SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2020, 11:59 AM   #1
dallam1
dallam1 is a jewel in the roughdallam1 is a jewel in the roughdallam1 is a jewel in the rough

Default 2009 Aura OBD2

Gents; Working on my daughter in law's Aura. It has a misfire which is significant because it's a 4 cylinder. I told her not to worry because mr fixit here can tackle the job. I promptly connected my trusty scanner to the OBD port to find out which cylinder was misfiring then go from there. Wouldn't u know it but the OBD port is dead. I then connected the scanner to my auto and it works fine. Then I looked at the cigarette lighter fuse in the Aura and it's good. I then pulled each and every mini fuse and looked at them....all good. After a cup of coffee, I pulled all four plugs to look for sooty deposits (old school stuff) but they all look good however the car is definitely misfiring. Im scratching my bald head over this. Can any of u gents help?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dallam1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dallam1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dallam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2020, 12:27 PM   #2
mmtphoto
mmtphoto is a jewel in the roughmmtphoto is a jewel in the roughmmtphoto is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: 2009 Aura OBD2

pull down the connector and examine pins and rear for wires pulled out I guess. Hate it when I get a car in and right off the connection is weird or messed up...persistence and a meter my friend.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mmtphoto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mmtphoto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mmtphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 02:32 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If I'm not mistaken, pin-16 is fused for 12v power to the OBD II connector. Pins 2 and 5 are the serial communication signals.

If you have four separate ignition coils, finding the misfiring may be as simple as disconnecting one coil and starting up. Trial and error. If a coil is faulty, switching the faulty one with a good one should move the problem to another cylinder.

If ignition coils aren't faulty then a compression test may be needed to determine if piston rings or valve damage occurred. Borrow a compression gauge from Autozone. A dry test with compression values should show which cylinder is low - observing the gauge needle pulse while starting, turn the engine over until the needle stops incrementing. Before compression testing begins, remove the fuel pump fuse to prevent fuel being injected into cylinders. When compression tests are done, replace the fuse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vJB6W.jpg (55.3 KB, 2 views)

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:58 AM   #4
dallam1
dallam1 is a jewel in the roughdallam1 is a jewel in the roughdallam1 is a jewel in the rough

Excellent replies and thank you but I was able to fix the rascal. I did not know this but the Aura has three fuse block areas.....did any of u know this? The fuse for the OBD port was in the third fuse block that I stumbled on and almost missed. Once the scanner was working it pointed to the bad cylinder. like fdryer stated I swapped the coil and plug to an adjacent cylinder and sure enough the scanner showed the misfire moved to that cylinder. Bought a new spark plug and coil for not a whole lot of money and it was done....very smooth little 4 banger. The sad thing is this took about 5 hours away from my drinking day and my daughter in law came over and said she was in a hurry and rushed off with the car and didn't even hug me. Millennials, I don't understand them! Thanks again my friends!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dallam1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dallam1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dallam1 is offline   Reply With Quote