I sprayed the connection with pen-oil. Now what?

ps. Youtube does not have a video on how to actually unbolt the nest of shat on and around the rear valve cover. My god, it's a mess! I thought the front valve cover was difficult, the rear is a real F@!#$@ *****! I don't think they designed this engine to worked upon! I only have this one damn bolt to remove the upper intake... it's driving me crazy!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2020, 06:06 PM   #7
Rj 2000 LS2

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I removed the ERG device, but I can't break the hard line loose?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-07-2020, 10:56 AM   #8
Rj 2000 LS2

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I removed the Standard Intermotor PCV Value V545 from the engine to inspect it. I found the reed valve was bent up allow the port to remain open constantly. The reed valve material was like a burnt potato chip and just as fragile. I gently touched it and it snapped off. I made an inquiry to purchasing this part from O'Rielly's and they are not sure it is still available. I'm waiting on them to get back to me.

It is possible to rebuild this part, but I don't have the tools or materials necessary to rebuilt it. A tap set, viton rubber and stainless screws etc... Most of all what I don't have is time! This is my wife's car and my truck wouldn't start this morning so we have no running vehicles! Why couldn't have this happened in the Summer!

I suspect many of these PCV reed values in the Saturn 3.0 engines are going bad. Here are the symptoms for others to look for:
1) Excessive oil leaking through many gaskets
2) Massive amount of carbon build up in and through the intake(s)
3) Excessive wear on engine and poor running

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-07-2020, 01:21 PM   #9
Rj 2000 LS2

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I would like to edit my previous message, but the forum edit button is not available.

Whether you want to admit it or not... the "Standard Intermotor PCV Valve" Part Number V545 are have gone bad or will soon because the rubber reed valve that meters the blow-by has hardened and/or is broken. This part is not readily available and must be garage fixed. When a Saturn V6 (or a CTS V6) starts puking oil on the ground, it is a sure fire guarantee this part is bad. The oil is being pushed through the gaskets due to excessive crankcase pressure. If leaking a quart of oil every two weeks is acceptable, the long term affect will be a destroyed engine. The amount of oily gunk that accumulates all through the engine is amazing. I found excessive gunk inside the lower intake, upper intake and in the value cover areas.

This failure is a show stopper for all Saturn Fans with V6 engines that use the"Standard Intermotor PCV Valve", V545 part.

Failure mode: The reed valve fails, then the vacuum inlet on the V545 plugs up completely, then the intake is constantly sucking in crankcase flumes and excessive crankcase pressure is occurring, which in turn causes the valve cover gaskets to fail from excessive pressure causing oil to leak every where possible. If the engine continues to run with excess crankcase pressure it will eventually die from heart disease!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-07-2020, 04:17 PM   #10
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You appear to have two threads running on basically the same topic, your pcv valve. Running 2 of the same doesn't help anyone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:02 PM   #11
Rj 2000 LS2

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Yupp, because no one was responding and the forum was intermittently down for week. When I tried to find the original thread, it wasn't showing. I posted a new name as it went from oil leak to a valve cover issue to the final issue which is the PCV system failure causing all the other problems. Should I make another new thread to pull it all together?

Before you start saying any crap about how I don't know how to use a forum. I've ran a forum on jet boating for 20 years. This forum format and usefulness is extremely poor. The content provided by the various members is usually excellent.

The devil is in the details. People that need or want help should not be belittled and/or ignored by anyone. I participate here in order to help others and gain knowledge about things I have yet to learn. It is impossible to know everything. Hopefully, the answers come via collaboration.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-08-2020, 11:35 AM   #12
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rj 2000 LS2 View Post
Yupp, because no one was responding and the forum was intermittently down for week. When I tried to find the original thread, it wasn't showing. I posted a new name as it went from oil leak to a valve cover issue to the final issue which is the PCV system failure causing all the other problems. Should I make another new thread to pull it all together?

Before you start saying any crap about how I don't know how to use a forum. I've ran a forum on jet boating for 20 years. This forum format and usefulness is extremely poor. The content provided by the various members is usually excellent.

The devil is in the details. People that need or want help should not be belittled and/or ignored by anyone. I participate here in order to help others and gain knowledge about things I have yet to learn. It is impossible to know everything. Hopefully, the answers come via collaboration.

RJ.... Chill!

No-one is belittling you, certainly not me. I was simply pointing out that you had 2 threads on the same subject and that gets confusing for everyone. You are not the only person to have done that.

I totally agree with you about the site. It has on and off like a light switch recently and there has been lots of spam. The owner of the thread is aware of what's going on and has apologised for things. Apparently he's running the site on a software version that was replaced about 4 years ago and is in dire need of upgrading/updating. Some member have offered support, both physical and financial, but the site owner is doing it all himself despite that.

I think the big worry for many members is that if the site continues to have these problems, it will lose support and folks will move to other Saturn sites. With that you lose knowledge and expertise. Something we all value.

As far as no-one answering your thread. That does happen from time to time with issues that no-one has never posted on before. The Search function on this site is the world's best, but I also believe that when members start a thread, they should think carefully when naming it. I have seen it where someone has started a thread and just named it Help? How helpful in search terms is that?

I too was on a boat site for several years. That site named its posters with navy titles, so someone who ran off at the mouth all the times and posted lots of stuff eventually became an Admiral. the newbies were Able Seamen. Some of the AS knew more than the Admirals, but like with the Navy, the Admirals made it clear that AS's should know their place. That's not good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote