SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2007, 02:52 PM   #1
nate_03Ion
nate_03Ion is on a distinguished road

Default Pictures from inside spring hill saturn plant

These are some pictures I took from inside the plant on the last two days we worked.

General assembly (this was the line I worked on)

Windshield robots and the hoist used to install the windsheild ( one of my jobs was installing glass)

Another shot up the line, the cars have no windshield, no back glass, no seats and no body panels at this point.

This is the gate where the cars exit this line and go to another.

Front end of the car and the sequence paper ( this has various codes for wiring, interior and exterior colors, wheels, etc.

Thats when the last one starting coming down. ( the orange racks you see in the picture is where the A-B-C pillars were installed thats another one of my jobs)

Vue line in general assembly.

give me a second while I get the pictures all posted.. so the thread looks empty now accidently he post before adding the pics

Last edited by nate_03Ion; 04-07-2007 at 03:05 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nate_03Ion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nate_03Ion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nate_03Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2007, 03:27 PM   #2
nate_03Ion

Default Re: Pictures from inside spring hill saturn plant

Second round of pictures.

Ion final line ( you will notice all the cars are white thats somthing they do at the beginning and the end of production, it has somthing to do with being an cheaper and easier color to produce.

Another shot from final line.

Ion engine dyno test. Every car gets the test before moving on, all you can smell is burnt rubber in this area.

This is where they park the cars before shipping them out, sorry about the pic being dark.

Vues parked outside for shipping, as you can see there is literaly a field of Vues and Ions as far as you can see.

Vue about to roll of the final line.

Ion being repaired.

Well thats about it everyone.. There is alot more to see than what I showed you but I didnt have a lot of time to take pictures everywhere. It was alot of fun working there and seeing how our Ions and Vues are built.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help nate_03Ion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2007, 06:35 PM   #3
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

WOW !! Charlie: this ought to be a sticky.
Thanks. That was really impressive coverage. Truly an historic moment and you captured it. I can't say enough in appreciation. Easy to imagine my own white ION 4 door coming down that same line. Funny, I thought they were nose to tail all this time. What a trip.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:38 PM   #4
Chevy_Rules
Chevy_Rules is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

What did that lazy POS UAW worker do to that Ion that was being repaired right off of assembly?

Seriously, good pics. I love to see pics/movies of cars on the assembly line. Love to see how our babies get assembled.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chevy_Rules's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chevy_Rules reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chevy_Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:45 PM   #5
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Thanks for the pics! I haven't been to the plant since the VUE and ION started production.

It would have been nice it they could have printed the dymo results and left it in the car for the owners...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 10.3.5 Public Beta 6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 07:21 PM   #6
nate_03Ion

Your very welcome guys. I had a good time taking the pics.. And the whole plant looks totaly different than I thought the first time I seen it. lol as far as that repair goes on the ion, I have no idea what happend to it, but you'd be suprised. Twice while I worked there we had two back glass explode from stress and the whole car had to be taken apart to clean the glass out. And yeah it would have been cool if they would have left the dyno sheet in it. My dad actually took some video out at the plant so if possible I will try to get some of it up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-07-2007, 08:57 PM   #7
mkuz13
Advanced Member
mkuz13 is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE
Thumbs Up Re: Pictures from inside spring hill saturn plant

Thanks alot for the pics! It would be interesting to see the videos
Now Ive seen parts of the Spring Hill Plant as well as the Mitsubishi Plant in Normal,Ill. and the Hyundai Plant in Alabama.

Want more gun control? Then use both hands.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mkuz13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mkuz13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mkuz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:24 PM   #8
10974 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

GREAT PIC's!!! I only wish I've could been there.(for a tour)....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 10974's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 10974 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
10974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:12 PM   #9
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

One of these days I should upload the couple hours of video I have from inside the plant.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:49 PM   #10
Nuke-Em
Nuke-Em is on a distinguished road

Very cool

Matt

If God had intended driving to be boring, he would have given us all Toyota's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nuke-Em's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nuke-Em reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nuke-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:45 PM   #11
Spanky
Spanky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation84 View Post
Funny, I thought they were nose to tail all this time. What a trip.
Yeah, I've been to quite a few assembly plants, and they have always been nose to tail. I've never seen cars going down the line side by side. Good pics.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spanky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spanky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:30 PM   #12
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Sometimes they're nose to tail, sometimes they are side to side... Just depends on what section of the spring hill plant they are in.

in his last picture you see the VUEs nose to tail on the line. It just depends on what area of the plant you're in as to how they are.

13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:52 PM   #13
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Great pics - thanks for posting. Neat to see them for sure.

So the new Saturn workers can understand: Gran pics - gracias por fijar. Aseado para verlas para seguro.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:46 AM   #14
Greenhornet
Greenhornet will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by piney View Post
Great pics - thanks for posting. Neat to see them for sure.

So the new Saturn workers can understand: Gran pics - gracias por fijar. Aseado para verlas para seguro.
Great photos to be sure, so why are tears welling in my eyes and why do I feel so empty and sad?

Hornet

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Greenhornet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Greenhornet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Greenhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:55 PM   #15
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Ah..memories. Though I never saw the VUE or ION being produced, it still looks (looked) very similiar. And it is good to see that it is (was) still kept remarkably clean considering what was being done on a daily basis. I was always impressed watching the robots doing their various tasks. And the "bad robot" room where one would occasionally wind up when it went a little nuts for some unknown reason after getting its job right a few hundred thousand times. (LOL) I can still remeber also, as I met various people in the plant, how everyone always seemed to have a very positive attitude and a genuine smile on their faces...of course that was in 1996....

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:34 AM   #16
irish56
Advanced Member
irish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really nice

1999 SC1

Makes me sad. I hope they make Saturns in Spring Hill again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to irish56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help irish56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
irish56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:24 PM   #17
red96
red96 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish56 View Post
They could someday

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to red96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help red96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
red96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:01 PM   #18
nate_03Ion

Yeah I wish they would, we can only hope.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-18-2007, 06:07 PM   #19
wei_
wei_ is on a distinguished road

*cries over all the memories of Homecoming '99* Thank you for sharing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wei_'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wei_ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wei_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:24 PM   #20
DesertPuma
DesertPuma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish56 View Post
I have a sinking feeling that they won't, if they were, I don't think they would have shifted the VUE to Mexico (unless it was due to the polymer sides being eliminated), as the VUE is not changing platforms (but everything else is )

Now a proud Subie owner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DesertPuma's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DesertPuma reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DesertPuma is offline   Reply With Quote