SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2006, 09:02 PM   #1
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Default How to change the automatic transmission fluid?

I just bought this '03 Ion and need to know how to change the fluid. I understand there is no filter to change? Is there a drain plug? I see the dipstick up front, can I just suck the fluid from there with a vacuum changer? What is the capacity?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2006, 09:10 PM   #2
THX712517
Master Member
THX712517 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: How to change the automatic transmission fluid?

Don't screw around with it. If you don't believe me, then go ahead and use the SEARCH function to find the answer. If that doesn't turn up anything, ask your dealership about it.

2003 Saturn Ion
2001 Mazda Miata
1997 Saturn SC1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to THX712517's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help THX712517 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
THX712517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:24 PM   #3
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

I did try the SEARCH function but found no actual information on changing the fluid or the capacity. If I ask the dealer, they will just want to sell me a service.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-21-2006, 10:09 PM   #4
10974 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

atikovi- I copy and paste from earlyer question you had.

Just more info,
Some ION's for 03 have a VTI trans or the 5speed auto. WATCH WHAT FLUID YOU USE. Call your local dealer for info.I belive only Saturn has the correct fluid. If it's a VTI there is a addtive also
The owners manuel can be gotten at the dealer also.
Change the coolant now.
(this is my 2 cents here) use AC delco plugs
Fuel filter ,plugs and coolant you can get at good quality auto parts store

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 10974's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 10974 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
10974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 04:19 PM   #5
atikovi
Advanced Member

Found a plate on the transmission that says its a Aisin model so it takes the T-IV fluid. Saturn wants over $10 a quart but I found the same fluid at a Toyota dealer for $3.75 a quart wholesale so I bought a case. I used a MityVac suction oil changer and got 4 1/2 quarts out of the transmission. Refilled it with the same amount of new fluid and drove it on the highway for 10 miles and repeated this procedure once again. Before changing, the fluid looked like CocaCola on the dip stick, now it looks like cough syrup, just like it came from the bottle of new fluid. I think I'll buy 2 more quarts and do this a third time for good measure instead of just storing away the 3 remaining quarts I have.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-23-2006, 11:49 PM   #6
06blk2.4
06blk2.4 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe
1999 SL

You're kiddin right?

06 Black Quad Coupe 2.4 Auto.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 06blk2.4's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 06blk2.4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
06blk2.4 is offline   Reply With Quote