SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Relay > Relay General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 06:53 PM   #1
Xanatos
Xanatos is on a distinguished road

Default GM Releases Names Of New Crossover Sport Vans

DETROIT - General Motors Corp. (NYSE: GM) announced the names of its four new crossover sport van (CSV) entries that will debut as 2005 models. Delivering an optimal blend of mid-van versatility with SUV-like attributes, the new models take the segment in a new direction and help GM compete across a broader range of the highly competitive people and cargo-carrying marketplace.

The new 2005 CSV products will be:

* Buick Terraza, the third entry in Buick's truck portfolio. Terraza will complement Rendezvous and Rainier by delivering another premium, refined experience that blends the best qualities of Buick sedans with the utility that today's marketplace demands. Terraza will compete at the upper end of the segment and continue the trend started with Rendezvous to pull new customers into the Buick showroom. Terraza was selected after consumers said the name has a luxurious, yet rugged image and conveyed a strong vehicle with comfort features.

* Chevrolet Uplander, another addition to Chevy's growing portfolio of crossover vehicles that includes the Equinox and Malibu Maxx. Uplander will feature improved interior refinement, a next-generation entertainment system and a long list of safety and convenience features.

* Saturn RELAY, a flexible people carrier with interior appointments reflecting the direction of future Saturn vehicles, which will help continue to grow the brand by attracting a new group of customers. It will also help Saturn meet the needs of existing Saturn owners with growing families and active lifestyles. The name 'RELAY,' associated with motion and movement, conveys the vehicle's ability to connect people and their destinations.

* Pontiac Montana SV6, featuring new SUV-like design, interior refinements and an array of features. Current owners have valued the Montana for its unique sporty appearance and versatility - qualities enhanced even further by the new look and features of the SV6.

"The crossover sport vans will be different from anything available today in the mid-van category," said Anna Kretz, GM vehicle line executive overseeing the new entries. The new vehicles will combine outstanding ride and handling, compelling styling, and convenient features such as power sliding doors. Production will begin in the fourth quarter of 2004.

The new CSVs are intended to bolster GM's sales and market coverage in the mid-van category - one of the automotive industry's most competitive categories.

The GM Doraville Assembly Plant, near Atlanta, Georgia, will manufacture all four of GM's crossover sport vans, continuing a tradition of high-quality vans built in a very productive environment. The Oldsmobile Silhouette, currently produced at GM Doraville, is the highest-ranked compact van in Initial Quality, according to the J.D. Power and Associates 2003 Initial Quality Study.SM In addition, for two years in a row, GM Doraville ranked as the No. 1 plant in its segment in terms of productivity, according to The Harbour Report North America 2003 and The Harbour Report North America 2002.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Xanatos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Xanatos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2003, 07:00 PM   #2
Xanatos

Hopefully they release PICTURES soon. None are on the GM Media site yet.

I think the latest we should see them is the 2004 NYIAS.

Are there any auto shows coming up before the first of the year?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Xanatos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2003, 07:29 PM   #3
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

No talk of polymer for the Saturn version and if they are all coming off the same plant the differences between all 4 may very well be minor visual changes and what brand they glue on.

Granted the Ion has the ecotec and is on a platform that other GM cars will use, but it still has full polymer and is rolling out of Springhill. All Saturns should be clad in polymer, otherwise everyone complaining about the same cars with different badges have very strong points.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2003, 08:14 PM   #4
TommyH
TommyH is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

This is a disapointment.

General Motors has lost the faith of one more person. I may buy an ION Redline or a 2004 L300 V6 but will now take a much harder look at the competition, and may be lost from the fold. I know that even if I do buy either one of these cars it will most likely be my last. I'm sorry General but you have lost my faith. I realize that one customer does not mean spit to you. You have millions of customers in America alone, and I am just a drop in the bucket of those who purchased cars from you.

Your bucket has a hole in it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TommyH's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TommyH reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2003, 08:31 PM   #5
mikthehickNC
mikthehickNC is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
1996 SL1

Oh well--it'll be interesting to see how it does. I won't be buying one, but rather, a car. I've never liked minivans.

2005 Mazda6 Hatch

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikthehickNC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikthehickNC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2003, 09:20 PM   #6
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

Might be just the ticket for me. My wife's Buick Rendezvous lease is over in March 2006. I need something with lots of interior room for cargo. I'll go for the cheapest; probably Chev. As for a Saturn Relay, probably not. The so-called touchy feely personal stuff isn't worth the no-haggle price, especially if polymer isn't involved.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2003, 09:49 PM   #7
Yankeez
Yankeez is on a distinguished road

I think another vehicle is good move for Saturn. All the other big automakers are sharing platforms within thier brands. It is just the way it is done.

I am just wondering how it will be sporty with sliding doors. Anyway for family trips and light homeowner type hauling jobs. It seems like good idea. Especially if they actually do make it sporty.

I'm perfectly happy with the level of performance in our L300. It's a great family car with just enough performance. If they can match that with a bigger vehicle. I would go for it.

I would rather buy a Saturn version because of the service at my dealer. I would also like to "order" my Relay and Saturn is the easiest brand around to get what you wan't without haggaling around.

I just wish they will take GM credit card earnings full time by then. Our L300 will be paid off in the fall of 2006. I've got three more years to rack up more earnings. I'm at $1,100 now

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Yankeez's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Yankeez reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2003, 10:43 PM   #8
Hiddenlites
Advanced Member
Hiddenlites is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally posted by TommyH
This is a disapointment.

General Motors has lost the faith of one more person. I may buy an ION Redline or a 2004 L300 V6 but will now take a much harder look at the competition, and may be lost from the fold. I know that even if I do buy either one of these cars it will most likely be my last. I'm sorry General but you have lost my faith. I realize that one customer does not mean spit to you. You have millions of customers in America alone, and I am just a drop in the bucket of those who purchased cars from you.

Your bucket has a hole in it.
My interest in GM's product line is dwindling also. The styling on a lot of their new cars no longer appeals to me. Next year the lease expires on my S-10 and I will most likely buy a Silverado/Sierra. I've got a good sum of GM Card earnings racked up, so I might as well put them to good use. Plus I don't like any of the other full-size trucks out there.

I'm cruising around in a '04 F-150 right now. I love how it looks (mostly, but it's got an ugly ass) and drives, but there are a couple of things that annoy me enough not to buy one.

1993 Saturn SC2 75k
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2008 Saturn VUE Redline 175k sold 7/8/16
2013 Honda Accord Coupe
2016 GMC Acadia

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hiddenlites's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hiddenlites reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-09-2003, 09:34 AM   #9
haypops
haypops is on a distinguished road

Hiddenlites: Please tell us more about f150 short comings. This is an important vehicle and its short commings could reflect other less expensive Ford products.

Any one: the article refers to the vans as mid-vans. Is this just public relations for a new mini van or is there really something going on here. I always thought of the rear drive Astro van as a mid van of sorts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to haypops's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help haypops reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-09-2003, 09:54 AM   #10
spork
spork is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Does that mean it is going to be bigger than a Voyager/Caravan? They are considered mini vans. If it is larger, I sure as heck wouldn't want one. It's bad enough that it will be metal and not plastic.

"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spork's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spork reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-09-2003, 10:53 AM   #11
pkschul
Advanced Member
pkschul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Hiddenlites
My interest in GM's product line is dwindling also. The styling on a lot of their new cars no longer appeals to me. Next year the lease expires on my S-10 and I will most likely buy a Silverado/Sierra. I've got a good sum of GM Card earnings racked up, so I might as well put them to good use. Plus I don't like any of the other full-size trucks out there.

I'm cruising around in a '04 F-150 right now. I love how it looks (mostly, but it's got an ugly ass) and drives, but there are a couple of things that annoy me enough not to buy one.
Have you seen the new Chevy Colorado? That is one nice looking truck. Not quite full size, but bigger than the S-10. I'm guessing it's Dodge Dakota sized.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pkschul's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pkschul reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-09-2003, 11:15 AM   #12
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

big yawn. wake me when gm announces the pontiac solstice (and saturn sky) are ready.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-09-2003, 11:18 PM   #13
Hiddenlites
Advanced Member
Hiddenlites is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

I'm aware of the Colorado and the Canyon. I don't like to buy vehicles when they are in their first model year, so I haven't really looked too much into them. The lease is up on my S-10 next year, so I've been looking at the full size line, so that I can get a full-length bench in the back of the cab. I don't know how useable they would be for adults on the mid-sizers.

As far as the F-150 goes, I don't like that the wheels that came with mine are the same ones that are used on (or very similar to) Escapes, but that one could easily be solved. The two things that annoy me the most is that the jack is stored on the floor under the seat cushion of the rear bench on the extended cab. So I don't have a flat floor when I fold up the bench. I'm not sure where the other manufactures locate the jack, but I think there's a place the engineers could have put it where it would have been more out of the way. Then the F-150 front doors have styling similar to the Super Duties where the bottom line for the window is not straight. It makes for a crappy arm rest when the window is rolled down. If it weren't for those couple of things this long-time GM guy would seriously consider switching to the Blue Oval next year.

1993 Saturn SC2 75k
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2008 Saturn VUE Redline 175k sold 7/8/16
2013 Honda Accord Coupe
2016 GMC Acadia

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hiddenlites's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hiddenlites reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-10-2003, 07:27 AM   #14
benson500
benson500 is on a distinguished road

This works for me. I'll be in the market for a new mini-van around the time of this release. My wife drives an Oldsmobile Silhouette and we will no doubt buy another GM. I'd rather buy the Saturn brand and recognize that it would too much to ask GM to fund the development of a unique van for Saturn. If this is the only way for Saturn to offer a mini-van, then so be it. Plastic panels have a size limitation and a van probably exceeds the practicality of using polymers efficiently.

I'll also wait to pass judgement on this sharing of platforms until I actually SEE them -- I think GM is doing the right thing with the Delta platform. Before I cast stones about the minis being complete clones with a different badge "glued on", I'd like to see what they have planned. I suspect we may be pleasantly surprised.

GM's building some good stuff right now, this isn't a bad time for Saturn to be "sharing" some of it.

[I]Former owner: '93 SC2 and '03 ION3.....[/I]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to benson500's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help benson500 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-10-2003, 12:29 PM   #15
miwimiwi
miwimiwi is on a distinguished road

Do you know when are we gonna see some pistures of that
new serie of CSV !? the drawing should be completed at this time,
so why do they hide them. Somebody have a clue where to dig on
the internet to find this ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to miwimiwi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help miwimiwi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-10-2003, 04:49 PM   #16
Xanatos

Quote:
Originally posted by miwimiwi
Do you know when are we gonna see some pistures of that
new serie of CSV !? the drawing should be completed at this time,
so why do they hide them. Somebody have a clue where to dig on
the internet to find this ?
There are no pictures released as of yet of any of the 4 vans, nor are there any sketches (that I've seen).

Most likely they won't be showing them until the 2004 Detroit Auto Show or LA Auto Show. (Next major auto shows).

I know I said NYIAS previously, that was incorrect sorry!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-10-2003, 06:22 PM   #17
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Default Relay?

ION

Relay

What next? The Switch - an Avalanche type multi-purpose truck, The Fuse - a Daewoo built Saturn that will blow out when run too hard, The Socket - a 3 seat, center driving position electric car???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-10-2003, 07:17 PM   #18
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by Xanatos
There are no pictures released as of yet of any of the 4 vans, nor are there any sketches (that I've seen).

Most likely they won't be showing them until the 2004 Detroit Auto Show or LA Auto Show. (Next major auto shows).

I know I said NYIAS previously, that was incorrect sorry!
I'm thinking Saturn would want to get maximum exposure for the Red Line models at L.A. and Detroit. I see the Relay CSV making its debut at Chicago or New York.

I'm interested most in what powertrain combo GM will employ for the crossover sport vans, since I doubt their new 6-speed auto tranny will be ready in time and the 185-hp 3.4L V6 is on the way out. My money is on the 3500 from the Malibu and the Aisin AF-33 HD 5-speed AT from the V6 VUE.

By that time, I am likely to be putting a new ION Red Line through its paces.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread