SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2011, 02:39 AM   #1
Maroon97SL
Maroon97SL is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SL1
Default What do you think this noise is? (HD video inside)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS3-f-GIf8Y

Some info about the car. 97 Saturn SL1 Auto Trans 152k

Recent work. This ticking noise came at the same time my tensioner failed. I have since replaced the tensioner and the idler pulley. The only other thing I think it is, the belt or timing chain tensioner? I found a video on youtube but a DOHC that had the same noise, the guy said it was his Timing chain tensioner. I rather spend 20$ for a belt rather than 120$ for a timing chain kit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Maroon97SL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Maroon97SL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Maroon97SL is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2011, 02:52 AM   #2
Warshark73
Warshark73 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
Default Re: What do you think this noise is? (HD video inside)

What's the condition of that upper engine mount? To me, there seemed to be a bit too much movement on that upper mount for slight blips of the throttle. And the rattle at 0:16 matched the side-to-side rocking of the engine perfectly. It could be that the mount separated into two pieces and bangs against itself, causing that rattle.

Overkill is underrated

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Warshark73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Warshark73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Warshark73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:24 AM   #3
Maroon97SL

2000 SL2
1997 SL1

I had the motor mount off today when I replaced the idler pully. What would "bad" look like.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Maroon97SL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-08-2011, 05:07 AM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon97SL View Post
What would "bad" look like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWN3tplXr8U he explains testing the good mount.
The bad mount has 2 dots where the rubber was injected and a "cutout" directly below that make it look like ": (". Not sure if the testing procedure is the same but a number of people have reported going from the good mount that's worn out to the frowny mount and gotten more vibrations outta the box then with their old mount.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:33 AM   #5
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

What does it sound like when you run it with the belt off?

+1 on the mount; I noticed the shake as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
Warshark73

1995 SL2

Quote:
I had the motor mount off today when I replaced the idler pully. What would "bad" look like.
Well, if you still have it off, grab the base that bolts to the frame and the part that bolts to the engine and try to move them. The whole thing should feel almost like a solid piece of metal and there should be almost no give. On visual inspection, if you see any rubber that looks like it's trying to separate itself from the metal or like it's been cut away from the metal with a small axe or if it feels like the mount is in two pieces, it's time for a new mount.

Overkill is underrated

Last edited by Warshark73; 07-08-2011 at 09:53 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Warshark73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-08-2011, 09:49 AM   #7
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

http://alordofchaos.com/Documents/TSB-01-T-30A.pdf

Shows Saturn method of testing both mount styles. I've never used the official way, just did what Warshark73 does and rock it

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #8
Maroon97SL

2000 SL2
1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
What does it sound like when you run it with the belt off?

+1 on the mount; I noticed the shake as well.
I haven't tried running it with the belt off, I should of done it yesterday when it was torn apart but I don't feel quite comfortable doing that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
Maroon97SL

2000 SL2
1997 SL1

I will take the mount off really quick and record a video and show you guys how much i can move it by hand, When I had it off yesterday and moved it with my hands, If i remember correctly it moved.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #10
Warshark73

1995 SL2

Quote:
I will take the mount off really quick and record a video and show you guys how much i can move it by hand
Take the video how you wanted to show it to us, then also get a nice clear shot of what the rubber is doing when you move it because if the rubber is shot, the mount is done.

Overkill is underrated

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2011, 12:02 PM   #11
Maroon97SL

2000 SL2
1997 SL1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB_erfwRfgk here is the motor mount.
As for replacements, which one would you suggest.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...7257_195311_0_

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2327&ppt=C0019

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2327&ppt=C0019

https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...+50071+2071005

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2011, 12:17 PM   #12
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Your mount is a frowny-style. Solid-style replacement will improve it.

AutoZtoned - hard to tell from the pic (wrong side), but it might be a solid-style mount. That 2827 number has been known to be either design; you literally have to open the box on the counter and see which one is inside.

All three other links show pics of frowny mounts.

Nothing "uncomfortable" about running the engine with the belt off. Starting with a cold engine, the FSM says it's safe to run up to three minutes. But you only need a few seconds. If you still have the mount off, that makes removing the belt that much easier (just, er, reinstall the mount before you start the engine ).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-08-2011, 12:18 PM   #13
Maroon97SL

2000 SL2
1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Your mount is a frowny-style. Solid-style replacement will improve it.

AutoZtoned - hard to tell from the pic (wrong side), but it might be a solid-style mount. That 2827 number has been known to be either design; you literally have to open the box on the counter and see which one is inside.

All three other links show pics of frowny mounts.

Nothing "uncomfortable" about running the engine with the belt off. Starting with a cold engine, the FSM says it's safe to run up to three minutes. But you only need a few seconds. If you still have the mount off, that makes removing the belt that much easier (just, er, reinstall the mount before you start the engine ).
Ok I will do this, does my mount look bad?

00' SL2 / White / 5-speed / DOHC 213k miles (1000$ cash)
97' SL1 / Burgandy / AUTO / SOHC 160k miles (J/Y engine swap, engine has 101k on it) Back on the road!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2011, 12:50 PM   #14
Maroon97SL

2000 SL2
1997 SL1

Belt is off, mount is on. I drove the car like two hours ago, you think its cool enough to start?

97' SL1 / Burgandy / AUTO / SOHC 160k miles (J/Y engine swap, engine has 101k on it) Back on the road!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2011, 12:51 PM   #15
madpogue

1996 SW2

Quote:
does my mount look bad?
Although it's been a subject of recent debate, the general wisdom is that your mount, just by its design, is bad. It's the "frowny" design, so called because, viewed from the passenger side, with that inverted-U cut-out and the two dimples, it looks like a frowning face.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2011, 01:05 PM   #16
Maroon97SL

2000 SL2
1997 SL1

No tick with the belt off! so new belt and motor mount?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2011, 01:07 PM   #17
Maroon97SL

2000 SL2
1997 SL1

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...7257_195311_0_ Mount

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...1&sortType=low Belt

All other mounts at schucks and napa looked like "frowny mounts" from the pictures.

My car does have AC and PS is that belt the right length with an aftermarket tensioner?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #18
madpogue

1996 SW2

New belt is probably in order, if you don't know the age of the existing one. But it's not likely the cause of the noise. No, more likely it's one of the parts that the belt runs on.

With the belt off, spin each pulley (except the crank, of course). Power steering and water pump will offer a little resistance; the others should spin freely. None should be loose, or inconsistent in their spin, or noisy.

Or it may be that new tensioner. What brand is it? There isn't a label or any other foreign subtance on the contact surface on the pulley on that tensioner, is there?

Not sure about the belt length. I know that with the DOHCs, they recommend the slightly shorter belt (778 rather than 780) with an aftermarket tensioner. That 755 sounds right for SOHC, but you might want to search our archives for more info.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #19
Maroon97SL

2000 SL2
1997 SL1

I took the tensioner off and tried moving it by hand. I bought it at schucks about a year ago, I was going to get a replacement but they didn't have it on file and i don't have the receipt. The sound is coming from the top of the motor. With a stethoscope it sounds like the cam/timing chain area. I also checked the pulleys yesterday, The idler pulley was replaced because it was a little loose.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #20
Maroon97SL

2000 SL2
1997 SL1

This is the number i pulled off the side of the tensioner pulley 1001609L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!