SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2020, 10:33 PM   #1
Secondridesat
Secondridesat is on a distinguished road

Default 1999 SL2 Manual Transmission/Clutch Issue

I have a 1999 SL2 Saturn with 195k miles on it.
3rd owner, bought at 95k miles on it.

What happened:
Drove to store just fine, after leaving parking lot and stopping a stop sign. I put in to first to go forward and it starts to move and right after letting clutch go 100% and i hear a pop. No more acceleration. So with car still running i pushed it to a safe zone and did some trouble shooting

I can push the peddle for the clutch and it feels OK. I can't say i feel a change in pressure but it goes down and comes up with no issue. I'm able to to move the shifter into all gears with out use of clutch peddle. BUT When going in to 4th or 5th i hear a slight rubbing/clicking but again car does not move.

Linkage Checked (replaced 1 year ago), the Shift pattern is still there. I did notice the rubber protecting the shift link wire was frayed but it moved the linkage on the trans when the shifter was moved from the inside of car.

No noticeable leaking, or a change in fluid level from clutch master cylinder.

Never have i noticed slipping during acceleration, jumping when engaging, or odd smells besides the normal oil burn of a 20 year old car.

Ill add on to that not all the time but once every other Sunday i will put it into revers and as i start to let the clutch up i hear winding like its just missing connection with the gears, so i take it out and back in gear and it goes fine after that. It , again does that rarely and has done that since i got the car and also after i changed the shift linkage change. Probably has nothing to do with it but that is the only thing i can add.

Question is; is it more likely the clutch wheel its self or the master cylinder that had failed causing it not to engage to move the car?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Secondridesat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Secondridesat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Secondridesat is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2020, 10:44 PM   #2
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: 1999 SL2 Manual Transmission/Clutch Issue

Most likely the passenger side half shaft has failed. Been there, done that, got the the shirt.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:52 PM   #3
Secondridesat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
Most likely the passenger side half shaft has failed. Been there, done that, got the the shirt.
Woah really confused now, your telling me it could be none of those and be a CV instead?

just double checking

I never feel a load or connection with the clutch when attempting to engage with engine. rpm don't change.

Last edited by Secondridesat; 01-31-2020 at 11:01 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Secondridesat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-31-2020, 11:00 PM   #4
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Not the CV but under a dampener on the shaft. Somebody here has a picture. What happens is the shaft snaps, then all the power goes to the broken shaft and nothing moves.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-31-2020, 11:02 PM   #5
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Check this:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...t=axle+snapped

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-31-2020, 11:11 PM   #6
Secondridesat

Quote:
Check this:
I believe again we are on different pages, because my manual transmission doesn't grind gears when i don't use the clutch and move the shifter to random spots. No RPM change. stays at 800.

I'm not sure how that effects the events I'm experiencing because i cant even get it in gear.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-31-2020, 11:22 PM   #7
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Ok, my misunderstanding. I would look for a broken shift cable then. Easy to check.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-31-2020, 11:23 PM   #8
Secondridesat

Quote:
Ok, my misunderstanding. I would look for a broken shift cable then. Easy to check.
Bro. lol. I checked it. thanks fer helping tho.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-01-2020, 11:39 AM   #9
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

3 options if the shift cables are intact and moving things on both ends; in order of expense unless the hydraulics cost have come down by about $100 in the last 10 years.
1) Axle snapped, the one with the damper on it is junk because it rusts out the axle leading it to randomly snap and it's only found on the newer models.

2) Hydraulics failed in an odd way, do a wire-test:http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...78&postcount=1

3) Some sort of internal damage, either diff pin (quick check by checking for transmission fluid; long check via video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gqhGC5vKDY) or some other odd unlikely thing you might see with the shift tower off (4 bolts after the battery tray is removed :https://www.cristhomas.com/cars/Clutch/shiftTower.jpg.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:04 PM   #10
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

If you are super sure the levers on top of the shift tower are moving when you move the shifter, then it could still be a broken axle. When mine broke I didn't think to try shifting without the clutch. Maybe the synchos (or friction cones) are able to get the gears up to speed so they engage without grinding. They would not have any resistance from the car.

Edit: I can't see the hydraulics failing with the clutch disengaged. A diff pin failure also seems unlikely and some other catastrophic failure would seem unusual.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-01-2020, 03:01 PM   #11
Secondridesat

Quote:
If you are super sure the levers on top of the shift tower are moving when you move the shifter, then it could still be a broken axle. When mine broke I didn't think to try shifting without the clutch. Maybe the synchos (or friction cones) are able to get the gears up to speed so they engage without grinding. They would not have any resistance from the car.

Edit: I can't see the hydraulics failing with the clutch disengaged. A diff pin failure also seems unlikely and some other catastrophic failure would seem unusual.

I'm not afraid to admit it and when your right your right, got the car home and jacked her up. axle broke passenger side. its amazing I'm able to shift in any gear without use of the clutch with the car on still and no grinding or noise, maybe another problem? but you were both correct and thank you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-01-2020, 05:30 PM   #12
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I bet that is the only problem. Glad you found it!

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!