SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2020, 12:34 PM   #1
97SL2guy
97SL2guy is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
Dizzy Power Window master switches NOT lit up!

I checked and checked this forum and all over Google but found nothing helpful, so I decided to post this.

My owners manual clearly states the power window switches are illuminated, but mine never worked. Since the car was so poorly maintained, I just figured it was a matter of the bulbs being burned out. So, since they symbols were worn off anyway, I found brand new ones on eBay for like $12!!! The cool thing is that the one I got on eBay is even nicer than the stock master control! BUT... it doesn't light up either!

Anyone else have this issue with their Ion? Do your master switches actually light up like most cars? Since replacing the master switch panel didn't light them up, I'm assuming it's a problem with some kind of connection. The nice thing is that at least all my windows work fine. It's just annoying to have to feel around at night for the correct switch. Would be nice it they were lit up like every car I've owned in the past.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Sold the 97 SL2 and bought a 06 Ion! SO MUCH NICER car! Problem is, I don't think there is a way to change my username, so I'm leaving my username alone until I figure out if/how it can be changed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 97SL2guy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 97SL2guy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
97SL2guy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2020, 03:55 AM   #2
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really nice

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: Power Window master switches NOT lit up!

This is the circuit diagram for the switch.
On the right side, it clearly shows there is a LED for lighting the switch.
If you still have the old switch, You could try this test to see if the LED can light. Put +12V on Connector 1 Pin A and -12V on Connector 1 pin E using a couple of jumper wires.
If it lights, you likely have a broken GRY wire in the grommet between the door and body or somewhere along the way to where it connects to the illumination circuit. I believe that if the BLK (ground) wire was broken, none of the windows would work. You could clean up the ground connection under the driver seat. It's possible that a poor connection here could cause the LED not to light but the windows to operate but slower than they should.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ion2 2006 pwr window switch 1.jpg (83.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg ion2 2006 pwr window switch.jpg (115.8 KB, 10 views)

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to imaddicted2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help imaddicted2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:24 PM   #3
97SL2guy

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Thanks! I'll check that! I do still have the old master switch panel since it works, just worn symbols and it didn't light up. Yeah, I'll open it up. And I'll open the new one too if and make sure there is even a light inside it. After all, for less than $12 you never know what you're getting.

Sold the 97 SL2 and bought a 06 Ion! SO MUCH NICER car! Problem is, I don't think there is a way to change my username, so I'm leaving my username alone until I figure out if/how it can be changed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 97SL2guy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2020, 02:18 PM   #4
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really nice

2008 AURA XE

No need to open them up, put 12 volts on the pins I noted, even a 9 volt battery should light the LED. Just make sure you have the polarity right. When you do, I'm pretty sure it will light up.

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to imaddicted2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help imaddicted2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 03:41 PM   #5
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaddicted2u View Post
This is the circuit diagram for the switch.
On the right side, it clearly shows there is a LED for lighting the switch.
If you still have the old switch, You could try this test to see if the LED can light. Put +12V on Connector 1 Pin A and -12V on Connector 1 pin E using a couple of jumper wires.
If it lights, you likely have a broken GRY wire in the grommet between the door and body or somewhere along the way to where it connects to the illumination circuit. I believe that if the BLK (ground) wire was broken, none of the windows would work. You could clean up the ground connection under the driver seat. It's possible that a poor connection here could cause the LED not to light but the windows to operate but slower than they should.
None of the switches on any of the doors are illuminated, and neither is the dimmer switch itself.

I wondered the same thing when I replaced my master power window switch last year. The old switch never lit up and the new one doesn't either. Strangely, the diagram I looked at also shows the LED, but no dedicated feed from the I/P lighting circuit for it.

I suppose a sedan could be different (I have a quad coupe), but not likely. I'm confident the wiring diagrams and owner's manual are inaccurate.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 182K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 195K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 46K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:30 AM   #6
joethesmith
joethesmith is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
I'm confident the wiring diagrams and owner's manual are inaccurate.
I agree that the diagrams are inaccurate. The buttons for the window up/down are just painted on (which is why they always rub off after a fairly short period of time) and it is just a solid black/grey/tan piece of plastic with no openings for light to pass through. Unlike the cruise control switches on the steering wheel that are made to have back lighting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to joethesmith's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help joethesmith reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
joethesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:55 PM   #7
97SL2guy

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
None of the switches on any of the doors are illuminated, and neither is the dimmer switch itself.
Oh, GREAT! LOL! I kind of suspected something wasn't right when a brand new aftermarket master switch didn't light up either. But then why would the wiring diagram show a wire from the light circuit going to it? Odd.

Apparently the owners manual WAS wrong, unless that was some special option you had to pay extra for.

I wouldn't care if any of the other switches lit up, but it would certainly be nice if the master switches lit up. But I'm sure I'll survive.

Thanks everyone!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2020, 01:59 PM   #8
97SL2guy

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Just got a crazy thought... I wonder if there IS an LED inside the master switch, if I could just tap power off the main power wire coming to the switch! Well, I know I can do it because I'm really good at 12v wiring stuff, but the question is rather should I waste my time trying. Going to open my old master switch and see if there IS any type of LED or light in it, then I'll know if I can sleep better.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2020, 02:11 PM   #9
97SL2guy

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Apparently you can buy these master switches at Walmart, IF you're willing to pay $4500 MORE than you paid for the entire car! LOL! Just found this ad while google searching! Reminds me of the $35,000 sleeping bag I found on Walmart's website last year!https://www.walmart.com/ip/Master-Po...4398/139958653

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-06-2020, 02:15 AM   #10
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97SL2guy View Post
Just got a crazy thought... I wonder if there IS an LED inside the master switch, if I could just tap power off the main power wire coming to the switch! Well, I know I can do it because I'm really good at 12v wiring stuff, but the question is rather should I waste my time trying. Going to open my old master switch and see if there IS any type of LED or light in it, then I'll know if I can sleep better.
I attempted to salvage/repair my switch before replacing it. I can confirm the PCB inside of the switch (at least the two window switch for the quad coupe) does not have an LED on it.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 182K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 195K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 46K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:30 PM   #11
97SL2guy

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Thanks. I'll skip the waste of time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!