SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2012, 02:17 AM   #1
swokcguy
swokcguy is on a distinguished road

Default 2000 LS2 rough idle, hesitant take off

Newbie to this site and I have read quite a few of the other threads relating to this issue, but haven't seen any definitive answers. Seems that most are waiting on mechanic responses.

I'm working on a car for a friend, it is a 2000 LS2 3.0 auto. She had a mechanic check the previous codes and came back with MAF sensor, multiple misfires and possible O2 sensor. I first looked at the car a couple days ago and we replaced the MAF sensor. Disconnected the battery to reset codes and she says the car seems to run better and no lights came on at all (SES, loss of power or the wrench). Test drove the car and it is still very hesitant taking off. Once up to a decent speed (35-40 in town and 60-70 hwy), still hesistant. On the hwy at 60, kick into passing gear and the car slowly responds, then wants to take off like it has a tirbo after about 5-10 seconds and the same in town speeds.

I have verified the dbw system as I read on another post here and it seems to be spot on.

As for the car, it has 91,000 and was meticulously taken care of. The previous owner has receipts for everything. New fuel pump 2 years ago, new timing belt, serp belt last year, all oil changes done regularly, new plugs and I replaced the fuel filter 2 days ago.

Any help / ideas would be greatly appreciated. Seems like there are a few choices from reading other posts, but I really don't like throwing parts to try and fix the issue. When I left the car 2 days ago it was idling fine just hesitant, now she says the car barely runs. I'm going over tomorrow to see what else I can test and come up with. I'm very capable of working on vehicles, just prefer the older ones!

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to swokcguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help swokcguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
swokcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2000 LS2 rough idle, hesitant take off

Catalytic converter falling apart and blocking exhaust flow? Maximum back pressure; 0.7 psi/ 5 kPa/ 20 H2O.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
swokcguy

If it were a clogged catcon it should trigger an O2 sensor which in turn would trigger an SES or wrench right? I'm thinking out loud since there are pre and post catcon O2's.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help swokcguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

While its easy to be armchair quarterbacking on a pc, you still have to put your hands on approach to the car...........................

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-26-2012, 03:33 AM   #5
swokcguy

The cats are not falling apart. Any other suggestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-26-2012, 06:01 AM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Did a pressure check to be sure?

A member swore he checked all his fuses and went on a wild goose chase, distracting everyone here (including me) with more issues until he went back and pulled every fuse out - only to find a blown one.......................

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
swokcguy

Will check them all this evening hopefully. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
swokcguy

My friend just called and said the SES light finally came on again. Took it to parts store and the code says "system too rich on bank 1 and 2". Ever had this one? I checked the vacuum hoses and only found one that was "crusty" so I replaced it, that hose went to the throttle body.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-26-2012, 06:37 PM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

What are the codes?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #10
rosetylerr
rosetylerr is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by swokcguy View Post
My friend just called and said the SES light finally came on again. Took it to parts store and the code says "system too rich on bank 1 and 2". Ever had this one? I checked the vacuum hoses and only found one that was "crusty" so I replaced it, that hose went to the throttle body.
That was the same code mine had before it went to the mechanic, then it came out of the mechanic with 6 different codes and lost power several times. >.<! Once I find out I will let you know.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rosetylerr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rosetylerr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rosetylerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #11
swokcguy

The codes are P0172 and P0175

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2012, 07:25 PM   #12
rosetylerr
rosetylerr is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I just got a call and they are replacing the computer...again. THIS time they said that when they put a new MAF in the computer still reads the old part. I asked if they can reprogram the current one and they said that you can't. He is putting it in tomorrow totalling $800 so far...=(

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rosetylerr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rosetylerr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rosetylerr is offline   Reply With Quote