SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
XTRevolution
XTRevolution is on a distinguished road

Default 2002 Saturn L200 Strut/Spring Issue

Hey guys,

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. It's hard to determine the difference between what should be in "General" and what should be in "Technical."

A brief overview first of who I am. I go by the handle XtremeRevolution on other boards. I own a 2012 Chevy Cruze, and am the Administrator of CruzeTalk.com.

My mother in law owns a 2002 (might be a 2001) Saturn L100. She recently went over some railroad tracks and heard a loud bang in the back of her car. It turns out that one of her springs (I forget exactly which side) had broken off of the saucer on which it used to rest. I have not yet determined if the spring actually cracked or if the saucer/mount on the bottom broke, but the spring is off the strut and the car sags on that side.

Neeldess to say, I need to have it fixed, but I've run into the issue of there not being any replacement springs to be found aftermarket. She took it to a shop where a mechanic looked it over briefly and claimed the spring was broken, but when I lifted the car, I could not say for certain that a broken spring was the case.

I figured since you guys own these cars, you might know what I should be looking for, or what particular trouble areas or common failures are for these vehicles. The car has about 65k miles on it and she unfortunately doesn't take very good care of it. Car has lived its life in Northern IL.

Any assistance you can offer me will be greatly appreciated. I've subscribed to this thread so I can be instantly notified by e-mail of any responses.

Thanks,

XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XTRevolution's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XTRevolution reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XTRevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: 2002 Saturn L200 Strut/Spring Issue

Welcome to Saturnfans! I, like you, am not certain of the difference between the general forum versus the technical forum. We're probably not alone with such a thought! So I just choose which one seems like the best fit for the message.

As for the broken rear spring, you'd need to get underneath the car or remove the rear wheel to get a close look at the spring as it sits on the strut and inside of the carrier (top end). You are correct about there being no aftermarket direct replacements for these springs. The choices are to purchase a new OE spring or search wrecking yards. The link below is a source for wrecking yards.

http://www.car-part.com/index.htm

298,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:03 AM   #3
Jonnyferrari
Jonnyferrari is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

My spring broke, and only the short end of it that bends inwards...it does have an effect, as the spring becomes loose, but the part can get lost on the road and there is little evidence until it comes out. I had to buy OEM springs as no aftermarkets were available. Good luck $$!

[Sold] 2000 Saturn LS2 premium package; 120k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonnyferrari's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonnyferrari reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonnyferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:23 PM   #4
FutureSat
FutureSat has a spectacular aura aboutFutureSat has a spectacular aura aboutFutureSat has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL1
2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Post Re: 2002 Saturn L200 Strut/Spring Issue

With the L series Springs being discontinued by Saturn, Do L series sedans have to be replaced with L series Sedan Springs & Struts, & L Series Wagon be replaced with only L series wagon struts & Springs? I know that that L series Sedan & Wagon Struts and Springs will fit each other, but since parts are becoming more scarce could owners salvage off Sedan & wagons interchangeably or is the Rear Sag going to be an issue with Sedan rear strut&springs on a wagon.

Thoughts?

Thx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FutureSat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FutureSat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FutureSat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 01:06 PM   #5
soulsurvives
soulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to all

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTRevolution View Post
Hey guys,

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. It's hard to determine the difference between what should be in "General" and what should be in "Technical."

A brief overview first of who I am. I go by the handle XtremeRevolution on other boards. I own a 2012 Chevy Cruze, and am the Administrator of CruzeTalk.com.

My mother in law owns a 2002 (might be a 2001) Saturn L100. She recently went over some railroad tracks and heard a loud bang in the back of her car. It turns out that one of her springs (I forget exactly which side) had broken off of the saucer on which it used to rest. I have not yet determined if the spring actually cracked or if the saucer/mount on the bottom broke, but the spring is off the strut and the car sags on that side.

Neeldess to say, I need to have it fixed, but I've run into the issue of there not being any replacement springs to be found aftermarket. She took it to a shop where a mechanic looked it over briefly and claimed the spring was broken, but when I lifted the car, I could not say for certain that a broken spring was the case.

I figured since you guys own these cars, you might know what I should be looking for, or what particular trouble areas or common failures are for these vehicles. The car has about 65k miles on it and she unfortunately doesn't take very good care of it. Car has lived its life in Northern IL.

Any assistance you can offer me will be greatly appreciated. I've subscribed to this thread so I can be instantly notified by e-mail of any responses.

Thanks,

XR
just go to a junkyard and get the entire strut/spring assembly....4 bolts hold it to the body and one nut holds it to the rear trailing arm....easiest and cheapest way to go...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to soulsurvives's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help soulsurvives reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
soulsurvives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 01:12 PM   #6
soulsurvives
soulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to all

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureSat View Post
With the L series Springs being discontinued by Saturn, Do L series sedans have to be replaced with L series Sedan Springs & Struts, & L Series Wagon be replaced with only L series wagon struts & Springs? I know that that L series Sedan & Wagon Struts and Springs will fit each other, but since parts are becoming more scarce could owners salvage off Sedan & wagons interchangeably or is the Rear Sag going to be an issue with Sedan rear strut&springs on a wagon.

Thoughts?

Thx
since the wagon is a little heavier than the sedan springs from a sedan might cause a wagon to sag a little or it might not...i did use springs from a wagon on a sedan without noticing any real difference...the wagon only weighs a couple hundred pounds than the sedan if that much....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to soulsurvives's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help soulsurvives reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
soulsurvives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:26 PM   #7
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

There must be some difference between the rear coil springs for a wagon (LW200) and a sedan (L200) since there are different p/n's for them:

Wagon - http://www.gmpartscenter.net/auto-pa...omponents-scat

Sedan - http://www.gmpartscenter.net/auto-pa...omponents-scat

I do not doubt the previous member's statement about installing wagon springs on a sedan. It's quite possible that the difference in spring rate between the wagon and the sedan isn't particularly noticeable.

298,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:33 PM   #8
FutureSat
FutureSat has a spectacular aura aboutFutureSat has a spectacular aura aboutFutureSat has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL1
2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

I installed complete rear strut assemblies on my L wagon from another L200 Sedan from a Upull it yard. I haven't noticed any difference. if the rear end is loaded up with heavy objects in the wagon there is a sag.. but that is expected with any suspension. so its all good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FutureSat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FutureSat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FutureSat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:30 PM   #9
born again
born again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of light

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

This may sound a bit off the wall, but I had this happen and fixed it in somewhat redneck fashion. Because the shock was still working OK and not leaking, I decided to fix it by making a new spring seat. I used a 2" dia. steel flat washer and cut it across so I had two "C" shaped pieces. The entire strut was removed and I put my spring compressor on to retract the spring. I welded the washer pieces to the shock spring seat flange and to each other. This worked extremely well as only a small piece had broken off the end of the spring. The shock is so old I didn't think I could remove the nut on the shaft without completely destroying it. This way I didn't need to. You do need to be careful not to weld to the shock tube as the heat would ruin it. I don't recommend this method for the 99% who don't have welding and fabricating skills.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote