SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2020, 08:53 PM   #1
ronr533
ronr533 is on a distinguished road

Default How do I remove the Stub Shaft

On my Neighbors 2001 LW200 Im replacing both axles, Wheel bearings and now the Axle seals since they show signs of leaking.

? How do I remove the Stub Axle that was left inside the transmission when I pulled the axles out.
I need to pull them in order to replace the seals.

Any info or pointers about doing this job would be great.
I've got all my parts, already pressed in my new wheel bearings.
I'm assuming I try grabbing them with some channel locks and pulling them out but hate to chew up the splines.
Thank you in advance

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ronr533's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ronr533 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ronr533 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2020, 10:20 AM   #2
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: How do I remove the Stub Shaft

My son had the driveshafts replaced last year on his L300. I had my indi garage do the job. On one side, the stub axle came out with the driveshaft. On the other side I believe he simply gave it a good yank.

The stub is held in by small circlips which compress enough to let the stub come out.

You need to replace other components at the same time. The link to RA below shows the seal kit er side. It comprises two bearings and two circlips.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...haft+seal,2336

Sorry can't be of more help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:41 PM   #3
ronr533

Yes I have the seal kits and I am familiar with the C ring that's on each end of the stub shaft.
In some cases when people pull the axle the stub shaft comes out with it however mine did not.
The problem is that there is a special tool that grabs the stub shaft on the slot where the C ring is.
Here is a photo of the tool I need to use unless someone has a better Idea on how to remove it.
Thank you
stub remover.jpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ronr533 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-22-2020, 07:13 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Are driveshafts held in xmissions by a C-clip? The cv driveshaft would have a C-slip about a 1/4 inch from the end. The groove deep enough to allow the C-slip to compress when the shaft is pressed into the xmission hub splines until a matching groove captures the C-clip with a resounding click. Removal would be GMs slap hammer to create the greatest force to force the C-slip to compress, releasing its grip from the drive hub for removal. Gentle persuasion won't cut it.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:20 PM   #5
ronr533

Im trying to avoid buying the $105 dollar tool that I posted in the photo. It will only be used this one time for both sides.
I've been trying a sink Faucet style slide hammer tool but does not have enough hammer action to smack it back out. Kind of sucks as I wish it had come out when I pulled the axle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-23-2020, 07:48 AM   #6
Dsaturn
Dsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really nice

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I do not know if this will work or not but it is worth a try. Get some good strong paracord, make a noose for axle stub then tie other end to a pry bar. Place pry bar close to trans as possible then pry out on paracord. If prying wont work rent slam hammer from Autozone, Tie paracord onto slide hammer then try to pound it out.

https://www.infowars.com/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 03:41 PM   #7
Russet
Russet has a spectacular aura aboutRusset has a spectacular aura about

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

That shouldn't happen when you use pry bars on the axle close to the port where it goes in it should pop out both the stub-shaft that is attached to the main axle. I know this as I have done this before otherwise you got other mechanical problems. And once it's out I use a mallet not "Metal" that and pound on the main axle housing and that pops out the main axle releasing the stub-axle to attach to the new axle.

So goes hold onto the stub-shaft and hit the metal housing on the main axle in rotation going around the housing and that should release the stub-shaft from the main axle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote